Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pay it foward = free parts for HAMB members

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axeman39, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Big Z, if you need it it's yours. I was just taking it to get this thing going and have a spare. Just say the word. and send a PM to Axeman39.

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

i'm glad i'm not the only one who like to do things like this for others...all my friends are really surprised when i have something they want/need and i usually give it to them. i hope this keeps going and that it helps some guys out who wouldn't normally be able to get something they were needing :D

3. Big Z

Big Z

Thanks Kerry. Ill have to dig to throw something on here as well.

4. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

the movie "pay it forward" is really awesome, and it explains everything that is going on really well... im in :) i dont have much stuff, but what stuff i have, i will throw up :)

here is the link from the movie -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvbgetKzrmA

i think this would only work well if right after you post that you want a perticular part, you post what you are "paying forward" that way it keeps a nice chain

5. dgang26

dgang26

Damn good idea -- I need to go look in my garage and see what I have to offer up

6. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I will look around to see what I have that I can offer up. I might have some 1" wheel adapters from 5x4.5 to 5x5. I have to see if this local guy needs them first though.

I just gave a guy at work my stock heater from my 55 and he just gave me a windshield from his truck. It had a tiny windshield wiper scrape and he bought a new one.

7. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

OK, I'm in. I need the hood hinge bolts for my son's AD Chevy truck.

I've got a set of Bob Drake 16" trim rings still in the boxes that I'll throw in.

8. I'll take the radiator if it is still available. When I get home tonight I'll figure out what to offer up.

9. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

10. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

I love the idea. I know I have stuff that I can "pay forward".

Brian

11. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

Danimal, Bought out old guy that sold fasteners shop to shop for over 40 years. Any pics,sizes or info you can give me on those bolts you need? PM me
    I'd be happy to help out

12. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Ribbed or smooth?

13. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

yeah, that's about right. my boss was giving me a talk yesterday about how i always do work on friends' cars at the shop for free or at most for a meal or something. told him that's just how i am and that it's not gonna change. he just rolled his eyes and reminded me that i'm losing time doing it. fuck it i said, i know my friends would do the same for me were the situation reversed. i say do what you can for whoever you can whenever you can. makes life a whole lot more enjoyable.

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

My bad then, I must've misunderstood. Maybe make a rule that pictures most be posted of the item and only pictures of the item allowed. That way one can just scroll through the list of posts until they see a picture which would indicate an item up for sale?

15. mink

mink
    from CT

How about getting a more developed Classifieds section where you can search for parts forsale according to region. And you can through free parts in there instead of playing a game of quid pro quo.

16. here's a suggestion.. maybe you could edit your first post and list all the stuff that's up for grabs and when it gets taken add to that string.. for instance

1. hamber 1 has fuel pump --> taken by hamber 2 who offers 32 roadster --> taken buy hamber 3 who offers wheel adapters--> taken by hamber 4 who offers...

Start a new line if someone offers something but doesn't take anything.. like

2. hamber offers-->

I don't know if you (axman) wanted to be in charge of that, but it might keep things going?

just a suggestion, hope it makes some sense :D

17. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

So, if I need about 3 hours of labor to put my engine back together, in Sacramento, Ca.( I have a hard time getting up and down from floor). I could put up a 3x2 SBC intake..
    Duane.

18. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

People don't follow the rules enough to make this work, look at how much work it takes to keep the regular classifieds clean. The misc. posts get in the way and it turns into a mess...so...unless each post is locked after it's created and it's strictly on a PM basis, and the person offering up the part follows through and re-posts what they have to offer, I can't see a way to make this work cleanly...but maybe someone has a better way...

This needs it's own section on here if Ryan cares to start down that corridor. Don't get me wrong, this is a great idea, but after three pages this post has already become a mess of people chiming in that they want something that's already been spoken for, someone offering said part up to someone else instead, comments, suggestions (like mine), someone not following the general idea, someone asking about a part that didn't follow the idea...ugh. My head is spinning already...

19. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

20. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

See what I mean? Are you the one taking the fuel pump?

21. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

ok, nevermind then

22. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

i think alot of people can miss out on stuff they want if its goes person by person

23. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Ribbed. For your pleasure! Pretty sure they are SS also. I'll fetch the boxes. I'm heading for the barn.

And, Anarchy in the USA!

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

How about people just swallow their pride and post what they need? A truly giving person won't need compensation, but if need be, it could be worked out between the two parties.

25. flatford39

flatford39

It can't be that simple can it???? Your post gave me a chuckle. Us humans are an interesting and developing species aren't we.

26. How about everyone quit posting crap trying to change what someone started. You want the fuel pump, say so then post what you are giving up. There shouldn't be over 50 posts unless about 25 pr more pieces have been put up. There is no trading or posting what you need. Quit trying to change a good thing, just let it happen...

27. jscoma47

jscoma47

wouldn't that turn ths into the wanted thread in the classifieds?
    oh and btw i need a suitcase full of $20 bills

28. Fordman75

Fordman75

I'd be interested in the 460 tunnelram.

29. Big Z

Big Z

Back to business. Since I received a fuel pump earlier, I'm putting up an old chrome (cleanable) valve cover for a 235 straight six. Picture coming soon. Please only take it if you need it. Shipping is like 10 bucks. Thanks again axeman and kerry