Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Overhead Hoist...on second thought

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Feb 1, 2022.

1. clem

clem

no, but I did really appreciate how the whole load relied on one cast ( dubious quality ? ) alloy pulley with equally dubious size centre pin………..

ekimneirbo likes this.
  2. I worked on a buddy's car over at his inlaw's garage years back. He hung the chain hoist from a rafter, we did use a 4" x 4" post on either side of the car... just in case...

rpm56 and ekimneirbo like this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Isn't that how professional engineers do it............minimize cost by using the least capable part that will do the job? :p:p:p:p:p:p

rpm56 and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. You seem to be implying that professional engineers will promote inferior or unsafe products to meet cost constraints......that is patently wrong. Any design will start with whatever performance requirements are set by the company/person paying the bills. Professional engineers have technical design standards to uphold, which all include safety factors that cover maximum anticipated static, dynamic and repetitive (fatigue) loading, environmental effects, as well as unknowns in material processing and fabrication qualities, etc. They are also held liable for their failure to adhere to these standards.

The cost is whatever design will meet the technical requirements at the least cost....not a design that will sacrifice quality to meet a cost threshold.

73RR, patterg2003, Paul and 1 other person like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

No, this is the theory of most people when making purchases. That`s why the dollar store and Harbor freight are so dam busy.

impala4speed, ClayMart and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. What did John Glenn say as he first orbited the earth in the Mercury capsule?

'I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of 2 million parts — all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract. '

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m going to mention it one more time….If you use your rafters to lift an engine or something heavy you should spread out the force….AND put in temporary supports close to the job! Such as a couple of 4x4s set up for support on either side of your car! Just use the rafters for stability!

Bones

rpm56, impala4speed, X-cpe and 2 others like this.

8. Experience??
    I agree.

Ben

ekimneirbo and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No , not experience, just observation. The design of rafters or trusses puts the strength in the top rail, for the roof. The weight of the roof is spread out all over the building. The main job of the bottom board in a truss is to keep the two top rails from spreading . They even have to have help from the top rail to keep from sagging under their own weight, let alone an engine!
    But with cross boards and some scabbing with 4x4 support, a person could lift almost anything!
    My Dad thought me about “ “force “ early in my life.

Bones

firstinsteele and ekimneirbo like this.
  10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I wrote a long response about the problems I have had with American Name Brand appliances in the past year as well as some Asian Name brands. I deleted it because its not Hamb related and I don't want to drift the thread. Suffice it to say that I spent close to $5000 last 2 years on repairs and replacement of poorly designed and engineered appliances, so it isn't just Harbor Freight stuff thats one step above junk. Its the designs that are poor.
    Boneyard51 is correct that proper support and spreading the load are two main goals to consider when building any support system.:)

clem likes this.
    clem likes this.
  13. clem

clem

Quote:
    .Absolutely correct! BUT.......one cannot "eyeball"/guess at the proper support and other load considerations. It will take someone well versed in structural design/analysis to determine what is correct and safe. Life and limb at at stake here.......

@hotrodart, I think that you and I are beating a dead horse………

just hoping that one day someone doesn’t ask - “what happened to so&so, he used to be on here every day, and haven’t seen him lately “ and we later find out his home built crane collapsed on him…..

ClayMart and 73RR like this.
  14. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

4"x8" steel I beam, on top of the walls with a 4"x6" post under.

Attached Files:

15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure that's not the way it worked on board the Challenger spacecraft. Lowest bidder got the job.

16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And then you can both sit around playing with your computers telling everybody else, " I told you so ".

Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

That's a bit dramatic , don't you think ? , A person's in more danger walking across the street than working in his garage , I'd surmise . One does not need an engineering degree to build things that are safe , observation of what's worked & what hasn't over a lifetime is generally sufficient to keep one safe ! Ever watch " Engineering Disasters " ?

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

In the upholstery business, my salesman told me the rafter broke when a guy used clothes hangers to hang his ruminates on. Must have had a few.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. clem

clem

maybe, - sorry - just trying to make a point, - seems to fall on deaf ears, - time to give up trying to give advice.
    Again, my apologies !

73RR likes this.
  20. clem

clem

my ethics don’t work like that,
    I have tried to be helpful, - Sorry to all I have offended !

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You can lead a horse to water , but you can't make him drink .......unless you're the gov't.....

Boneyard51 and clem like this.
  22. You are way off base here......You need to read the report issued by NASA........the engineers were overruled by managers.......the engineers were begging to hold off the launch until the temperature was up enough to let the o-rings become pliable. Instead the managers wanted to stay on the scheduled launch time.......and the rest is history.

23. You do not need an engineering degree to build safe structures, but you do need to follow the building codes.........which were written by engineers. Otherwise you will be employing "trial and error", which might work the first time, but might not......

BTW, most failures on that TV show are due to operator errors......maybe you cannot determine the difference?

73RR, clem and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

While I applaud the folks here with degrees, and I have a couple, also, but just because you don’t have a “ degree” in engineering, doesn’t mean you can’t build something safe.
    My degrees are in other things, I have built many “ things “ that have worked great with no fail on any of them! That is because I “ over build” everything! Always had a reputation for that, but it got me along.

After 50 years or more so seeing what works and what doesn’t and what failed, I know how to build things “ safe” . Lots of things I build or helped build are still functioning perfectly sixty+ years later! And they are made out if steel, not wood!
    Now, I would not recommend anyone build anything…..like Clint said “ a man just has to know his limitations “ !
    I know mine and try to never step out of them! But a simple hoist to lift an engine…I got this!

Bones

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  25. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

"Brick Shithouses" are traditional. <thumbs-up> ;)

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a question and it pertains to measurements, loads and how stuff works. Is the fact that everyone else in the United States uses a ruler or tape measure marked in half inches, quarters, eighths, sixteenths, and so on and the Engineers use one marked in tenths of an inch the reason for not being able to bring highway and bridge surfaces to the same elevation? Looks like you guys could get on the same page with the rest of the country. ;)

Boneyard51, Fitty Toomuch and rpm56 like this.
  28. X-cpe

X-cpe

Raising my kids gave me another take on that. You can't "make" anybody do anything, if they have any strength of character . You can only "make" them real glad they did or damn sorry they didn't.

Boneyard51 and rpm56 like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Like a car wreck, I had to look.
    I hope the OP has it covered;)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just think of how much we Wouldn't have if wed always listened to engineers :rolleyes:
    Building codes around most rural areas are a joke !
    You seem so defensive ?

Boneyard51 likes this.