Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Patience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Definition: the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

Building hot rods has taught me many skills and introduced me to so many interesting people but one thing that stands out is I have learned how to except things as they come.

Who hasn't gotten mad and threw a tool across the garage, got mad when the parts you ordered are back ordered? I have been guilty but all it does is run up your blood pressure I try to keep my composure and stay calm.

With that said, I just received 4 of the 5 parts I ordered 2 weeks ago and as always the main part I needed was nowhere to be found- BACK ORDERED.

I'M STAYING CALM DAMMIT! , uh, I'm just going to practice being patient and reorder the part.
    HRP

rockable, Deuces, ladyhrp and 6 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I only have problems with about a quarter of the parts I order, I think. Not much we can do about it, but accept that that's how the game works.

(time for a "it's accept, not except" thread?)

3. A few "Aw shit's" help me

lucky ink, ladyhrp, Steves46 and 3 others like this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Or maybe it’s patience and not patients :D

Danny got it right ;)

5. Patience, rather lack of-is my kryptonite.
    A part of the build that can't be sourced at a swap meet or ordered from a catalog.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Terrible80

Terrible80

I prayed for patience, God sent me my wife!:D

Deuces, ladyhrp, alanp561 and 10 others like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hard lesson learned "have patience, or end up a patient" - so, often in planning to do whatever usually guesstimate how long it should take - then the glitch hits - parts don't show up, wrong part sent, ordered part not even close to fitting - Wife has more than once come out to the garage to see me frustrated with something - I tell her the part does not fit - her response is, it is a Hot Rod what do you expect? - when I have built a project that there is a deadline of sorts I order parts from two suppliers to hopefully get one asap - could return duplicate part but, usually kept it - if I needed it once likely will need again later on another project - main thing that I ask is be patient with me

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

I have come to define patience as "quiet despair, disguised as a virtue".

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

With almost 40 years in the Hot Rod chassis business I've been tested more times than I can count. I built a few customer rides in the beginning but realized I could not tolerate the constant changes demanded by the customer I was building for. I've been tested far fewer times since I decided to stick to chassis and parts. This business has definitely taught me patience?

10. Thats SOP..... really, I just wanted to post on one of Danny's threads.......:p

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Hows the coupe coming along Don? HRP

ladyhrp and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. I haven't torn it down still. I have collected a lot of parts that I intend to change on it but its really hard for me to tear it down when its a running, driving car even though it doesn't reflect my taste. I got sidelined (again) when I had to bring my Vette out of storage and I started putting it back together. Those danged things are expensive to buy parts for!!
    I realize I need to hurry, those birthdays along with the accompanying pains and handicaps are coming faster than ever..

ladyhrp and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The one thing you should never pray for...

I've never been the tool throwing type, or even really the get mad jump around kick the dog type. There are days where everything I touch blows up spectacularly, and I have learned to set my tools down and go watch TV.:)

15. topher5150

topher5150

I laugh at this thread because I know it's true, and then it makes me sad

Deuces, ladyhrp, Chavezk21 and 2 others like this.
  16. 2935ford

2935ford

Ya know, I'm now at the point where things like that are just the norm.
    There is nothing you can do about it so, why flutter up!

17. catdad49

catdad49

Brings back the memory of a 70's blacklight poster with the two buzzards looking down on the surrounding landscape. One is turned to other and saying, "Patience my Ass, I want to Kill Something!" Hope ya get your parts soon.

18. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I feel I have a appropriate amount of patience, I can roll with the flow and really have no hurry. I also have enough work in front of me on my project, if a part takes a little longer to arrive, I still have plenty to keep me busy. .... No big deal.

On the other hand, the other day when I was backing into the gas pump parking spot, and some walmart shopper whipped into the parking spot and parked sideways to take the gas pump ..... my patience seems to have a limit ;)

19. 62rebel

62rebel

I have been told by the VA doctors to let my anger flow and not let it build up.... so, my neighbors get to hear a LOT of cussing and bitching. It's not that I don't have any patience; it's that it's usually my OWN fault and I'm frustrated that I can't find something I need that I already have. I wonder what those same VA docs would say if they were to actually witness one of my full-blown rants......

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I believe I have mellowed over the years. I always thought I was pretty easy going but when I have to deal with liars or scam artist I have too check myself often. I just put them on the black list and end the game.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep
    That was my very first thought too but I found the other one first and thought it fit the thread.
    That whole deal about waiting on parts always had me baffled because a friend of mine that was a professional builder always seemed to get cars and chassis' built in record time.
    I guess he just knew what to say.
    Which reminds me I waited a year to get my Chassis Engineering forged axle for my roadster, it was well worth waiting for though.
    Glad I didn't cancel the order and buy one of the other ones.

22. SR100

SR100

Of course we have no patience. We're hotrodders. We like things fast.

23. My daughter and grandson taught me patience, when it comes to cars I think I’m just too lazy to get mad.

24. I want instant gratification and I want it NOW!

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I feel your pain.

26. Fred there is no doubt in my mind you have a lot of patience, I hope your T hits the road soon. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Part didn't arrive, guess I'll work on another project instead. Bob

28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Sold my patience on eBay.

ladyhrp, HOTRODPRIMER and scotty t like this.
  29. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Every day You wake up.... Is a Good day, Many daily don't, Narrow it down, perspective.... It can always be worse!

ladyhrp, mnjeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.