Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint code

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Anybody have a paint code for a 1965 Impala ( interior ) black paint. Outside is called tuxedo black, interior as in dashboard and misc. other parts I can't come up with a name or paint code. It's a low gloss paint but not flat. Any help is appreciated and thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

from the GM Heritage info packet. Probably not going to help with the paint code, though.

65 int.jpg

milwscruffy likes this.
  3. Thanks Jim, I've now have 3 guys around here also trying to come up with a code. It's not like I have a bunch to paint, but it would help to be in the ballpark for color and sheen.

4. Why not Tuxedo black in a satin or semi-gloss? HRP

5. Just trying to figure out what the gloss was on the original. Being a wagon there's some piece's almost 5 feet long and as long as I can live with the look no problem. Trying to avoid an uh-oh, re-do kind of moment. Everything else I've done was Impala's, this is the first Bel Air with trim to paint. Probably over thinking this, but seems I'm petty good at doing that.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I never had much luck getting mixed paint that was nearly flat enough to look "right" in an old interior.

milwscruffy likes this.
  7. Exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I've have zero experience with flattening agents also.

8. squirrel

squirrel

my approach has been to get glossy paint and not worry about it. Good luck!

milwscruffy likes this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I honestly do not know what good a paint code from the 60s will do you today.
    I would see if a quaility shop could read your paint ( they have guns??eyes to do this) and mix you some.
    Some of the better paint marchers can do this by natural eyesight.
    They have to adjust the mix even on fairly new cars. A 2 year old car is not exactly the same color as a brand new car.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  10. I'm changing a blue interior over to black, so there in lies the first problem. So I have to spray everthing and just looking for a correct gloss color for the interior.

11. Try the night crowd...BTTT

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

14. Now to see if someone can mix DuPont 88 Black semi-gloss around here or convert the formula to another brand, fingers crossed.