Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint formulas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspert, Aug 23, 2013.

1. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Is there somewhere I can get older paint color formulas by crossing the manufacturers number that matches the car color code.

2. txturbo

txturbo

Autocolorlibrary.com

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

That's very interesting to know and I never realized that even existed.

Thanks for the tip. Jimbo

4. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

This is good info, but it doesn't give me the formulas. IE, how much of each component goes into the mix.

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Your local paint shop should be able to give you the measurements off the color code. When they punch the code in it will show them the colors and amounts

6. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

That would work...but their database doesn't have the original color codes to mix. That is what I'm looking for. An original database of old codes and formulas.

7. 2racer

2racer

once you get the color code from the auto color library you might find the formula by searching online the color name and code, I did this a few months ago

8. cavman

cavman

Depending on what color you are trying to match, the components used in the original may not exist any longer. My neighbor tried for a couple years to find enough of the right stuff to mix a 1939 La Salle color in real nitro lac, he ended up having it mixed in single stage non cc urethane matched from the inside of his glove box

9. Yea go through the swatches at a paint shop, grab the closest color holdin it up to your sample, use that code, if near enough aint good enough have em tint it round for you

10. indyjps

indyjps

Auto color library is part of tcpglobal paint store they sell ppg, house of color and their own paint line. Do you have your own mixing station to reproduce the colors if you get the formula for the code? Or are you looking for somewhere to buy the paint?

11. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I have a friend with a mixing station in his body shop.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy the smallest amount, ask them to tape the formula to the back of the label (my supplier does this automatically), then have the batch mixed to match. This way you get a spray out of the purchased material and can adjust before mixing the whole batch if it's off a bit.

Also, some of the shops have a system where the original color of something, say Mopar B7 blue, actually matches a new color. That B7 blue is a dead ringer for a late 80s/early 90s Toyota, Packard Blue is a dead ringer for 1985 Chrysler Nightwatch Blue. The rest is in the eyes and the base primer or sealer color, the latter making a bigger difference than many believe.

13. indyjps

indyjps

What paint system does he have, what color are you looking for. I've seen some other threads on having difficulty mixing to older colors with new paint technology. I agree with the suggestion of getting a swatch and mixing to it, documentng your mix.
    If your friend does collision work and stays in business he has to have a good eye for color match and blending, especially to newer tan metallics, those can drive a painter insane blending a panel, if you're stuck shooting half the car cause it wont blend you'll go broke.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have an original paint code or color name, any good auto paint supplier should be able to mix the color. I mean name brands like RM, Dupont, Sico etc.

They may not have the formula in their database. They will have to get it from headquarters. This may take from a couple of hours, to a couple of days.

I actually have some formula books and formula cards from the sixties and seventies, covering cars back to the forties. They are of no practical value anymore. They reformulate the paints and tinting materials every few years. The old formula will only work with the old colors and paints, and even if you could find them in a long abandoned paint shop they would be dried up and useless.

15. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

As stated above older formulas require pigments that are no longer available.

The best way is have your jobber call their suppler and have them ask for the "best paint match' or to have the jobber "read" the color with their machine, that you have a sample off, that will give you the "best match" number.

I have 4 different paint mixing machines here and just had to get rid of one because paint manufacturers no longer support the necessary additives.

It broke my heart to see all the pearls and metallic's go down the proverbial drain.