Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oz kustoms--two cents

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oz kustoms, Feb 13, 2007.

1. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

This is my 2 cents, and only my 2 cents.... Last weekends Sacramento autorama was presented very nice with ALOT of nice customs and hot rods. The problem I have is with the big "B" awards. My Merc didn't win one and I truly don't believe it should have, The gold 57 olds I built this year for John D' Agostino did win a "B", there was alot of deserving customs to win the "B" awards. One "B" award went to the AMBR car, the Barris custom award went to Chip Foose's 2 year old impression. The car is awesome, it has over a million and a half dollars in it, it should be! My problem is, this is a street rod, not a custom. A true custom should not be judged by how much chrome you have on the chassis. It should be judged on silhouet, flow , how the car is chopped, and design. You can't have 20" wheels or square headlights or any freekin billet, but that's just my own personal opinion. Give me a suade primer 40 merc over a cookie cutter red street rod any day. Things are going to have to change or people with customs are going to quit bringing thier cars to indoor shows, And that's sad, because that's what i've went for all my life. No disrespect to John Buck, He has done an AWSOME job of putting on thies shows. Anyways, That's my 2 cents!

2. I've been going to the Autorama since I was a kid. There's always been an interesting mix of styles and definite a strong street-rod showing. The judges must like this stuff, but truthfully, I don't understand why.

It was still a fun show, though...walking through the big-wheel and digital guage circus made it so refreshing to get to the traditional customs, hot rods, and suedes.

I'm thankful there are guys like you and a handful of others that have your mindset when it comes to building customs.

Bryan

3. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

OZ.... I agree with you 100% . it seems as thought alot of people are confused as to what a kustom is and to who the kustom builders are. To me boyd , foose and trepainier are Not kustom builders but rather very high end streetmachine and streetrods. I also don't think they belong in such orgs. as KKOA, west coast kustoms,or the HAMB. just my thoughts on this. And the orgs that do recognize them as such are confuzed as well.

4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I've always thought that people that go to shows for the trophies are gonna be pissed one way or the other.

I'll never quit going to shows because I don't win trophies. I have quit going to shows where trophies are the focus.

What good are they?

Keep me entertained all day and keep the late model stockers out and I'm a happy man.

And no, Monster trucks and Texas bikini team does not qualify as entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, I dig chicks in bikinis nearly as much as I like customs.

I like to keep my vices seperate.

Either way, I've yet to be involved in an indoor car show and enjoy it.

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree OZ with you 100%!!

The past ten years watching the distortion of the meaning of Kustom is
    driving me crazy. My friend took a 40 Zephler to a Goodguys show to
    compete for the Kustom of the year. The car was immaculate and Kustom
    from top to bottom. (Wide whites, hubcaps, skirts, taildrager, chopped
    shaved channeled and multiple subtle body changes) He didn't make the top
    five . He went up to the judges and asked why he wasn't considered. The
    judge laughed and told him his car would have been there if it was not a 1940. "Your car is a Street Rod." My friend was new to our hobby and
    because he was told by a national organization judge that he wasn't driving
    a kustom, he assumed that it wasn't a Kustom.

Custom Rodder magazine for years have basterdized the Kustom word by
    having "Street Machines" as feature cars. Stock Impala with 20's does not
    make it an instant kustom. I've heard for years that they were dead and
    everybody was building other projects. All of the sudden over the past five
    years we've been over taking by Street Machines. I'm Ok with that, different
    folk with different strokes but call them Street Machine and not a Kustom.

Last month, the Starbird show in Wichita. Best Kustom was a '94 Mustang
    convert. To its defense it was heavily modified but the car was all jacked
    up, chrome ever where and everything that could open was open and butt
    ugly. The car that was runner up was the Merl Berg built fastback Buick.
    Beautiful car with major tastefully done kustom work. This shows you that it
    is all about the points with the indoor car shows and not common sense.
    Because of this, the general public now assumes a '90's model Mustang can be a Kustom.

Sad to say I'm not a builder but over the past years I've made it a point to
    clarify what is considered to be a kustom. I don't believe all Kustoms have to
    have wide whites and hub caps to be considered a kustom. But I do believe
    that they should have body changes with a 50's flare.

Sorry for the rant.

Happy Trails,

Mick

6. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

I really understand and agree with you Oz. We have so many terms going around it's no wonder there's confusion and misunderstanding by the judges and especially the general public. Over in the "Suede Pavilion", I got asked plenty of times why some of the traditional hot rods and customs that had paint were in there. Or was every vehicle without paint a rat rod?

7. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I didn't go to the Autorama for this reason here in S.A..
    There's nothing there that interest me. Most people in this town don't understand a car show such as Pistons and Paint, Roundup, Billetproof and a (shameless plug our car show) BARONS Hill Country 100 Reliability Run. I mean I can't stand seeing cars that aren't driven, but trailored (no soul man)...
    The thing that pisses me off the most is what's very common here S.A a blown BBC, SBC all chrome engine with big ugly f@#%ing black tires in the back, tweety bird themed 70's style coupe! Yuk..... And that's all seems to be the common look in these local car shows... I'm done with them here, that's why we(BARONS) are throwing a car show at the same time as this very popular streetrod event in Boerne, to give the true die hards that drive they're hot rods, a kick ass show, that is not filled with Peptobismol pink Mercurys, peppermint green 20 inch rim 33 Ford sedans.
    Anyways OZ customs I feel your pain homeboy....

8. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

the classes definatly have to be changed
    i was woundering the same thing how can a 64 mustang with shaved door handels be in the raticul custom class?

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Well Oz...I have to DISAGREE with you.
    I think your Bad Apple Merc did deserve one of the B Awards.

But otherwise I do agree.

This is the first year that I have gone to the Awards Presentation at the Autorama and sitting through a 3+ hour long presentation where at least 2/3 of the awards had the name "custom" in it, yet are not given to "customs" drives me nuts.

Why do they have to use the word custom for EVERYTHING that is not stock? How about using "modified" instead? Anything but "custom"
    For fuck sake...very few cars there are original, so let's just accept that and not have to include a WORD to aknowledge that they are other than stock.

I sit there and listen:

"and the Customs Class awards goes to......So & So and his 68 Camaro"

I mean why can't customs have a name just for Customs? It does not make sense.

Recently I interviewed John Barris for a project I'm working on and he explained to me why he does not give the "Sam Barris Memorial Award" to traditional "customs"

He said it is because "his dad was an innovator and that he modified "new" cars back in the day & that if he was still alive today, he would be modifiying new cars – not just building the same old Mercs & such. So he gives the award to innovators"

I like John. He's nice and I really appreciate his help with my project, BUT I can't help but think to myself that he is doing a disservice to his dad's memory with the cars he chooses for the award.

His dad had serious "taste"

The cars he often picks are atrocities - damn ugly ones at that - even if you ARE into more modern style builds and even IF they are INNOVATIVE...they are still abortions.

I really think that particular award should be given to a car that is built with the same sense of understated style as those that his dad built - something that looks like his dad might have built it back in the heyday. I think that would be a better tribute to his memory.

10. Hey OZ I agree with ya. Some of the "customs" are just cars with whatever trendy do-dad for that time is bolted on, whether it flows with the lines or not. John's CadStar is what re-ignited my stiffies for KUSTOMS, which is why I tracked down my 55 for a no skool, tradional kustom sled.

11. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

Whats up cleatus?
    Thanks for the compliment, I'v known john Barris for a long time,i did the headlight front fender and front end on the 51 merc the rose for the john ,I dont think he is a custom guy,he might like cars but thats about s far as it go's
    I think if you're a true custom guy its something in your hart or in your sole, i can appreciate all the hard work and time that go's into a nice street rod but its still a street rod,
    the long and short of it you wont see a custom guy put 20's on his taildragin sled, thanks Later Oz

12. Bookz

Bookz

Customs or Kustoms......Just a new guys perspective on this.

As I see it there are Customs where the builder takes the original and every change made has the effect of improving the whole and becomes a object of subtle stylish beauty. The Cole Foster 36 is a good example of this. These cars are descendants of the beautiful Coachbuilt cars of the 20's and 30's.

And then there are Kustoms. These are the side show cars that win the awards where often the bodywork, paintjobs and interiors are created just for the sake of change. These are the cars that win the trophies but then fade away whereas the true Customs will still be remembered in another 50 years for their beauty and style.

13. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Modern shows are political. All about who's buddies with which judge, or who's greased who's pocket the most.

I enjoy looking at your Merc, oz. Freakin sweet IMO.

14. oaklandhotrods

oaklandhotrods

Subtle changes that make everything flow into one beautiful rolling sculpture to me are what makes a custom. Adding "bling", wild paint schemes, tvs, stereos, blowers, billet, and chroming everything or anything bolted down is just customizing. Sculpting sheetmetal on the body to create better flowing lines, creating grills, emblems and trim from scratch are custom. Chrome and billet are fine if it's done tastefully and not overdone. Off the shelf aftermarket "custom" parts to me are NOT custom because anyone with a few bucks to spare will have the same thing. Building something tastefully that no one else has is custom in my opinion. Chip Foose built a new Thunderbird for Ford that in my opinion was tastefully built. Sure he added blinged out wheels and electronics but he also sculpted the body of the car to be more pleasing to the eye. Contrasting is fine when it's done in the upholstery or a traditional paint scheme (not gaphixs that cover more than 10% of the body surface). As far as I'm concerned you can build a custom out of anything, however it has to be hand built meaning no bolt on after-market shit and body work has to be done that changes if no the overall look of the car then atleast subtle changes to make it flow more pleasingly to the eye. This is just my opinion and opinions are alot like assholes, everyone has one.

15. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

well let me say this. i worked for a local car club judging race cars for 25 years starting in 1974. and i enjoyed the cars i had to judge. i dreaded working on the special awards for vans 4x4s customs this was in the time that customs were late 60s early 70s camaro type cars. the engines were molded together you vould not see any bolts etc. it was awful! there is a lot of politics involved in an indoor car show.

16. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

I agree a lot of shows don't know what a custom is any more, whether it indoor or the bigger outdoor shows. But you know politics have a lot to do with it...i was told by a 2 judges on panels for major outdoor awards, that they helped judge or pick the finalists, then when it came down to deciding the final, the one they picked as a hands down winner was not even included in the finalists...they asked why, isn't this about who has the best car here today, and the officials told them, no its political, always has been and always will be.
    This is why we pick and choose the events, big and small that we attend any more.
    And we don't place much importance on some of the awards anymore!
    I have so much info on stuff like this I should write a book....

17. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

You have to remember that John's not a car guy. My wife and John went to high school together and John was never into cars. He has "help" with his picks.

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'd like to know who that "judge" was. I'll bet you $50 he wasn't one. He wouldn't know who was judging. I "judge" and I constantly have guys complain to me when I'm standing next to their car that no "judges" have come by all day. I usually ask them what the judges look like so I can send one their way.

Defining customs vs. hot rods vs. street rods vs. street machines etc. is futile. Everyone has their own definition, and they're all correct. But organizations HAVE to put rules in writing in as specific term as they can. That means that there MUST be a year cutoff. Your friend may have been told he didn't qualify for that particular award.

The Zephyr sure sounds like a custom to me and would fit into the Kustom of the Year award category in every way.

Bottom line: if you go to car shows for the awards, expect to be disappointed sometimes. "Judging" sometimes changes with the wind, the fancy of the "judges" that day, or any number of other variables. With awards, someone has to win, and therefore, someone has to lose.

I go to show to look at cars and hang out with my friends. I have NEVER won an award and it doesn't bother me one bit.

19. 53burb

53burb

"F" all the shows! Cars are meant to be driven and then looked at when your passin someone on the freeway leavin them in smoke!!!!!!!!! KNUX!

20. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Glad I'm not the only one....I go to the shows for the comraderie and the chance to spend some time with car guys/gals.... I've not won a thing....EVER. I build for me and no one else.

What does piss me off is the guys that win best home built award. (not to pick on Good guys) the last J-ville GG show the dude who one best home built never turned a wrench on the car....I should know, I towed it to its new owner, the dude the had it won it as the turkey run give away car a few years prior, yet the guy that won was braggin it up about how he did this and that and what he did to the headlight treatment, etc...he didnt do shit.

furthermore, I saw many other rides around that outclassed him and his POS in spades; no I wasnt upset that I didnt win, rather that many others rides who I knew without a doubt were homebuilt and higher class than him didnt....

Agreed though, I've seen the same guy win best in show year after year at the Emilia island show and its a showroom 03 vette with some bolt on carbon fiber engine covers...go figure. Its all about whos pocket is getting lined or who needs a favor etc.

OZ you build some seriously cool chit....keep it up.

21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Kirk,

I would love to make a bet just for the competition but my info is all second
    hand. I do remember he did talk to one of the GoodGuy "Officials" and his car
    was near by and was told that his car was a pre-49 so it would not be considered
    as a custom. (This happened about five years ago.) I told this story to show guys how
    damaging words can be. It doesn't matter what National organization official or
    a judge that you talk to. If someone that is in the know says that A Custom cannot be
    below a '49 then sad to say it becomes law.

Same thing with Magazine publications showing '64 Chevys with big wheels and
    bag'd calling them customs....... All this accomplishes is confusion.

We have a lot of new people joinning our hobby and they need to be told correctly
    on whats considered a Kustom.

Sorry Oz to go a little off topic.

Happy Trails,

Mick

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hey, S.K.K.

I totally agree that it's confusing. I wrote an editorial about it a while ago and asked people who I consider experts in the hobby to give me definitions of the major terms. Not surprisingly all of them had different answers to each of the terms, which suported the point to my piece.

There is no UNIVERSAL clear cut definition to kustom or any other hot rodding category term...

..but we know them when we see them!

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

That stuff DEFINITELY SUCKS! I have heard similar stories more than once, but there is no reasonable way to prove that someone is lying about building the car.

As for OZ....

For what I consider Kustoms - you are THE MAN!!! I love your builds. I, for one, know the difference between car builders and check writers who get credit as builders.

Keep up the good work!

24. yep

25. that was an interesting contribution to a 3 year old thread :D

26. Shows = egorama and politics.

For me shows are an opp to check out some tasty rides and touch base with MY kinda people.

The type that BUILD and WRENCH on and DRIVE their OWN cars.

There.

I said it.

Rat

27. padorey

padorey

I am a poor boy ftom Tucson AZ. Self builder w/helps from friends. In 2008 I did the Good Guys Pleasonsaton, West Cost TRADITIONAL Custom of the year. I

28. padorey

padorey

I grew up in the 50's & 60's and a 1956 Chrysler with a late model top is NOT a TRADITIONAL Custom
    My 53 Buick is a Traditional custom, NO BILLET
    I go to showes to show my car, I know I cann't compete with the BIG BOYS but I have fun

poor boy

29. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

old ass thread! I'm sure Oz is over it...He's got too much talent to still be worried bout it