Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razorshotrods, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Hey all, new to H.A.M.B and have a question. I have a 51 ford f1 that is blue paint, i just traded for it and it should not have been painted as it isnt the best paint job, i was wondering how i could make it look patinaded or ???, i was thinking paint blank primer then rubbing some of it off for a nice effect. Any ideas.
    here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

2. 53chevy

53chevy

Can you break it down to a 2nd grader? Are trying for the "Patina" look? If so, the car has to earn it! What's wrong with Blue? What did you trade for, baseball cards?

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Yes Patina, blue doesnt look good in pewrson, traded a 55 chevy for it.

4. BJR

BJR

And some say our schools are not teaching the basics.

5. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Id say you have a really nice 60's looking theme going so far with the lake pipes! You might be able to do some sort of Quasi Watson style panel job on the whole car to hide some of the paint problems depending on what they are...
    -Chris

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

What a waste. The paint isn't 100% so I'll make it look like every other junk in OSR. Go back to Ruffrodders.

7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

PEWRSONALLY, I would flat black the whole thing, red the wheels and call it a day, that should give you a NICE look!

8. INXS

INXS

Grab a can of Easy Off oven cleaner in each hand and hose 'er down. Walk away for a few days. When you come back you'll have something you can be proud of posting on the OSR forums.
    Drop in again and let us know how it worked out.

9. 53chevy

53chevy

OK, constructive criticism can be good! Keep the blue paint! Get some chrome rims (if you can swing the price) if not, grab some better looking rims (OEM) from the junk yard, paint em black and get some chrome full-moon wheel covers (u can get them anywhere now a days). Work on the stance, a California rake would suite this theme (Slightly lowered in the front compared to the rear). The black tires can get you buy. And for all that is Holy! get rid of the grab bars on the outside of the cab, you're not a truck driver are you?! And enjoy! Forget Todays trends, there just that, stupid trends! I can go on and on..., but u get the point.

10. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

+1 on the chrome OEM suggestion. Wrap them in wide whites, slap on some spider caps, and keep the blue. I think the paint looks good as is. If it still bothers you, drive it around a while....when it comes to color changes, it's always wise to take your time and make sure you know what you want.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

11. evilone0528

evilone0528

I think you guys should just unload on him.Quit beating around the bush and tell him what you really think.

What a bunch of jerk offs.

EVIL

12. evilone0528

evilone0528

Scratch that....Im a jerk off for getting involved.Carry on.

EVIL

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

YOU THINK this is bad...??? YOU shoulda been here four, or so, years ago, Razorshotrods woulda gone away with his ass in his hands and bawling uncontrollably...that said, if you post a question on the HAMB today wanting to "make" patina, you'd still better have mighty thick skin.

Patina is "earned," not made and flat black/red wheels simply sucks.

R-

14. 53chevy

53chevy

Yeah, but that truck has potential! I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt. Maybe he'll come around. Maybe the only mags he has access to are OSR and the likes. Or maybe we can talk about getting your feelings hurt by some RUDE guy at a car show!

15. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Ditto....shit, now I'm involved. Carry on ya bunch of %^##^'s.

Oh, welcome RazorsHotRods. Nothing like a warm welcome from fellow rodders.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  16. Some 'ya all need counselling... not likely to get it however...
    Meanwhile, leave the boy alone. He's got a cool truck. 'sides he's on our team anyway, right?
    If anyone cared what I thought, they would read the next part...
    Sans the cab handles - mentioned earlier.
    Patina? just wait.. If that paint is as bad as you say, then patina is on its way. If you want to speed up the process, drive the thing to Autorama here in Detroit this coming winter for some severe exposure - just be sure the stuff you do not want to rust is undercoated. Let 'er sit outside through all that weather and sooner than later a bad paint job will fail completely. Thats what patina is anyway, right?

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ok I'll unload.

Here we have a newbie that has obviously lost his way. He finds himself with a less than satisfactory paint job on his newly acquired truck and rather than come on and ask a question on how to make it right, he is trying to find out how to take a step backwards.

Now years ago when I was a newbie, someone would get flamed for asking this sort of question. Now we have people actually offering suggestions on how to achieve such a look. A tech on how to create surface rust and patina!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the motto on the homepage is, "Spreading the Gospel of Tradional Hot Rods and Customs to Greasers Worldwide." Does fake rust and patina fall into the category of traditional? I thought the board was here to help newbies learn the ropes? Hell I did. Not to teach the the way to follow the crowd and keep with the fads.

I'm done and I mean no disrespect to anyone including the newbie involved, but its quality not quanity.

18. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

rust sucks,always did always will.

19. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

truck looks good as is, new wheels/stance/tires your done DONT FUCK IT UP WITH STUPID FLAT BLACK AND RED WHEELS or "patina" look fuck that. Your saying that blue paint isnt the best paint job in the world so you wanna, if i have my facts straight, paint it a flat or rub some of the paint off??? how in the hell does that make any sense...WOW WHAT A WASTE OF A TRUCK!!

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't care much for that blue myself. I'm not about the touch the "patina" aspect though. {shudder}

As mostly noted, fix the stance, get rid of the baby blue wheels and grab handles. Maybe some scallops or the mentioned panels.

Or just paint it another color.

21. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Truck looks OK, But to me ,
    WHY THE HELL TRADE A 55 CHEVY FOR IT ?
    No fake shit on the paint ,Blue isn't the best but it will protect the metal until your ready for a better paint job!
    Some beauty rings might help the rims

22. 38plymouth

38plymouth

You had to frikkin ask didn't you! Now you've woke up most of the assholes and bible thumpers. I'm goin back to bed.....

23. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

[​IMG]
    Here is what i ended up doinf, looks alot better and actually won a prize over the weekend. Much better than the blue.