Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint and wood Question for my 33

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Feb 4, 2012.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi guys with my 33 coupe Im starting to get short on the funds for it and want to get it on the road.

I will need a full wood kit for it - who does those the best?

The body is really good and besides some very minor rust repair I do not want to spend the $ at this stage to make it perfect as it wont be getting a big $ paint job, but it wont be going flat back either!

What would you suggest as a good paint to seal and protect the body from rust whilst giving it an old time rod look. Im not chasing false patina, just a flat kind of finish that would not impact on my ability to paint it perfectly later on down the track when its get built closer to a restoration. I'd keep it the way it is but there is already surface rust in places and I cant have that. Thanks so much.

[​IMG]

2. brady1929

brady1929

btt for an awesome 33

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Question one ...Make card board templates and make your own.Question 2. Epoxy primer grey ..Oh and by the way Its nice, Dont be afraid to paint it,If your not comfortable painting ,Paint it in laquer sand and buff ,Just keep it waxed and in the garage when not in use,,,Laquer holds up if prepped right,If you do decide to use laquer dont use epoxy primer...

4. charlieb66

charlieb66

Around here it is almost impossible to get an old car like this painted by a body shop. They want to get to bare metal and come back up, it's a reputation thing. If you are doing it yourself, take your time and sand to a smooth finish on the original primer, if it there. Anywhere you have bare metal use etching primer, even if from a rattle can.
    I suggest nothing less than K2 epoxy primer and a lot of sanding to get the smoth appearance on the body, then spray with a single stage paint of your choice. The prep work you do now will save you in the future.

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER