Register now to get rid of these ads!

Out of the shadows

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by TBob66, Apr 1, 2021.

1. TBob66

TBob66

Just a quick introduction. Been around, in and out for a while. My thing has always been 60's mustangs. 65/66 to be fully honest. Completed what I consider my dream car, a 65 Fastback, a few years back and have been enjoying it and a clean garage for a bit!
    A couple years ago something caught my eye and being a deal to good to pass up I grabbed it. Done some work along the way but mainly have been just collecting parts up until this point. Well, the time has come to get serious. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think it's cool and am excited to get it rolling and figured I'd share.
    This project is a 1952 Ford F1 that I picked up out west as a stalled stock restoration. The older gentlemen who was doing the work simply couldn't carry on and after a while it was decided to sell. Timing is everything in life and for at least this one time mine was excellent.
    The truck itself was very nearly finished. It had a fully restored driveline and chassis. The bed and cab finish painted. All new wiring and interior and upholstery. All that was majorly left to complete was to fit and paint the fenders, doors and hood. Well, I say fenders when it was actually missing the rear pair. I had since found a set in CO and flew there to pick them up and drive them back home here, to the Chicago area. So naturally, in true hot rodder fashion...I took it all apart. Nothing wrong with any of the prior work, the man was a very talented body man in his working career. Its just that I needed to make it mine. I'm sure anyone here can understand that. IMG_0270.jpg

2. TBob66

TBob66

So the goal for this one is to be a driver/cruiser.
    The best part of all will be the engine sitting in front of the T5 transmission. Originally, a '52 came from Ford with a 8BA 239 c.i. flathead. I am currently rebuilding the rebuilt engine that came in the truck in my garage right now. I've always built my own engines and could not resist the urge to do my first flathead. Just too cool. That's what got me to finally introduce myself here. Having lurked quite a while I know there is a ton of knowledge here that I hope to be able to tap into as I move along.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  3. TBob66

TBob66

Oh, one other thing that might be of interest. The engine that I am rebuilding myself won't be the actual engine that goes in the truck. I've got other plans for it. Being that a big old fat fendered F1 is a slight bit more hefty than say a '31 Model A it seemed something a bit more potent would be a good idea. So for the first time in my life I am having someone else build an engine for me. H & H will be providing the "longblock" for this one. Bored, stroked, ported and relieved. Steel mains. The works. When it gets here I will finish it off and have the perfect jewel to sit up top.
    stack.jpg

VANDENPLAS and guthriesmith like this.
  4. Welcome to the HAMB. I live near Schaumburg.
    Nice Ford pickup.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Man, when you do a flatmotor you go for the gusto!!

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Wow on the flathead with the blower. That looks great. You might think about the small size of those 3 small air filters as they likely will be starving for air to feed that blower & engine. Options to that might be to either get a huge air filter that will sit above all 3 (you might have to fab that) OR to get the carb bases to offset them where you can use something like 7" - 9" filters.
    Even with those 2 two barrel Webbers shown in my avatar photo here on my 6 cylinder Chevy engine I used offset adapters on top of the carbs to use those larger filters.
    There have been many posts here on the HAMB about the small filters starving engines of air.
    Please post more photo's and info as work progresses. Jimmie

7. TBob66

TBob66

I picked those air cleaners up second hand on a pretty good deal knowing full well they might have limiting effect on the engine. Couple things work in my favor the first being they will stick up through the hood so they will at least be pulling in cooler air. I also thought of possibly stacking two elements in each. There is always making a custom air cleaner as well, as you suggest.

8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi again. Not sure how high that current set up will be above the hood but if you double stack those filter elements that will add another #" - 4" there. Will all this effect your field of vision across the engine. That could be a problem driving in traffic. Likely when driving in traffic you will have problems with other drivers not looking whey are going and looking at your ride & all that sticking up in the air. Good luck, Jimmie

9. Welcome to the hamb!

Here is a little inspiration for you, my pal Dave finished up his pickup last year. HRP

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi again. I was looking at the hood and got to thinking that with that monster blower & carbs sticking out the top that if you did not put the side trim and hood badge back on that would be cool places for some small to medium flames to be leaking out of if you added them to the paint job. Just a thought.
    Jimmie