Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods People Without A Clue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stanlow69, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Google says it's a hit and miss engine. I sure didn't know

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Absolutely.......:D The smugness of those who think they know a thing or two about 'nailheads' is laughable when they don't know the term is a derivative of the original Hot Rod Slang term for the first generation of Buick V8's. I had long since thought I was the only person remaining who remembered that tidbit of hot rod history. Thanks for posting.

It's sort of like the derivative "I could care less" vs the correct and less used "I couldn't care less". This one always makes me laugh (or sigh) when I hear it. The speaker is unwittingly saying "I do care some amount" ........:confused:

But in either case, if that's the biggest issue in one's life.......they must have it pretty good!:)

Ray

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  3. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

"Everybody's normal till you get to know them"....... after dealing with mechanics & the public at the parts counter for close to 4 decades, a few have made me ponder the idea to change my calander's to read the "phases of the moon" not days if the week for 2017. Flux

volvobrynk, rc57, clunker and 3 others like this.
  4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Reeeally wide block. .60 over at that.
    I have no idea what I'm gonna put it in, but I have it.
    The nailhead was free, and I got to meet HAMBers in Phoenix, so It was a total win.

5. Well a Broksville (sic) roadster/coupe could be a 2 owner car already. :D

I looked at a '29 coupe here in town about the time I joined the HAMB. It was still all original as in not hot rodded or customized in any way original, basically a stock '29. The guy who had it had bought it because he and his dad had always wanted a "roadster". I didn't ask but if I had to guess he figured that all old Fords were called roadsters.

Now that aside it has been brought to my attention that some of you dealership "mechanics" are butt hurt because I called you parts replacers. If you are a mechanic and you know it you probably are not one of those people. You can keep reading anyway if you like but you don't need too.

If you fall into the category of those who found themselves offended this is not a retraction of my statement, but it is an apology. I certainly did not set out to offend you.

volvobrynk, Tman, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Hahaha, I get that crap at least twice a year! Mine is a belair 2dr sedan also. Some guys even ask me what kind of car it is, that just blows my mind 1477672865661.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk and BrandonBerkosky01 like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Some of you would do well to learn what my grandparents taught me 60+ years ago : A good person doesn't need to berate others to make themselves feel superior ...

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would be willing to bet that what a lot of the guys on this thread know about nailheads that the guy with the Riv DOESNT know could be written on the head of a pin with a felt tipped marker...:rolleyes:

Hnstray and wraymen like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That may well be true however it is also true that stupid is an epidemic and a vast number of people suffer from it.
    It shows all the time.
    It's not so much a matter of superiority or anything like that.
    There are good people that are just plain dumb.
    Saying that it's all ok and that they are good people just perpetuates the problem.

I like the saying that the problem is that there is no lifeguard for the gene pool.

If you want some entertainment one afternoon, check out the Darwin Awards. :D :eek:
    http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/
    http://www.darwinawards.com/

Tman likes this.
  10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You traded a nailhead for a Y-block? I guess its true, there is one born every minute! Don't get pissed, only funnin with ya.

czuch and volvobrynk like this.
  11. 32n343windows

32n343windows

Pick any thread on this board...Mechanical geniuses, English majors and an endless supply of historians . Non-stop entertainment.

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I have a 1962 300 series Chevy II, 9 out of 10 people call it a Nova. It still bothers me when people call it a Nova. The "Nova/400 series" was an option on a Chevy II, many years later Chevrolet dropped the Chevy II badge and they all became a Nova. I always thank the folks that get it right and tell the others as polite as possible, "it's not a Nova".

volvobrynk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.