Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint Code: '48 Ford Woodie Dash/Interior (technical)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. I am looking for a color code for a 1948 Woodie Wagon dashboard. The color is this one shown here in this photograph of the dash (sorry for the poor quality):

[​IMG]

The Auto Paint Library lists the yellow as Canary Yellow, but the paint looks browner than that. Any ideas what the color name/color code might be?

There is currently a wagon on Ebay with the same dashboard color. You'll need to scroll through, but there is a shot of the dash and interior. Same caramel yellow color. Here is a link to that listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1948...Cars_Trucks&hash=item337dcddb10#ht_500wt_1182

Any guidance you might give me on this dashboard color is much appreciated.

2. tobias1954

tobias1954
    from Norway

According to my books the color was called Maplewood Grain. Sorry I don't have any code.

3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Call Bob Kennedy in Whittier, CA as he is the expert on woodgrainging. All woodies had a woodgrained dash in this color from 46-48.

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Hey Pete! I have a '48 Woodie wagon with that color dash (I believe) at work. I'll take my camera with me, and attempt to fix you up ... :)

5. Ed, that would be terrific. Seems like many wagon dashboards were maple grain painted, but I can't find out what the base color is. The junkyard pic above looks very close to that base color. Can't seem to find anything about those colors except the yellow mentioned above. But the maple base coat looks like it has more brown in it.

I've researched amber, goldenrod, and many other names but keep coming up short.

Appreciate the guidance.

Pete

6. Flat48

Flat48

Wagons and convertibles were wood grained, light yellow base you could use maise yellow. With light brown graining to give it the maple look, grain it in Florida the wood grain experts can give you the DuPont code for two yellows they use. Hope this helps

7. sawzall

sawzall

as stated above to my knowledge the wagons were maple looking wood grain.
    you might check with the folks at early ford v8 club.. they publish the 46 - 48 restorers guide which might provide the info your looking for..

ironically.. my next 46 will have a 41 dash.

8. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

If you are trying to nail down the hard to do original Ford details like the shades for the woodgrain here are a couple of good sources:

Maybe first=
    There is a very active Yahoo woodies e-mail group.
    It seems like most of the woodie owners on there are Ford owners (there are more OF the Fords than others, so...!).

Then like Mr. Sawzall said - track down that book with all the original data reprinted in it (I THINK you see them on ebay sometimes, or can get them from the Early Ford club that printed them)...
    Think it is for 1941-48 Ford and woodie. Has color codes, finishes, details like that.

The old place "autocolorlibrary" is now (or always was...?) part of TPC global. they are hard to get ahold of but the same old guy is still there with all his knowledge of early codes if you can get him.
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/ant.html

Only is there 1 or 2 days a week, and from what I have learned, if you want the right info., call back on a day he will be there!
    Is it "Jimmy Chips".
    You tube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqnp-JBko0Y

===================================
    Or...
    Bob Kennedy is one of the best known guys for old Ford woodgrining out on the West Coast. Could send your dash out there iIf he is still doing it.
    Lyle Fisk is another long-time woodgrainer and is more in your end of the country.
    Or woodgraining.com