Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paso Maria Commentary Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, May 25, 2008.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well we got a couple of picture threads going. and I figure Paso Robles was a big deal for many of us. look at the commotion it cause when it moved. wondering what others thought of the new show.

here's how I got it figured... Santa Maria was a good show.. lots of good cars. reminded me of Billetproof but without a few of the rules of what cars can enter.

but it wasn't Paso.

I'm sure the show will go on and be successful from both a financial outlook for the promoters and a good time for participants, but I think we have lost something that was more than just a show.. kind of like when Oakland was in tents in the colesium parking lot and the other crappy venues before moving away for good.

the end of an era.

2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I didn't get to go due to Vendor booths being sold out... and I just couldn't afford it..

but I hope it was good... and in reality we lost Paso when they closed the
    A & W..
    There was somthing special about paso... It think the history of the show was cool because you were part of something every year that
    has been going on for a damm long time.. and then all of the sudden its gone...

But I look forward to going next year and meeting up with all my buddys...

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Paso = atmosphere.
    Santa Maria = a great show.

4. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Although it was not easy, I tried not to make any comparison to paso and have no expectations of the show. Was anyone really expecting this show to be like paso? Cruise on fri night was similar (but with alot of local lowriders mixed in, it was cool) but thats were the similarities ended for me, but that was ok. Its not paso and thats ok. It was a laid back show, had a great time with friends I only get to see once a year, there was no drama, limited scensters, and a great variety of cars. The city of santa maria and its business owners were accomadating and appreciative, we stoped and a local gas station to gas up on our way out and the gas station attendant thanked us for being there and supporting the show. Thanks to the staff and all who worked hard to put on this show, see ya next year.

5. Punchy

Punchy
    from Orange, CA

My wife and I really enjoyed the show. Santa Maria will never be Paso but no one should really expect it to. I did leave thinking a little something was missing. That doesn't mean that Santa Maria can't become something that Paso wasn't cable of either. Paso had a lot of atmosphere going for it for sure and I miss the park and surrounding shops and streets, the Moose Lodge, the bowling alley, and the Friday night cruise. For a weekend you felt like you were on another world in another time. For this being the first time out of the gates for Santa Maria , though, I have to say it's definitely a good start. A lot larger area for the vehicles at the fairgrounds with room to spare for expansion. More room designated for vendors would be nice. Hated to hear some couldn't be included. The scene Friday night at the Santa Maria Inn was cool and we were even lucky enough to slip into a vacant suite when we arrived (saved us from staying in Pismo where we were originally planning). We enjoyed the scene for awhile then slipped across the street for an outstanding steak dinner and drinks before returning to the Inn. Lots of great people and cars and for the most part the Inn and the city seemed to be very welcoming to everyone. The Inn's already way booked for next year. I think with a little effort from everybody the show can continue to improve and be great. Atmosphere isn't just created because of a place or venue, it's created by good people and great friends. I know we'll definitely continue going for years to come.

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Glad the rain stayed south for the show. It kind of reminded me of Blessing Of The Cars but with more customs. I will miss the old Paso days but will look forward to next year in S.M.

7. Muttley

Muttley

It was great but it felt like every other show. One thing I wont miss are the waves of non car people wandering around.

8. brewsir

brewsir

Yea...just like going to a goodguys show with a splash of billetproof mixed in. Personally I probably won't go back next year....unless it's just for the day to look at the cars.

9. lownslow

lownslow

my thoughts exactly . i wont be back ... i know my view will not be popular but that is ok.... the show and the city have NO atmosphere .

10. Not having gone to either of the shows,I would still like to put in a comment or two.

Being a "Right Coast" person up until about 15 years ago,I used to attend the Ty-Rods Old Timer's Reunion every year almost since the inception.This is(was according to some)the Holy Grail of car get-togethers(not a show per se)in New England.It was held originally as a get together for club members and friends to eat pizza,consume beverages,and watch old drag racing movies.

People would bring their cars rather than the family truckster and pretty soon that was all people would bring.It was held on a Monday night(the Monday after Labor Day)and it was sort of a national holiday for rodders because people would skip work to get their cars ready.

It got to the point where it was by invitation only and nothing after 1959 was eligible.There was usually a scramble for parking spots even after they had a cutoff of 1200 vehicles(no more room).There were no trophies awarded;your acceptance included a dash plaque,a great two sided T-shirt designed by Bruce Kaiser,a mug with the same designs and a coupon which was good for the first fillup of the beverage of your choice.Some years there were other goodies included such as key chains and a belt buckle or a special edition Johnny Lightning car.

Then the venue was moved to a Sunday because the parking lot they used for spectator vehicles was the local high school and it conflicted.People complained a bit but still went.

Then they moved the age requirement for vehicles up.More grumbling.Then they moved the venue to another location and started accepting a larger variety of vehicles.Still more grumbling.Some of the older members refused to participate.

Sorry to go on so long but I guess what I'm getting at is this:Whether or not the evolution in the show was good or bad is moot;unfortunately as time goes on so does change.You can never recapture the past no matter how hard you would like to.But you still have the memories and that counts for something.

I haven't been to a Ty-Rods show since they moved it,but they still send me applications every year.Maybe one of these days I'll take them up on it.

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

i wish i was there so i could make a comment but with gas prices forcing you to sell your first born,just to fill you tank,i couldnt afford it. i know its not paso,but at least it will be another good quality show to attend,when you look at it we could have lost the show altogether. i am just happy to see it carried on elswhere.

12. seret

seret

Easy Fix, Just Meet Me In Paso Next Year!!!!

13. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Lots of great cars , lots of not so great , $12 to get in at the gate , $5 parking , huge food lines , kind of a blah town and venue , felt way more commercial . Paso was the one show MY WIFE even loved and always wanted to go to , Paso Maria she said was just like any other show we've ever been to . We really missed the park , restaurants , atmosphere etc of Paso . Sorry , probably won't go back .

14. brewsir

brewsir

hell...why drive all the way to paso just to meet you...we can party up north just as easy!

15. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

The enjoyment of Paso and now Santa Maria for me has always been the drive down with my friends and the laughs we shared on thur. and Fri. night!!!! The Bonus however with Paso was that it was a great destination with a ton of old town charm. In Santa Maria I wasn't inspired to set out and explorer what so ever. I did however Really enjoy the Santa Maria Inn and how accomidating the staff was. I guess in short If my friends still want to make the trip as a group in the future I'm in, but if not I probably won't go again.

Dirty

16. Well I just got back from SM and have to say that other than seeing a few friends it really left me flat, really, really flat. I am interested by the number of people here, and at the show, saying that it was like Billetproof meets Goodguys. The show is now a fairgrounds show period, nothing more and nothing less. Other than the date on which it is held it has nothing in common to me with the Paso show which really was special, and had all the draw backs of the big fairground style shows that pretty much put me off attending them. There were tons of cars at SM, there were some really fantastic cars, and a lot that were just kinda blah, and some we thought "how did that get in?" There were TONS of people, just like at Paso except at Paso it was easier to get away from them as you were free to wander away. I guess I'm semi amused and at the same time put off by how overblown the kustom culture lifestyle has become and that was in FULL effect at the show. Glad I saw my friends, but hated how crowded it was, just felt waaayyy to packed for me. Waiting 25 minutes in line for a hot dog may have soured my attitude as well.

Someone in one of the photo threads posted about how there was not much police presence around, hmmmmm, we saw a LOTS & LOTS of cops most of the night. We saw lots of people pulled over (must be said mainly locals, but some show goers as well). Someone across the street from us was firing a small calibre automatic at who knows what (of course no cops around for that one!). It was a funny vibe, we did not dig it very much and I went down there with a pretty open mind as I know it would not be the same as Paso was.

I think the show will go on, I hope it does and I wish it well. I think a cruise on Broadway would be really cool and a good idea. I just think I will be doing something different on Memorial Day from now on, maybe just rent out a hotel somewhere and hang out with friends after a good day of driving the cars. In other words I'll be looking to create the same good times I had at Paso with my friends, who needs a fairgrounds show for that (hmm sounds like how BP got started!)?

Glad to see that for lots of folks it was a good weekend and they enjoyed the show. Please remember those who Memorial Day honors regardless of your feelings about SM and maybe I'll see some of you in an as yet to be named location next year!

17. I only went to Paso once,two years ago. And what I liked about it most,was the fact that it seemed like the whole town was part of the show. Santa Maria looks,from the pic's,like any other show with a fenced off area like the Labor Day Cruise in Orange County. From what I hear,there wasn't much going on around the town worth seeing. I also heard that WCK took over the hotel for next year too! What's up with that?

18. seret

seret

fine meet me in East Oakland next may its almost as nice as SM

19. buick64

buick64
    from socal

show was nice big...but yep is wasnt paso..had a great time

20. EL BOZITO

EL BOZITO
    from EAST BAY

im not going anywhere the SNUGGLERS go. what a bunch of mean kids. rowdy and just plain dicks in my mind.

Santa Maria sucks. what an armpit of a town. although i did have a very cute waitress this am...

21. SNUGGLERS! Seem to be hearing that name alot...

22. Cole Auto

Cole Auto
    from SoCal

Hmm, where should I start. First, I think the cars at the show are the attraction so why charge 50-60 dollars for entry? We are the reason that the spectators who are paying $12 each are there. I can see paying $10 or even $20 but what's in it for me to take a car I just spent thousands of dollars and hours of labor and then $4 a gallon for gas 300 miles for people to look at? Secondly, very poor coordination on the parking and admission. It took me at least an hour to get into the show. 1 line for parking and 1 line for admission. Then if you want to eat or drink something you're looking at another hour for a hot dog. The show very much had a goodguys feel except different type of car although I was disappointed to see more than a dozen billet type cars that didn't belong. I was also hoping to see and hear of more things going on outside of the fairgrounds (cruises, parties, etc.). I never got to go to Paso and I was hoping that SM would continue where Paso left off but it just had the same atmosphere as every other car show. I would like to give my appreciation to all the car owners who showed up because as always the cars were awesome and that's why we do what we do.

23. Primer Nats! $25 to drive in,good for both days! Bands,no long food lines,better atmosphere,BBQ at KiwiKevs(sat. after the show),Bands at the Bowling Alley(sat.night),Fun small town,BBQ at Dan Collins shop on sunday. Best weekend on the west coast!

24. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

$60.00 is high, especially when now there is gate revenue...Food is a sore spot, long lines and not enough places to get it and they ran out of items. As far as billet cars goes, so what, there was a time when traditional rods were not really welcome just customs. What about the low riders or others that display.. Did you bring a car?

25. brewsir

brewsir

Primer nats Sounds way better to me. Too bad I spent my vacation money at this show. Maybe I will come down and sleep in my car!!!!

26. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

Well, I know there have been complaints about lines, lack of coordination ,etc... however I talked to a couple of people that were involved with the event and they all said they were completely blown away by the turnout. Frankly, I don't think anyone was prepared for the sheer number of cars and people that showed up, which means all of these people (hopefully) learned from this year and next year they will be more prepared for the horde and everything will go a bit smoother.

27. eric

eric

Part of the charm of Paso Robles was the friday night cruise!! where everyone who DOESN'T or COULDN'T bring a car up could set up a chair on Spring St. and enjoy seeing the Show Cars CRUISE down the street! A Poker Run is only fun for those who can be involved because they brought a car, those who didn't sat on Broadway and watched a FEW cars sprinkled in with regular traffic cruise up and down the street. Not NEARLY as cool as the friday cruise from Paso. I miss Paso, it was always fun, but the truth of the matter is they DON'T WANT US! i appreciate that Penny and the WCK crew have attempted to try and continue its history but this is now a whole new carshow.
    will i be back, YES, will things ever be the same again, NO, but i think with some fine tuning and now that the city of Santa Maria has seeing how much income comes in from the venue, i would hope they WORK WITH WCK to bring us a better carshow rather than like in Paso where they were working AGAINST US. i didn't see any police presence out of the ordinary this weekend which leads me to believe that HOT RODDERS and KUSTOM GUYS aren't delinquints like Paso has tried to make others believe.
    A fun weekend with my close friends and family on a cruise up the coast to enjoy what we love doing the most, CARS! thats what its all about right??

28. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

usually the parking and food is handled by the fairgrounds , and they hire the people to run them and take the admission $$$$.

Its never easy to move a show from one place that was loved to an unknown place ,

But the organizers basically got thrown out of Paso , so they needed a place to have the show :(

It will never be the same , and thats would have been wherever they moved it to.....

I hope it continues and next year they fix some of the bugs out of it...

Beaulieu

29. eric

eric

and your right, i picked up the local (SANTA MARIA) news paper this morning and it said the city and venue was OVERWHELMED by the turnout!! they stopped selling entry at 2 o' clock cause the show ended at 3 and they were turning away spectators and would be participants in cars.

30. flynstone

flynstone

how about next year go to paso anyways,,,so you dont park on the lawn bfd park around the park and bbq, that would jack that citys thinkin rite up..the motels would still rent to ya ..it would be like hollister,,he he he ..........sorry just thinkin out loud.....................