Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patina paint tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ants, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shagrat

Shagrat

If you really want that fresh out-of-the-woods look, here is a tip that I read on one of the rat-bike message boards a few years ago.
    This guy mixed yogert, dirt and some water to thin it, brush painted it onto his entire bike (painted flat black primer), then parked it in the shade under a tree. I don't remember if he said how long, but it soon looked like a chia-pet. He claimed it eventually took on that blotchy, barnacled look , like it had been in woods for years.

DV

2. Spray the whole thing down with carb cleaner, then scrape the glass clean.

3. elwood blues

elwood blues

lol i love it!!

4. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

my brother has been painting signs in las vegas for 10 years and he knows where you can find a company that sells pitina finishes in all forms im waiting to hear back from him shorty will post when I find out.

5. JamesG

JamesG

This is the wrong place to ask about fake anything.

6. Fe26

Fe26

Go to the paint store, ask for faded striped paint, the colour is called APRIQUECALITE, it's a specialty product so they may have to order it in. But persevere you may have to go back 5 - 6 times before you get it.

7. tommy v

tommy v

you can't fake this shit :p you got to find it [​IMG]it takes years of not giving a shit:(

8. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

LMFAO............works for me

9. Check out the Rolling Bones coupes. Ken is a pro artist who does realistic paintings (westerns) and along with Kieth (his bud, the black coupe) have got the patina technique down. Start with red primer base ,then sponged or ragged on primer,add alayer of a color? and now you think about how it would age for additional agingby putting on some resist(wax or grease, yikes!!it all out). Spray the real color , wipe some off before it 's totaly set to reveal the age? below. After paint dries rubbing compound smoothes it all out

10. ChopperOlli

ChopperOlli
    from Finland

Why? :)

-Olli

11. rebstew187

rebstew187

I didn't want my battery to show in my rusty 36 pick-em up. so I took an old toolbox and did some work on it to make it into my battery box. it will be bolted in the bed of the truck and look like an old toolbox but will hide my battery. I wanted it to match the truck so I sanded all the corners thru and run some scratched and roughed it up. sat it outside and added table salt to it every other day for about a month.water every day. after that I tossed it out of the way and it's been outside for the last 2 months. the rust is getting darker and darker. not perfect yet but it's getting there. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o302/rebstew187/HPIM0559.jpg [​IMG]

12. Mike

Mike

Why does fake patina suck?

Because actual patina is worn out, bad paint that has been earned over time, usually from many years of use or many years sitting in a field, etc. Actual patina is something to be respected.

Fake patina is intentionally making new paint look worn out and bad. That's just retarded, no respect to be given there.

Fake patina is just plain gay.

13. ChopperOlli

ChopperOlli
    from Finland

Yes yes,

I know why it does suck.

I just HATE opinions whitout any kind of arguments.

They SUCK more than Fake patina..

-Olli

14. JamesG

JamesG

Patina. Call it what it really is......RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...I've heard it's highly overrated...:rolleyes:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. yeh, I am new.
    but I am not understanding this.
    people paint flames, flat black paint, pearl paints, metal flake tones.
    so what is wrong with painting your car how you want it to look?

17. When you paint flames on a car you're not trying to fool people into thinking it's on fire. None of the other paint schemes you mentioned are attempts to deceive. Fake patina, on the other hand.........

To answer the question. There is nothing wrong with painting your car the way you want. However, after having done so, you'll need to carefully select those from who you seek approval.

18. Fe26

Fe26

After you get the patina right you take a coin and scratch your Grandads name in an inconspicous place, when people comment on how authentic your original car looks you point out the graffitti.....
    THEN you got a story to tell, I swear it's real! my grandaddy did that when he was a boy. Now let me tell ya bout.....

19. chevychris5

chevychris5

Do like I did with the C10, keep hittin things, don't touch it up well, after 9 years the Ministry banned it off the road- wouldn't pass the test. Spent 18 months fixin it up real shiny so I can spent the next 9/10 years drivin the wheels off it again.
    OR - flat paint it and every six months give it a wipe down with a parrafin oil rag. Just enjoy driving it and in time patina comes - your trying too hard>

20. pancake

pancake

take it to maaco,

damn whats wrong with you!

21. However, after having done so, you'll need to carefully select those from who you seek approval.[/quote]

Take it to Macco, that is funny.....I don't understand the having to seek approval to do something. Sheep. YOUR car, do what you want with it. We should all have Red duece coupes?

Don

22. bigsteve-o

bigsteve-o

Hey- there's a guy who goes to the same cruise spot I go to sometimes, and he drives an 80-something Delorean. People talk to him because, well, who the hell has a Delorean? I don't like his car, but it seems like he does. If you're into fake patina, I might ask you how you did it, maybe even be impressed with the degree of work you put into making you car look like you didn't work on it. But, I guess the bottom line is, it's like Coddington stuff. If it doesn't do it for you, it just doesn't do it for you, but some other guy is willing to pay 150,000 dollars for it. Whatever. Sure, fake patina is kinda corny, but to me are is billet, spinner rims, themed chopper bikes, Camaros, and a whole slew of shit that other people go crazy over. But hey, that Delorean doesn't have any paint on it at all, try that! Or don't, who cares?

23. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

The "Fake" generation.

Now where did I put my "air guitar?"

24. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I don't know why this fake patina thing is such a sore subject, there's a lot more fake crap that's more annoying to me on a hot rod, like tilt columns, air conditioning,power steering,fake steering wheels, dashes, gauges with fishies on 'em, billet, mega buck sterios, cruise control, hell there wouldn't be any car shows without fake, how about Brookville, Dearborne, Westcott, Lokar, Posies, Magnum Axles,Coker tires, I'd much rather see fake patina, at least there's a pretty good chance that the guy did it himself.

25. Take it to Macco, that is funny.....I don't understand the having to seek approval to do something. Sheep. YOUR car, do what you want with it. We should all have Red duece coupes?

Don[/quote]

I'm not talking about approval in the context of permission, but rather in the context of respect. Most of us would like or work/efforts to be admired or respected. In the car culture, you will find segments who will respect and even praise your work, but you are just as likely to be criticized and scorned.

By all means, do what you want with your car. Just don't expect universal attaboys.

26. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Have The Car Copper Plated, Wash It And Dont Dry It Will Be Patina In No Time. If You Want It To Be Rusty Just Leave It In Bare Metal. Same Procedure. Patina Is Just Corroded Copper Or Brass

27. Blue

Blue

Well shoot me but I found it a useful thread.
    I've had to put a replacement tank on my Triumph Tiger and want to try to match the paint to the aged paint on the rest of the bike.
    There's a couple of handy tips here.

28. Earlsx3

Earlsx3

Lets say you found a great old truck with just the right look and real patina that your after. But, the bottom ten inches of the doors are rusted plum off. You repair these doors and now you have this shiny new metal messing up your beautiful patina. How do you only "real" patina guys deal with this? For the record I don't see any thing wrong with a little "fake" patina. Benny

29. haring

haring

whoa. whoa. WHOA!

Did you say "gauges with fishies on 'em"?!

Where can I, uh, see some of those?

30. xicanoGrease

xicanoGrease
    from Phoenix.Az

I bought this car from an old man that let it sit out in the Az sun for 23 years. Try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.