Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Passing on the Sickness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Hay, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Did you draw the Falcon wagon (using Paint)? It looks good. The rear wheel arches are a key characteristic of Falcons; they didn't quite get captured correctly.

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    "Passing on The Sickness," needs a little different title, but we all get the picture. Sickness is a little harsh in these current times. We are enthusiastic about hot rods, customs and trucks, with whatever title people label them in their minds. "Passing on The Enthusiasm" sounds better for our pandemic situation. (sorry, D...)

Yes, I tried Paint, Paint 3D and several others. I first hand draw a car, then I try to get all of the lines straight as possible, which is difficult for me. Also, curves throw me for a loop. So, using the Paint & Paint 3D programs, I am able to straighten out various lines and curves to the best my eye can see. Sometimes the body looks good, other times, no matter what I do, it looks off somewhat. So, for me, as difficult as drawing on a laptop screen or on a 8 x 10 drawing paper, they both bring back memories in a different way.

Thank you for your comments...

Jnaki

I have several photo programs that allow me to capture a photo and clean them up. But, I have never been able to master Photoshop or those types of alteration programs. My photos are cleaned up with photo programs, taking out dust motes, blems of all kinds and things that should not be in a photo. Yes, Photoshop will change the photo, but that is not in my repertoire.

I have a tablet with a drawing pen and talk about difficulties... I thought it would be better and easier to draw and then transfer. That, too is not in my repertoire. It is a nice tablet when I need a portable screen for future ideas and sketches, as bad as they are. Ha !

3. I was pretty much hooked from day one on with the "car crazy fever", thanks to spending alot of time with my grandparents going to various car shows in the 33 ford pickup and 55 Chevy. I was collecting hot wheels and building models. I grew up around restorations and building cars, so I have always had perspective on how much time and work goes into bringing old tin back to life.

Now also being a younger guy in my late 20's and growing up in and around the "fast and furious" groups. I will say that with the younger crowd that the car crazy spirit isnt dying off its has just evolved and morphed. As others have stated about the instant gratification, that is somewhat true as guys my age want a really nice car to start with and just do stick on stuff. The wheels, body kits, spoilers, bolt on motor stuff etc. Not many want to take the time to rip the motor out and go through it, or do something like bodywork and paint. Just throw a wrap over it when every you want to change the color to suit how your feeling that month. Another thing is that everything needs to go to 11 with the younger group is seems like, especially with horsepower. It doesnt seem that long ago where 500/600hp in a street car as a wild idea, now you can just pluck a Challenger or Camaro off the lot with that. If you want to have something "fast" you need to push over 1000hp with turbos sticking out and a lap top in the passenger seat. Your not "cool" with a 400-500hp hot rod. I know it was really apparent when for kicks, I took my 33 Ford to a younger group car show and they really didnt know what to do with my pickup as they were clearly not expecting a hot rod to show up. To that group an antique car was a 70s Celica. So it will be interesting to see in the upcoming years what happens. To be honest I kinda hope the market for 32-34 Fords drops so I can start scooping them up.

Dan Hay likes this.
  4. I've drawn cars (profiles, really) in Paint. It's tedious, for lack of a better word. You must've spent quite a bit of time on the Falcon wagon- I'm impressed. Do you post your artwork in the Friday threads?

I wonder what 3d Paint is.

Have you considered still getting a Falcon wagon?

5. Excellent point. The starter on a 4.6 Northstar Cadillac V8 is UNDER the intake manifold.

6. AMEN! I'm still holding out hope for a 32-34 Ford one of these days that doesn't require me to sell a vital organ or a child.

7. jnaki

jnaki

Hey S,
    The Falcon wagon was one we did see and it was a light blue. It had a v8 and 4 speed, but needed some work. By the time we presented it to our son (with it looking a little better), he had lost interest in it and wanted a car similar to his friends. A small 2 door sedan to take several friends around. So goes the hot rod or modified station wagon. At the time, my wife and I wanted another small station wagon. This time it would have been my daily driver if our son did not want it. But, it got sold with us dilly dallying around.

By this time period, all of the old hot rod influence we had given him was drifting away. His mode of entertainment and interest was now the video games, Sega Genesis, Nintendo, Playstation and the race was on for his generation. We saw the light and despite still liking hot rods and cool station wagons, all was lost then. His grades were outstanding and he was getting through high school with flying colors. That was the most important thing.

I have used Paint and parts of Paint 3d for certain art work. Yes, it is a little tedious, but what isn't? I find something I like and draw it freehand as well as possible. Then start the alteration process. The 3d Paint is from Microsoft.
    upload_2020-6-28_10-25-28.png
    It is free and you are right... tedious and a little difficult to master. But at this stage of old age and computers, what isn't difficult to master?

Jnaki

My artwork takes me a while to finish a project. But, at least I try to get a new one in every Friday, for the FRIDAY ART Thread. It isn't fancy or highly detailed art like some of the others, but I am not an artist or in the art field, other than being creative since a long time ago. I like photography and started very early in my teens, but this thread should be drawings and sketches from the talented HAMB members, not just another thread for jamming in tons of copied internet photographs.

By the way, the Friday Art Thread should be all drawings or sketches, but has drifted off center with copied internet photos. There are plenty of HAMB threads for copied photos from the internet. This ART thread should be ART drawings and sketches and not inundated with copied photos. (for some, photography is art, but there are definite HAMB threads for photographers own art work, or copied from the internet in various "arty" ways.) (yard art, rusty art, garage art, sign art, welding art, artistic photos, artsy car pics,etc...all available for display on specific threads for the HAMB.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did my best to infect my grand daughter last night with the car bug. Here she is "driving" the roadster.
    upload_2020-6-28_22-4-19.png