Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods pedal to carb linkage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RB35, Jun 11, 2015.

1. I've been working on my coupster project for a while, getting many ideas from the members here. First off, my thanks to many creative Hambers who have unknowingly for the most part, contributed ideas, designs and fabrications that have solved many issues that I've run into. There aren't a lot of ingenious ideas or fabrications in this build that haven't already been done before, although I will take a bit of credit for having the sense to put them to good use in my build.
    With that said, what options have you used to connect your gas pedal to the carburetor?
    My build is a '29 coupster, y-block and t-5. I was given a pivoting pedal inkage with 2' cable and trying to adapt to a base drum pedal. The carb linkage is only 12" from the firewall, do they make a cut-to-length cable? Catalogs show 24" as min.
    Do I reverse the carb and try for Model A or similar firewall stock type linkage?
    What have you done?
    Thank you for your help.
    Richard carb to firewall.JPG gas pedal 1.JPG right side header.JPG

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Here is what I cobbled together, never thought cable throttle linkage was very traditional.
    Modified some Honda murdercicle brake pedal, pretty basic and simple.

Gas Pedal.jpg

ace5043 and falcongeorge like this.
  3. We used a standard spring loaded "bell crank" apparatus on our roadster like those found on A's and up through early 50's (?).
    Got a stock one that's on our 49 Ford that mounts on the firewall. One arm goes through the firewall and attaches to the rubber pedal and the other arm is attached to the rod running to the carb.

On the roadster, we mounted one on the inside of the firewall under the dash. Had to modify the arms somewhat. Reshaped a large washer and welded it to the arm to form a "spoon pedal".

And like DDDenny shows above, you could use a cycle pedal - that's a good idea...

4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Mopar used them a lot in the '60s-'70s, & cable linkages(flexible wire inside flexible housing) do eliminate a lot of travel/alignment problems, especially in "odd-ball" swaps without commonly available linkages, & also helps keep the holes in the firewall to a minimum in any application.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are doing a similar thing at present on our shoebox with a Y block and speed master Bass drum gas pedal. What is the best way to attach the drum pedal pad to the pedal arm.

6. I actually thought of an inside firewall mounted spoon pedal and let the Speedmaster push on that. But the cable is too long for that too. Even Lokar cables are too long, but I'll check their website. I thought I had a y-block manifold mount linkage, but that's hiding where I won't forget it....
    Looks like a trip to Crazy Ray's is in order.

7. same gas pedal as mine....I used a Vette pivot (with 400 kick down switch) and a "hidden" cable that runs up behind the carbs, no holes in my aluminum firewall.

8. aaggie

aaggie

The Lokar cables are cut to length and so are the Chinese Proform versions. All of the various hardware balls and clevis pieces are available from Speedway. Lokar catalog has a pedal assembly similar to the bass drum that bolts to the floor and the cable comes out the bottom and up the firewall. Throttle linkage is one of the easiest things to fabricate on a Hot Rod.

9. I've used Harley Davidson motorcycle throttle cables on a couple of cars,trim to fit.HRP

10. andys car-5b.JPG 30's truck spoon pedal, modified mount and make a rod through the firewall to the carb. Done this on a friends A and doing it on mine.

11. Thanks for the assistance.
    RB