Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting my wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 28, 2003.

1. I Am Going To Paint My Wagon With Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Enamal.I Sprayed Some On A Piece Of Metal And Buffed It Out And It Was As Shiny As The Factory Paint On My Truck. Just Wonde <font color="red"> </font> ring If Any One Else Has Tried This.

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wouldn't. Just my .02 worth.

3. shoebox72

shoebox72

An Intro would be nice.

4. Sorry Im From Seattle Wa.I Have A 78 Mercury Wagon With A 460 ci Motor I Was Just Looking For A Cheep Paint Job So I Could Put More Money Into The Motor.

5. shoebox72

shoebox72

6. donkiepuncher

donkiepuncher

sounds like an absolutely brilliant idea. i mean if you want your car to look ridiculous, that is. to hell with automotive paint anyway, that stuff is overrated

dp

7. BensonStripes!

BensonStripes!

save some RED for the wheels!

8. shoebox72

shoebox72

Paint it with a Donkietail.

9. Thank For All The Replys. It Was Just An Idea But Not A Good One I Will Use Real Automotive Paint.

10. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

If you don't have another ride that is pre 1965, look out around here!

This knowledge I've learned applies to all Hambers, in search of a low-buck paint approach (and remember I used to work in a body shop!)

As far as paint goes...almost anything will take a shine, they key is enough paint, and the proper buffing equipment. I had a car one time with factory paint that had a few chips/scratches. I sanded out the blemishes and primed them in spots. I sanded the primer DRY with 360 grit paper. I got Dupli-Color in cans from the local auto parts place, and fogged it on in thin even coats. The key is to get enough paint on so you can sand half it off. Using 1000 grit paper and water, wet sand the last coat after it has cured, (with a rattle can this would be coat number 10), until it is free of dirt and orange peel. It should now look like you sprayed it with flat paint at this point. Now, with a #1 wool (schlege brand) buff pad (for cutting) and some 3M cutting compound, buff it out with a regular high speed (not orbital) buffer. (If you didn't pay $200 bucks for your new buffer, you didn't buy a buffer.)

At this point it will be shiny. Switch to a polishing pad (number 2) and hit it with some 3M "Finesse it" polishing compound. After that, it's glossy as hell. Wax it, and you're done. On this particular car I speak of, the repairs were almost invisible, and I didn't have to paint the whole panel or break out any of my air tools...but then again this was a single stage enamel car, clearcoat finishes are a whole different story...

I've heard of people spraying automotive paint on cars with a bug sprayer. If you get enough paint on, and don't mind sanding your balls off, you can polish it up to a briliant shine. Of course, I'd just spend the $200 bucks on a cheap HVLP gun, tarp off the garage, and blast the thing at night when the neighbors are sleeping...but that's just me. [​IMG]

11. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

You should get Clint Eastwood to 'Paint Your Wagon'.

Restoleum has fish oil in it so it attracts flies, if you like bugs in your paint, that's your perogative.... Also if you ever decide to put some real paint on it, it won't stick... The only thing that goes on Rustoleum is more Rustoleum.

Now do you have a traditional car or this '78 your project? If so you may want to find another forum, as this is primarily for pre-65 rides.

12. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

[ QUOTE ]
    Thank For All The Replys. It Was Just An Idea But Not A Good One I Will Use Real Automotive Paint.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to rip into you but get some balls, holy. If you wanna paint your car with rustoleum oil based bla bla bla then DO IT.

and WHY IN THE HELL do you capitalize EVERY WORD you type???????????????????????????????????

[ QUOTE ]
    I Am Going To Paint My Wagon With Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Enamal.I Sprayed Some On A Piece Of Metal And Buffed It Out And It Was As Shiny As The Factory Paint On My Truck. Just Wonde ring If Any One Else Has Tried This.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.....................some peoples children

just post a proper intro with whatever you are working on so we become better affiliated........................Briggs

13. The_Monster

The_Monster

Who cares what you paint it, as long as it looks good after you finish suckling a pint of Ol' Harper... [​IMG]

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

and a stick of beef jerky and some of those ink pens over there...........