Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Peanut butter Jar fluid pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by osage orange, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Awhile back, I needed a way to flush an automatic tranny line going through the radiator. Already used Seafoam, but wanted to flush with fresh tranny fluid to clear the line of that and anything else that lingered.
    Had a four-pound plastic peanut butter jar and some rubber hose. Drilled a half-inch hole and a much smaller hole that would snug-fit an inflation needle. filled the empty jar with tranny fluid to about an inch of the top, inserted the hose, attached the other end to the tranny line, inserted the inflation needle attached to the air compressor and carefully added air, pushing the tranny fluid out of the jar and through the line.
    Tips: Don't put the inflation needle down into the fluid - you don't want air bubbles; don't just open up the inflation needle valve, slowly let the air out; and keep filling the jar from time to time. I haven't tried it yet, but think this would be a good way to flush a brake line, too.

Attached Files:

2. czuch az

czuch az

Thats a great idea.
    For years I have drilled a hole the size of a straw and a little one right next to it as a drinking bottle. Folks laugh but then they want one. It holds aquart and wont lose alot if it goes over.

3. That's a smart idea, too. Big jar like that is easy to add ice, won't likely tip over. Thanks!

4. Very similar to a pressure bleeder. I bought one many years ago by Blue-Point to do my brakes.Made various adapters to suit the cars I've owned. Basically a storage tank with a pressure gauge and hose with a female air chuck attached.Top opens up to add fluid.
    I fit a male air chuck to a spare cap for the master cylinder I am bleeding;hook the coupler to the fitting;pressurize the tank to about 5-10 psi and commence bleeding. When finished,bleed the pressure off the tank;disconnect the hose and replace the adapter with the standard cap.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Funny thing-- I made something similar this weekend to help push transmission grease into my avatar getting sick of squeezing a bottle on my belly under the car etc. I took a large old pump style oil can and added in a air chuck to attach an air hose to. Unfortunately, I turned it into a balloon when I added air as I had the pressure regulator way up. Thankfully I had another oil can to use and it worked out fine.

6. Oh, yeah, a little too much air pressure and suddenly things get BIG!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good simple idea that should work.

8. I made a pressure bleader similar to this using a small hand pump garden sprayer. Works great!