Register now to get rid of these ads!

pearlcraft steering wheel owners chime in !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, Nov 17, 2011.

1. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

in the finishing stages of my 28 roadster pickup and getting around to doing the interior ! i found pearlcraft while searching and contacted them about doing a repop 40 ford wheel ! i want the wheel in the truck to be the focal point of the interior and the red and black 40 on their site is exactly the look i want ! question is , after some searching on here i noticed some people complaining that after having theirs done it had faded significantly ? this is a concern as it would be going in a roadster and exposed to sunlight at all times ! can anyone step in who's had it done and give their opinion before i shell out some serious cash ! thanks brock

2. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

anyone ? im guessing theres not alot who have had this process done on here but surely theres a few on here

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I think KIRK! used them for his wheel in May Cause Dangerous.

4. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

yes kirk did i contacted him and he said it did discolor slightly ! my biggest concern is it being in a roadster and constantly exposed to sunlight ! was hoping someone w a roadster would chime in ! this is the look i'm going for !

Attached Files:

5. sololobo

sololobo

Setting lofty standards bro, the Pearlcaraft are about 600.00 bones or more. A nice Juliono's repop is nice quality for a lot less. But I really admire the look of the Pearlcraft product. I stayed at the old TallCorn Hotel in Marshalltown years ago. Go get em champ. ~sololobo~

6. noboD

noboD

Talk to JDee here on the HAMB. HE owns Grain-It, the wood grain Co. I know he was playing with this stuff.

7. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Pearlcraft is a great product, I have had some correspondence with the guy from there since I have wanted to do my wheel. Fading didn't seem to be a problem he thought.but they are expensive and in Australia so loss or damage is a concern. Quality restorations in poway, California do a very good job at resto and custom wheels. Check out their website, I have looked over their product and it's exceptional

8. There is a tech article somewhere, maybe give it a shot yourself!

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

yeah i talked to pearlcraft awhile back and know its pricey ! plus the shipping both ways ! already have a repop 40 deluxe wheel i picked up cheap enough ! just had heard things about the process discoloring !i believe me sending them the wheel and shipping was gonna be around 750 $ but like i stated i havent skimped anywhere else on the truck and want the wheel to be the focal point of the interior

10. morac41

morac41

Hi .. Pearlcraft is a great finish...any car I build I have the steering wheel finished with this coating...many Australian .. customs... hotrod and trucks have this finish..it been around since the mid 50s when a guy had a little shop in Mt Alexander rd Flemington Melbourne....The business has changed hands a couple of times.and the secret has always been closely guarded...there is another guy called "pearl finishing.com.au"...he starts at $360 for a single color...it does fade as the UV attacks the plastic...but it takes years and the white become a pale cream

Patrick Cawfield likes this.
  11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im no expert but ive read about them quite a few times. It seems that their 'wheels are some of the best in the market, and i would think that if they could do anything to avoid the discoloring they would have done already.
    If i'll ever own a car worthy of such a wheel i'll sure spend the extra on it.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had mine done by a local small shop here in Australia www.pearlfinishing.com.au at 1/2 to 1/3 less than <cite>www.pearlcraft.com.au</cite>. Beautiful work. This is the second wheel they've done for me in 2 tone for 2 totally different cars. Very happy.:)

Attached Files:

13. sololobo

sololobo

D.B., I love your spirit to have an all out cool ride. Sure an interesting post on the other outfit doing similar work. My best wishes for the route you decide to take, rock on brother. ~sololobo~