Register now to get rid of these ads!

out of round

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by potter142, Feb 8, 2011.

1. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

I just found out from the wheel alinement people that my front wire wheels
    are out of round! They are relitively new after market wheels. Is there
    anyone (shop) that can straigthen these wheels? Buying new would do it but
    the price seems too much to pay.

2. i know theres a shop here that can straighten them out, doesnt help for how far you are but it CAN be done.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Straightening a bent wheel is one thing, correcting an out of round condition is quite another!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Out of round or to they have lateral runout? In otherwords we need a bit more informaton.

Are you saying that the front end guy said that the tires are out of round? or when you have the car jacked up and spin the tire that it has a side to side wobble to it or the rim?
    What kind of wheel and what kind of tire?

Sometimes if the tire is out of round on the rim you can break it down and rotate it 180 degrees on the rim and air it back up and get things to work better. That sometimes works for tires that are hard to balance too.

And I agree with Thunderbiridesq in that it isn't that difficult for a wheel shop to strraighten a wheel but fixing one that is out of round will be tough at best.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Axially or radially out of round? How much? What size wheels?

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

What shop please?

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

There's a place here in Chi town that does it, I see the truck every now and then, they go to body shops and pick up the collision rims and or rims that get sucked into one of these lovely Chi town car eating potholes. They specifically say aluminum. let me go hunting and I'll repost in an edit my findings. Hmm, www.rimrepaircenter.com, this is in Chicago, but maybe they can answer some ?'s. Come to think of it, if they are wires you should be able to have a motorcycle shop true them up, you could try some of those as well.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  8. pitman

pitman

There is a urethane sledge hammer that does work in straightening bent alloy wheels.
    Simply: cardboard sheet placed on floor, unmounted wheel placed down on the sheet, whack! check for movement, place on wheel balance machine and turn it. In three to four hits most bent rims could be "trued". I'd certainly entertain using this method on a steel rim.

9. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Are they still covered by any sort of warranty? If so then contact the manufacturer.

If not, then possibly Dayton Wire Wheels can help you out.

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I have found brand new steel wheels 3/8" out of round and had the place I bought them tell me that was normal. I had a set on a pickup and couldn't get any more new ones so I did like mentioned, break the tire down, rotate 90 degrees, air up and check balance. After checking the balance at 4 different points, pick the one that takes the least weight.

11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Front true spoke wire wheels correct? You should be able to get them back in shape with a spoke wrench and a spindle. If you raced dirt bikes you had a spoke wrench or you didn't race for long, hell I would bust 2 or 3 a week. If nothing else you should be able to get them back to relative trueness, then they could balance them. You may want to ask this on Jockey Journal.

12. Its my experience that most new car dealers have people 'round that do this stuff out of a truck (I'm in Chicago, too, will look when I get back to work).
    Possibly you could ask if you're friendly with one.

Cosmo

13. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

Thank ya'll for all the info, not sure what I'll do but I'll need to do something.
    The rims are kind of oval shaped....... not much but enough to put one-hell-of
    a shake at hyway speeds. I checked into replacement costs and I'd rather
    not deal with that. So maybe a dead blow hammer and some serious pounding
    is next in order. I was just getting my "35" back on the road.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, are they real wire wheels, or something that just looks like they are? If they're real wire wheels, then serious pounding isn't going to accomplish much. It's been said on this thread a couple of times that they can be straightened by tweaking the spoke tension. I've laced a bunch of Harley wheels, and it takes some time to get them right, but with enough patience you can pretty much get them dead true. Loosen the spokes at the smaller diameter of your "oval" and tighten the ones at the larger diameter.

15. badshifter

badshifter

What brand? Welded spokes or real spokes? I seriously can't imagine making the situation better with a dead blow hammer. And if you could true them with a dead blow, imagine how easily they would deform the first time you hit a bump or a pothole?

16. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

Ditto.

If real spoke wheels a dial indicator mounted on a magnetic base will show out of round and side to side runout. I don't know what it would cost to have Dayton Wheel fix them, but I think I'd give it a try first myself...

I used to work at Dayton Wheel and still have a contact there if you want to go that route.

17. williebill

williebill

As others have said,a hammer won't help if they're out of round.I've built bicycle wheels for years,done a few motorcycle wheels,fixed a couple of Brit wire wheels,too.All use the same techniques,and principles,but it takes a lot more force to move car rims back into shape than bike rims.If it has adjustable spokes,it can probably be fixed.
    It isn't magic.
    OK,it really is,like I tell some of my customers,first you burn the incense,turn on the black light,and put on the robe.Then you get started.

18. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

I didn't actually mean I was going to straigthen out the wheels with a hammer
    I just want to beat the hell out them. I think I'd feel better about buying new wheels if these were completely dead. Probably won't do that.... just a thought.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Check with a dealer used car manager for a local company that straightens wheels. If the spokes are adjustable you will need a different shop like a motorcycle shop. We have 2 shops in our area that straighten and repair bent and damaged wheels.

20. pitman

pitman

Bicycle spoke wheels are an art to get right! The spoke tension and alignment calls for a magic touch. The Hammer was for AL rim faces.

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

x2...amen brother.