Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting a fire wall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickles street chop shop, Sep 10, 2007.

1. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

iv got the motor out already. and thought, why not clean up and paint the fire wall. so after i get all the crap off of it and down to metal, what do i paint it with. i was thinking just primer untill i want to do the final paint.

will the primer be okay with the heat from the engine? or will it get chalky real fast? yalls thoughts?

2. I had to make the same decision a few months ago. I was just using rattle cans, but went ahead and sprayed paint as well as primer.
    I used the flat black. I know no one likes Duplicolor, but those fancy spray buttons they come with sure are nice.

3. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Do yourself a favor and paint it while you can. If you on;y prime it while you have the motor out now, you might, and prolly will get lazy and not pull the motor out again to lay the color on it. Be honest with yourself. Besides, if you paint it the color you want to paint the whole car, you can tell people that as you go, and it might make you work for that color coat on the body that much more.

I used basic base coat/clear coat. Keep it simple, or not... Here's the how-to that I did back in April on my firewall.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172939&showall=1

Good luck and show off whatever you end up with.

Vance

4. newstranger

newstranger

If it's down to metal... clean it up real good(including a healthy dose of wax & grease remover), lay down a couple light coats of epoxy primer/sealer, followed by a good 2 or so(be careful) coats of a single-stage urethane enamel... pick a color, any color!

Do it now, otherwise they're right, you won't want to pull the motor back out. You'll most likely wrap it in a trash bag and try and rattle can around it... which will look like a "trash bag/ratlle can" job when you're finished! Do it right and then it's DONE!

-ns

5. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

yall convenced me. one of my bosses lives in sanger, about 45 min. away from me. ill have him come over and paint it for me. he is the one who will do all my paint work. i just got a new (to me) compressor. so he can just make shop here. in a way.

thanks fellers.

any more help would be most welcome.

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

When you pop the motor back in, hang a beach towel over the firewall to keep it safe. That is unless your a surgeon with them things.

7. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

im going to need more than a beach towl. the car was disigned for a streight six, then they stuffed a V8 in there. its a tight fit.