Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting the inside of Shoebox drip rail ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by '49 Ford Coupe, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Hey guys.. I'm getting to the point of sanding and preping for primer and paint on "The Judge"...aka my sweet '49 Coupe..

It seems that simply spraying downward into the drip rail won't get much primer/paint onto the the inside surfaces of the drip rail. Is there a painting trick (like prepainting with a brush or something like that) to assure good coverage there? Or "overpainting" then wipe the excess off before flashing ?

Thanks in advance...

2. Pre painting with a brush is your best bet.

BigChief likes this.
  3. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

that's what henry said.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Second the motion on the brush.
    Your side trim on the 'Judge' is amazing. Stunning, actually.
    Lends the Coupe a whole new specter of 'Hardtop Class'. Looks like there's some major reproportioning done.

5. Well, Mike THAAANK you...... but if you visit my "page" you will see that my "big brother", who was about 17 at the time and I was about 15, actually was the "brains" behind the car back in the mid/late '50's .... the trim is from a '55 Dodge Lancer and I've been trying to find a set for FIVE years off and on..... no luck yet...
    The reason I decided to call her THE JUDGE is because I decided to use a Ponitac GTO/Judge hood mounted Tach without the "Pontiac" on the face....

6. MarzLowrider

MarzLowrider

Yeah, I was actually out in Pomona and met a guy who installed a chrome drip rail and I was asking him if he'd ever considered painting it. He definitely wanted to keep the chrome for aesthetic (don't blame him) but said that painting it would require brush work.

7. I didn't have any issues when I painted my 51', I did use a detail gun around the drip rails. Adjusted the spray pattern narrow and it turned out good!

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We painted the drip rail with a regular spray gun before the rest of the car . Went around the seam with body sealer. Spent time making sure we got it well covered with colour. Gave it a sand to remove over spray etc then blew the full body.

9. Thanks again, guys.... my way seems clear............ahahaha