Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts washer stink!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carpunk, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Be careful how you use it!

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I made the mistake of using a real parts solvent in my HF tank. It ate all the rubber pieces in the pump. Now it acts as a stand for my Hilborn injectors.

3. I work with bio-diesel, and have used this stuff as parts cleaner for years. The bonus is it leaves an oily film which stops surface rust, and can be removed easily with wax& grease remover.
    Standard diesel works just as well, is not as volatile as spirits, etc, so doesn't stink the place out.
    And if you use biodiesel a lot, you will smell like hamburgers.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was a solid 50% diesel, 50% liquid WD-40 man 10 years ago...gasoline had changed, and so did I.
    Then one day I found my misplaced 11:1 SBC pistons, soaking in the Walmart plastic sealed tub. Good Grief! They had a burned-on heavy oil residue (No, a COAT!) of tannish rubber-feeling skin, creepy to the touch...
    "Now, what in tarnation am I gonna use to wash THIS stuff off???" I asked self.
    It took the old standby, regular gasoline. And a lotta scrubbing!
    O'Reilly's has an engine and parts foaming cleaner that's purple. (Mineral spirits)
    Wife Joey brushed it on the O.T. German ZF 5 speed trans going in my sleek O.T. Three-letter car. Wow. The tranny had a 'film' all over it, (seal & 2 'O' rings) but after one application, light brushing...set 10 minutes, she washed it off with her High Pressure washer, and it's CLEAN!
    I might add: My F100 has a 350/T.H. tranny that is leaky, left a 4-foot dia. oil spot, wet, filthy. (I usually do that with gas, as it's my driveway)
    O'Reilly Purple and light brooming, the driveway is clean! (Former cleaning with gas was followed by a scrubbing with stiff broom and TIDE soap, that would do it. But now, I'm SAVED!)

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Make sure a rodent didn't climb in there and die.

Toss a few ounces of simple green in there. My buddy does that at his machine shop to de funk his CNC centers.

carpunk likes this.
  6. carpunk

carpunk

Thankyou il see if any of that is available here
    ( the ozzy juice not meth )
    Next issue is cost

7. carpunk

carpunk

I wasn't aware biodiesel smelled
    Like burgers . used veg oil does or depending on where you got it. But no idea about actual pump bio diesel
    I will look into where they sell it and how it smells

Closest I can describe this stench is a stronger smelling version of pb blaster the bad smelling version.
    I actually have a 5 gall container here of issuable but used bilstien r2000 ? Engine flush solution
    If anybody wants it they can have it
    Lake Tahoe area

8. Deuces

Deuces

Actually in a plastic bucket.....

9. Deuces

Deuces

We have a Safety Kleen tank in our shop now... Every time the man comes to dump out the old stuff and add new stuff to the tank, we add a quart of atf in there to kill the smell a little.... It helps!.... :rolleyes::)

10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always enjoyed the smell of Safety Kleen and the good old Gunk carb and parts cleaner. You know, the stuff that would burn the hide off of you if you waited too long to rinse it off... Maybe that's what's wrong with me?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got Krud Kutter in my HF tank mixed about 4 to 1 with water but that stuff will eat paint an has eaten the paint off the inside of the tank. Cleans good though if a guy had a plastic tub as a solvent tank you should be good. Not hard on the hands if you don't get it washed off real quick.
    I think Purple Power might be what Atwater Mike's wife is using as I have used it and it works pretty good as he said she used it in that brush on and pressure wash off.
    I've used a lot of Oil Eater too but you want to be real careful that it doesn't splash in your eyes. Cleans great though.

12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I use "Isopar M", because it is discarded when it is very slightly discoloured at my work place. It has pretty well no odour.
    I have found diesel fuel to be a poor parts cleaner, but it sure seems to have gotten a lot less stinky than years ago.

I have an oil furnace so am lucky that I can use up all the old solvent and oil that I generate.