Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods panhard bar orientation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pooch2, Mar 6, 2016.

1. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Am working on rear end on a 28 model A transverse spring 5 link rear using radius rods lowers split to chassis and radius rods uppers both as movable links .

It needs a panhard bar fitment as the radius rods are about parallel to each other..

This is RHD, so the front panhard bar will be anchored at right side side chassis over to left.

My question is, does the rear panhard bar have to be same, anchored at right across to left, or does it not matter ?

I can put rear either way, so no big deal, just curious.

2. The longer the better on any panhard bar and as level as you can to prevent it from kicking the axle to one side on bumps. Work out the suspension travel and mount the axle end 50% down from the chassis mount point. JW

3. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

I am not an engineer but my understanding is that front and rear should be fix mounted to the same side.

The logic being that they work against each other if on opposite sides - if they are on the same side then body movement remains in the same plane.

If they are on opposite sides it can set up some quirky handling if you push the car hard into corners.

4. Good point ! JW

5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Check your regulations for registration/safety inspections. IIRC Australia or New Zealand [maybe both] REQUIRES panhard bars and cross steering bars to run in the same directions to mitigate the above mentioned problems.

Ed