Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting pickup bed sides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 19, 2015.

1. This may be a dumb question but what it the best way to support bedsides while painting so that you get paint on all the edges. I don't really have a way to suspend them and if I put the bed together there will be areas where the front and back panels cover inner portions of the sides and I won't be able to get paint in those areas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

could you build an a frame from wood that allowed you to hang them,30 bucks at home depot would set you up. I build stands from wood all the time to support different pieces, hanging bed sides is really the best way GOOD LUCK

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hey, painting already? Wow! Can't wait to see it!
    Gotta get creative. If I'm outside, I use 2 of my tall stands that you use under a lift. Clamp an old lake pipe, square tubing, or angle iron, on top and hang the parts. I also have 3/4 black pipe screwed to the ceiling of where I paint inside, just to hang things. In a pinch, I've even hung stuff from my cherrypicker, then transferred it to a tree to dry, and do another! You can make a wooden A frame thing for not too much money, and use the lumber on a project, later on.

4. We built a 1" square tubing roll around frame to support the bed while we were painting and I have a piece of plywood that I can use to make a table when the need arises. HRP

DSC00039-vi.jpg

DSC00056-vi.jpg

5. oldolds

oldolds

Hang it from your mothers wash line! that's the traditional way!:eek:

6. Thanks guys. Looks like I will probably have to build something my worry is it sucking up too much floor space in my garage and not having enough room to paint everything all at once and I am starting to push my luck weather wise with being able to put anything outside to dry.
    @chopolds I hope to paint but the weather is not cooperating. Been way too hot all summer and within a week it went from too hot to too cold mid from 80's to mid 40's. I have planned to do it two weekends in a row and after great weather all week it has gone to shit on the weekends with rain and close to freezing temps overnight. May not happen until next year.:(

7. Paint the areas that get "covered" up, then assemble the bed and paint the whole thing together. After it cures, you can stand it on end.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. That's how I think I'd do it.
    Yea you'll need to prep stuff twice and wash the gun a few more times. But short of building racks and adding square footage to the available floor space what else can you do?

There's got to be as many ways to hang stuff as there is stuff to hang.
    Chains and hooks, a frames, fences, L brackets, out of the rafters. Hanging 1 bedside so that you can paint the entire thing is probably going to take up slightly less room than the assembled bed.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I used saw horses made of 2 by 4s and I place them directly under the stake covers. As a matter of fact, I will be painting my bed again some time this week so I am getting the saw horses ready.

10. I have some wood saw horses but I have extended and rounded off the bottom of the stake pockets so I can't rest the bed on those. Would have been a lot easier if I hadn't but that ship has sailed :D