Register now to get rid of these ads!

pallet of parts - shipping advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slate, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Slate

Slate

hi all,
    got a question. If I have a pallet of 4 old bench seats I want shipped from FL to IL, what would be the best/cheapest way to ship them? Residential to residential.
    And from an WAG estimate of 250 lbs, what do you think would the cost be approxiamtely?
    Thanks

2. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I've shipped some huge stuff with UPS, but try calling a local frieght company it will probally be alot cheaper.

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

I sent 2 bucket seats from nj to mid west grey hound at a cost of $84 they weighed 100 lbs

4. 50shoe

50shoe

also check DHL. Transmission from AR to MD was only $60.

5. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

if they are going to and from major cities id go Overnight Express. dirt cheap compared to ups, rps, usps and you can get it all on one pallet. the new owner will have to come to the terminal to get them though, unless delivered to a business address that can handle truck traffic.

my two cents.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

DHL is the one I use for long distance heavy stuff, 1936 Ford Tudor door Connecticut to California for under $60.00 is a deal I think. Local bicycle shop supplies me with free boxes that work out just great. If you plan to ship the parts on a pallet I'd recommend wrapping them in TYVEC and shrink wrap.:)

7. Slate

Slate

I completed an online quote request and it came out to about $350!! Yikes, I'll wait x years to find something closer, cheaper or when I have more money.

8. i'd recogmend shipping in a full crate instead of a pallet. give you a little more security from stuff diasappearing , plus you SHOULD get a better rate beacuse they can stack in top of it. when i need a crate, i go to a local motorcycle/snowmobile/atv dealer..they come in crates from the factory and there is a HUGE pile of them in the back..he is happy to give them away

9. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I work at a salvage yard part time in southern Ky. We ship trans, motors, doors and just about anything else including seats. The name of the freight company is R and L Carriers. I tried to look them up on the web and found their page. Didn't give me much info. You should probably call them. They may only pick up things from businesses, I don't know. Seems like we ship a trans to NY for around $75 to $85.

rlcarriers.com

10. I have a couple guys who want big chunks out of '50's cars - doors and quarters for 2dr conversions. Any suggestions there? Probably too big for a crate. We checked out Amtrak, but it would have to go in and out of stations that have forklifts available. Which means 3 hours one way to Albany to drop a load. I figured this stuff could go on a pallet with any small stuff sent seperate or in a box in the middle. Probably have to get a big roll of plastic to cover it, too.

They actually suggested using CSX - freight railroads haven't done LCL (less than carload) business since they stopped running the passenger trains themselves, I don't know what planet that phone operator was from.

11. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

at the bike shop we use
    usps for anything under 4 lbs
    ups for anything under 50 lbs
    dhl for anything over over 50lbs

12. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

If you know someone that owns and ships from their business you'll get a better rate. The quote you got was with no discount. I get a 68% discount on LTL (less than truckload) freight and I'm not a big customer. That would bring your cost down to $112 and at that point you're getting close to the floor minimum.