Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts Loyalty - Local or Price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swifster, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Swifster

Swifster

As the Daytona is going to be a hot rod, I knew I was going to assemble the engine and it's accessories with ARP engine fasteners. I went to the local parts place (Automotive Engineering in Tampa). The cost for just the bolts and washers (10, both in 5 packs) was $26. OK, this was something I expected. But then I was advised that there would be 'frieght' charges. How big a box are they senting??? I was then told that this cost could be up to $20-$25!!! I left a $26 deposit and left.

After I left I decided to see what Summit wanted for the same parts. Each 5 pack was $11.39 each. They had one pack in stock and would have to order the other. They charge $9.95 'handling fee' on sales under $100 and $11.95 for over $100.

OK, so the first thing I've learned to is figure out what fasteners I need for the 289 and order everything together. But here's my dilema; I like to support local suppliers when I can. Speed shops are becoming endangered and I don't mind spending a small premium to help keep places like this in business. But if the shipping difference is $15 (and this doesn't include the 7% sales tax and the 20 mile drive), when do you go to the big guy? At what amount does price matter.

Obviously we all make these decisions everyday. Do you shop at local grocery stores or Walmart?

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

How helpful is the local shop? The premium I'm willing to pay is directly proportional to how helpful & knowledgable they are. Unfortunately when those criteria are applied 99% of my business ends up mail order. Good luck.

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

Shifty said it pretty well. I try to give a majority of my business to mom and pop, but when doing so puts me in the position of, "Well, I could afford these parts if I got them at the big box, or I can't afford the part if I buy it from Roger, guess I'll go without ..." then it's a tough decision, but a nobrainer nonetheless.

4. llonning

llonning

I always try the local parts store first. Main reason I used to work with these people years ago. They also give me a decent price, part of that is I have a shop. I dislike going mail order, always excuses for parts not showing up in a timely fashion. There are some I don't mind going to, like VAPHEAD, there are other I only use as reference. After I find the part # I will call my local guys. I also worked mail order for a time. The place I worked for was ALWAYS trying to help the customer. If there was a production problem, we always told the customer at time of sale. If ther was a supplier problem, likewise, we told them. You just don't get that hardly anymore. Right now I am waiting for some books that have been taking too long to get here. I can't get any further on my project without them. That is why I dislike mail order/internet sales.

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

yeah, it depends on what im buyin'.if i need an actual part and it has to be looked up, i go to good ol' eds auto parts.but for oil and shit like that i just go to kragen or something.

6. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

When I go to the local NAPA parts store (only local) I always know what I can mail order or pay on line for the item I need. Last summer I needed an O/H gasket set for a small block Chev. I like Felpro so I priced it on line and found I could buy it for $30 and some change + shipping. I was quoted $100 at the Napa. I told the guy what I could get it on line for. He "sharpened his pencil" and sold it to me for $40. The old saying "let the buyer beware" pays off sometimes. I felt good because I spent my cash local, and I got it that day.

7. jmn444

jmn444

That's a hell of a price difference. I'd go mail order for that much, my comfort level is 10-20% over internet prices. I stopped asking for prices and just print out my jegs or summit order and bring it to them and they match the prices. Kinda cold in a way, but I'd rather not know how much more they were going to charge me, it made it harder to shop local...

8. I used to buy local when I had friends and family that actually knew what they were doing and I could trust them. Plus I knew that if I needed a part they would find it for me and give me the best price they could. Since I no longer have this luxury, I hopefully will never set foot in another parts store again. Unless of course a friend or relative winds up working for one. Here in Rochester there is one speed shop, and they are pricey. I use em only in a pinch, like if I need a screw in wheel stud Saturday morning so I can race Sat night. Other than that-mail order.

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

A freind of mine has a race car shop in Montecello Mn , and lot of time his cost on an item is what Jegs or Summit sells the same thing for. It makes it hard to compete for a one man shop.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Here is what I do. I price the big box price first. Then I know what I can get them when I go to the local place.

If the difference is small I just buy them local. If there is a big difference I'll tell the shop that I can get them for $X.XX elsewhere and is there anything they can do to lower the difference. I tell them I would prefer to buy off them but I do have a limit.

Many times they will close the gap. I don't expect them to meet the big box price, just be willing to work with me.

11. Ramblur

Ramblur

If I were you I think I'd be holding AE's feet a little closer to the fire.
    That's gotta be more than a 20 mile hike from Mulberry. I dealt with
    ARP direct on head studs for my Hudson and got great customer
    service and a fair price.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd suggest letting the local vendor know that you are into cars and there is potential for repeat business and not just a set of brake pads once a year. It's a two way street. Tell them..."make it worth my while to come back here". There are several levels of discount that a key punch can fix in a heart beat. I always took care of my repeat customers. If they take care of you then you need to take care of them.

13. jmn444

jmn444

^^^ yup, that makes a big difference too. The old school way of parts shop business really differentiated between off the street prices and regular customer prices. unfortunately, they are learning that the off the street profit is going straight to autozone and advance and other big box stores. And from what i'm hearing lately, advance and probably the others are going after local jobbers pretty heavy too. might not be a new thing, but i hadn't realized that they were pushing for that market at all.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always go to one of the two owner operated local parts houses first, they usually give me the best deal and have first rate parts. One place is slowly on it's way to being dead and gone because the sons now run the business and they don't have the ambition that their dad had. The other guy gives me a great price buy his wife charges me half again as much if she is there and I always take CASH when I go there. The NAPA is a "daddy bought it for me" business now that is rapidly being run into the ground by the kid who operates it. The new in town Autozone is just like any other Autozone, nuff said.

The worse thing is that my bud who is more like my big brother just retired from the "good" NAPA" 20 miles away and I won't get the good prices there anymore. He definetly was the greybeard who had customers waiting 4 deep while the nosepicker on the other counter stood there and picked his nose.

15. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

exactly. You are happy because you are supporting the local guy and he is happy becasue he made the sale.

More than likely he really isnt into the aftermarket and is marking up the bolts off of his cost.... figuring its an odd number and he can get away with it.

Come in prepared and ask him to help. If he wants your business he'll compromise. If he complains about price saying he is paying more for it than Summit or Jegs... give him my number and have him call me... I'll get it to him right.

Mike at Vehicle Specialties Inc
    800 424 8741 x 159

16. Swifster

Swifster

I think I will. It's the first thing I've bought from them, so it's a bit of a learning curve. Did ARP deal with you directly for the sale or did they direct you to a retailer? I'm going to need headbolts, rod bolts, etc. and these are not catalog pieces.

17. Ramblur

Ramblur

Yes,it was direct.Maybe because it was an oddball combination,so basically no different from your deal.

18. i use the local parts store for the regular stuff, i've known them for years. between my cars, my g/fs cars and my moms cars i shop there alot (even oil and filters), so i now get a repair shop discount so it's not so bad. but they can get only the generic speed parts, so that i get online. it's really nice to just call the parts store, have them know your name, order the parts and pick them up (most parts store want a deposit before ordering).