Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage PALOS VERDES HOT ROD RUN 2017 PT. 1 of 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRE48V-8, Nov 10, 2017.

1. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

Palos Verdes Hot Rod Run '17
    So. Cal., L.A. county
    Rancho Palos Verdes & San Pedro areas
    Sat., Nov. 3, 2017

....once again this Fall saw the 'semi-annual' occurrence of the "Palos Verdes Hot Rod Run" through the twisting & turning roads of Rancho Palos Verdes, CA to the eventual ending for some good eats in the San Pedro, L.A. Harbor/Ports 'O' Call area. Hadn't partaken in this run since 2013; Had a great day then so once I got the word it was a green light for this year, I made time to get in on the action following visits to the RPM Nats and the NHRA CA Hot Rod Reunion over the previous weekends. "Local & Low Key" always works for me!

Starting from the AM meeting point of an impressive home & private 'automobilia' collection where participants in this low-key cruise were treated to hot beverages & breakfast hors d'oeuvres', the group moved on to complete the 3-hr. excursion. The "reliability-like" cruise made its way up & down hills and through curves, carving its way through the hillside community of Rancho Palos Verdes past horse trails heading Northwest towards it's coastal side. Stops were made at several locations (Del Cerro Park, Palos Verdes Cliffs, Point Vicente Lighthouse & Interpretive Center & The Korean Friendship Bell @ Ft. MacArthur), each offering beautiful vista views of the Pacific Ocean, Catalina Island, Kings Harbor and Santa Monica/Malibu off to the North. The weather was mild & breezy with sunny, blue skies; Coupled with the ocean views & scenery, one couldn't ask for a better day for a jaunt in their jalopy. A great day along with a great drive accompanied by some cool rides of different build backgrounds ended with lunch at the 22nd St. Landing Bar & Grill which offered fresh seafood along with a view of the Cabrillo Marina and Cabrillo Beach & Oceanography facility.

Last, to give credit where it is due and in the spirit of being "Quick to Praise" and not take things like this for granted, a "shout out" needs to be given to those humble souls who took time out of their lives to put this all together for their fellow hot rodders: Lynn Bird & Keith Tucker from the South Bay area of So. Cal. They did a great job, kept the group moving along and made it a "short but sweet" affair. Hope they find the time to host it again next year & if time allows, I'm there!
    Check out the pics in this thread and don't forget to view the second part as well. Enjoy the view! PRE48V-8|;^]

Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (1).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (2).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (3).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (4).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (5).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (6).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (7).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (8).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (9).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (10).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (11).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (12).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (13).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (14).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (15).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (16).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (17).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (18).JPG Palso Verdes Hot Rod Run 2017, Rancho Palos Verdes CA (19).JPG

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Nice pics,thanks.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

Cool.
    I use to surf Haggerty's and Bluff's cove (we called it little Waikiki) many years ago.............sure was a hellofa long walk back up that cliff after hours of surfing!

4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice write up and photos!

5. LBCD

LBCD

Looks like a great day! Some great cars too!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. jnaki

jnaki

THIS IS A LOST POST FROM THE GREAT MYSTERY HAMB STOPPAGE OF 111517

Hey Pre48,

Great coverage on this rod run! Is this an annual event, always on the first Saturday of November? If it is a semi annual, what are the two dates? We could not find any info on the actual fall rod run. But, in doing some of the history researching, it seemed to bounce around on different months (Sept-Nov). It is such a great locale and rod run that it should be publicized early for more participation. (unless it is locals only?)

In 2004, we were in the Cabrillo Marina area for almost a year and one of our favorite restaurants was the 22nd St. Landing. Not only was the food fresh and outstanding, but the view up the channel while dining was pretty nice, too. It is a 27 year old tradition of great food and views. If you have a boat, parking is right in front. We could not get over the quantity of the seafood on every meal served.

My dad's family history starts back in the 30's in San Pedro/Terminal Island. It was always a short drive to San Pedro from our house in Long Beach. Growing up, it was just fun going to the Palos Verdes Peninsula (along that coast line) for whatever activity was going on at the time. It was cruising, checking out the secret surf spots, submarine races, Marineland, salt water taffy, Wayfarer's Chapel, one of the longest Xmas boat parades in So Cal, etc.

Jnaki
    If you add in some information earlier, more people could enjoy some great looking cars and the whole driving event. The quote, "Location, Location, Location," applies to real estate, but this whole peninsula is a huge parcel of real estate!

It should be on our list of events in So Cal, just because of the location.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

First I head of this run. I think that's the same day as the Aces CC Poker Run, which I've gone on for the past 3 years. I love these types of events far more than the "park you car and sit behind it in a lawn chair" type of events. I wish these 2 weren't on the same day, I'd love to do both of them.

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget to show the old WWII gun emplacements out on the point!----I think they are still there!

10. jnaki

jnaki

missing post from the black out of the HAMB
    upload_2017-12-7_5-36-42.png upload_2017-12-7_5-36-54.png
    photos by Leroy Grannis
    Hey2935,

That place was officially called Paddleboard Cove, but we , too, did hear of other names from surfers we talked to down there. Back in 1962-64, vandalism on our surf wagons and vehicles was non-existent. If a hot rod drove up to check out the waves, it drew a crowd. Our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery drew crowds, but was left alone during our Palos Verdes surf excursions down the cliff side in this bay. Whew!

Some days it was just three or four guys out and no one else knew about it because of the other local spots that broke a little better. But who wouldn’t want to surf in crystal clear water with sea weed below and those cool Garibaldi swimming in and out. The waves were fairly good at the incoming tide and the rides were several, cutback turns in distance.

But, the long paddle back out was what made this place cool. It was surfing in a private cliff side discovery all to yourself. You were the only one to blame bringing the “crowd of three” to surf the pristine surroundings.

Jnaki
    Back then, it was not too far away from our house in the Westside of Long Beach. It was just a short drive around the peninsula to check out the surf spots in our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery.

It would not be worth it today with that long walk and the huge crowds…seeing all of the parking spaces taken when driving up. Now, it is just part of a cool, coastal, cliff side drive with ocean views.

Posted in the LA History thread in 2016
    Hello,

The Lunada Bay boys did not seem to be around back in 1960-62. They either were not born or their fathers left us alone. Two big, Hawaiian look/type, surfers need space when hanging around or out in the water. My brother and I looked the part and we weren’t mean or anything, but the “look” worked for us. We liked the next cove (Paddleboard Cove or PV Cove) closer to Marineland better because of the long walk to the surf and the seclusion from prying eyes. This was the usual look, barren and very cool. Only a few guys out.

Our 40 Ford Delivery and then the VW vans were always left unscathed. This was a typical weekend when the word was out that the waves came in the night/day before:

But, what kept this place fairly empty was the long walk and seclusion. The downhill walk was very cool, but after a hard day of surfing, the long walk uphill was just a killer. Sitting in the crystal, blue water with tons of kelp below, riding these waves…what more could you want?

Jnaki

Ron Funkhouser likes this.