Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Perch pin - does it need a split pin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Feb 25, 2018.

1. I believe these are Speedway perch pins. They have a castle nut but no hole for a split pin or safety wiring. Does the castle nut act as a lock nut on its own or should I get them drilled?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. butch27

butch27

Drill that !!!

3. Yeah... I was feeling that. Just surprised they come undrilled

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not normally used with a castle nut but a "pal" nut which presses steel design used on some connecting rods or what looks to be a normal nut about 1/3 the thickness works also. I use them a lot on our race cars but never on a castle nut as a back up.

5. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

How about a locknut instead, factory supplied from many today.

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They are several different ways they can be used, with bolt on shock mounts, using later bones with the thicker cross section or no mounts, so where should they pre-drill the hole? Drill it and be done with it.

7. Yep,
    it's a you drill it where you need it thing.

8. I’m in the UK. It was not easy to get the castle nuts. I will just drill the pins and be done

9. rustythumb

rustythumb

are those nuts tapered at the top?

10. xix32

xix32

My Speedway perches came with Nylock nuts. Not castle nuts like you have there. Does that castle nut have a cone shaped end to center up into the wishbone? If you are going to use those castle nuts, you should cross drill the perches for a cotter pin. Good luck trying to drill a 3/32" hole through that perch, if it's stainless. Speedway also offers forged perches that are not stainless. Those would be a better choice to drill.

11. Yes, they are tapered at the top - otherwise a nyloc would have been a no brainer... The pins are not stainless, I had them nickel plated. I will take them to a machine shop and have them drilled - better done on a Bridgeport than my drill press, it will be accurate and square.

12. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Good call blackjack, I forgot that all the ones I have used lately included the lower shock mount in the perch pin. The shock mount has the required tapered cone seat that an original lock nut provided. If memory has not failed(again) someone made a perch pin that had a supplied cone and a normal lock nut. If nervous about the nylon a lock nut can be sourced that is all metal in the locking surface.

13. Yes - I looked for a pair of the cone washers but couldn’t find any over here. Local machine shop will do drilling for a few quid.