Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT - TLC comes after the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 6, 2004.

1. cool that we were asked

2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad I'm not the first one to us the words selling out but t.v. people just suck my will to live.
    I agree with you Ryan good decision.

3. Iceberg

Iceberg

I guess you are right, I would not like to see a show about traditional rods & customs. I would much rather see a couple of disfunctional assholes build bikes, or a crazy fuck tear apart a car and make a lawn mowers out of it, or Boyd Coddingbuck building mega buck repli-cars. Shit man, no publicity is bad publicity. Think of the young guys that maybe would get into our hobbie instead of building another fucking rice burner. I guess I missed out on the "making a fucking anti-social statement" part when I built my hot rod pickup.

4. I gotta agree with Iceberg on this one!!! Finaly a cool concept of a learning show !!!that includes the HAMB comes along and you guys fall in like sheep??? You all might as well have occ and wcc shirts you certainly act like the people that wear them!!!

5. hatch

hatch
    from house

I'm tired of shit I like becoming normal....keep the HAMB abnormal forever. [​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Iceburg, Slazzen, you two going to come up with the TONS of extra cash it would cost to keep this place in operation if the general masses started arriving here in droves?

If either of you have a traditional hot rod shop contact TLC and offer them the opportunity to film the whole build at your place. I'm sure alot of HAMB folks would come for a week or two to help you build something cool while being filmed.

7. nailhead_sled

nailhead_sled

Great response Ryan. A million thanks for not bringing the HAMB into living rooms worldwide.

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

[ QUOTE ]
    Iceburg, Slazzen, you two going to come up with the TONS of extra cash it would cost to keep this place in operation if the general masses started arriving here in droves?

If either of you have a traditional hot rod shop contact TLC and offer them the opportunity to film the whole build at your place. I'm sure alot of HAMB folks would come for a week or two to help you build something cool while being filmed.

[/ QUOTE ]....NOW THATS AN IDEA !!!!!!!LIKE MONSTER GARAGE ,BUT WITH SOMETHING COOL!!! INSTED OF A 100MPH INDYCAR PAINT STRIPER

9. roadster36

roadster36
    from Sonoma

Congrats on keeping things in a straight line Ryan. In my opinion the stuff on TV showing the bike builders, monster garage, etc. shows poor taste and sends a bad message to people just getting started. There are enough knuckle-dragging sociopath wanna-be's in this world without imortalizing more. If PBS or TLC wanted to do a series similar to "This Old House" showing the various techniques and skills invloved in rodding then I would say "full speed ahead". A real life show, highlighting the real-life skills involved in what we do would be an asset. We don't need to see people acting like assholes, throwing tools, throwing temper tantrums, etc. There are a lot of talented, creative people on HAMB (TLC and old man Teutle could take a lesson.(I feel sorry for Paul Jr.He seems like a class act.) Treat people with respect and you will get the same. Just my .02 cents. [​IMG]

10. Goddamn it. My chance to make myself and my visor nationwide celeberities has been foiled yet again!

11. Zodoff

Zodoff

Nationwide??? Your already famous in scandinavia,kojack!

Attached Files:

12. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Good call, I'd say. Most business might say the exposure couldn't hurt, but then you wouldn't want this hangout to get TOO commercial or crowded... it could hurt more than it helps. Not that I want to keep this place as a secret, but then it might become different if being on the HAMB became chic, y'know? For TLC: good call. Really cool of you, too, to let us in on it, btw.

13. Missing Link

Missing Link

[ QUOTE ]
    Think of the young guys that maybe would get into our hobbie instead of building another fucking rice burner.

[/ QUOTE ] <--- that will never happen just by having a TV show showing a build up of a traditional rod. Do you see every flippin' yahoo with a mustang turning it into a lawnmower?

[ QUOTE ]
    Finaly a cool concept of a learning show !!!that includes the HAMB comes along and you guys fall in like sheep???

[/ QUOTE ] So let me get this straight, if the program isn't associated to the HAMB nothing can be learned from it? Brilliant...

[ QUOTE ]
    You all might as well have occ and wcc shirts you certainly act like the people that wear them!!!

[/ QUOTE ] C'mon now! You know that hypocrisy runs amok on this board and in most peoples lives don't you?

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess I missed out on the "making a fucking anti-social statement" part when I built my hot rod pickup.

[/ QUOTE ] So the HAMB drags, all the get togethers that people have that revolve around other members, the sharing of information; all that stuff is anti-social?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] <----that is the BEST suggestion I have heard yet!

To be honest, any members that contribute worthwhile information on a regular basis here (I do not include myself in that statement) should be damn proud of the fact that a TV show wanted to use this forum on a program to convey learning. I agree with Ryan and his decision and I really appreciate his willingness to not "sell-out" so to speak. I like it here and have learned a lot in a short time. Hmmmmm...

[ QUOTE ]
    Not that I want to keep this place as a secret

[/ QUOTE ] Neither do I. There are probably many builders out there that have never heard of this place or a computer for that matter [​IMG] I just believe that an influx of attempted hot rod/kustom types would probably not make it a very cool place to hang around at.

Me? I'm here all day. It gives me something to do at work. [​IMG]

14. Germ

Germ

[ QUOTE ]
    why should germ be the host? there wouldn't be a car in it! it would be all about smoking crack with famous people in the ghetto, while randomly screaming EVERY fourth word FOR no apparent reason. IT would completely suck AS FAR as i'm concerned...

oh yeah, and i don't know how you put comma's on TV,,,,, but there would be lots of them.

TV sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to be nice, or you will cry...

15. Germ

Germ

Oh and I am going to be on T.V again really soon,,,,,

Has nothing to do with HOT RODS though, and it wont be ON COPS..........

wait for the SHOW,

BYE

16. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Hey Bolillo....quit hanging around with "Dirty Donny"....
    I don't like being CHEATED on......I MAY let him sharpen my pencils, IF he shows proper respect to "the GOAT" first....
    The "HELL-CAMINO" will live this year..then maybe Esnacky6 will FeDex me all his pakalolo from S.C.
    Call......gotta job for ya.

17. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

I should most likely keep my mouth shut but here it goes anyway. I would really like to see a show that encludes people who are "real" building "real" rides. I would think it was the koolest if a member of the HAMB was the topic of such show. I don't think it needs to be advirtised as a HAMB project and I don't think that the HAMB should even be spoken of during the show. We would know and that would be enough. I think Ryan did the best thing for the HAMB as most of you have said. This is just my humble opinion I may be wrong and often I am.

18. This Really cracks me up!!! We dont even know the content or format that TLC has in mind?? But like sheep we asume its gonna be just like the ones on discovery!!! The HAMB CHOP every week with Ryan`s car and logo on shirts in every Walmart nation wide?? And That due to all the fame the HAMB will colapse due to finacial crisis!!!Heavan forbid that it airs after tuners weekly and more tradional cars show up at events with guys wearing Von Dutch shirts !!! Then the post count will go thru the roof !!!! And there will be a huge run on red krylon and we will have to suffer the ills of e-bay prices on the rare red krylon

19. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Ryan,

I think you made the right call. Thanks for not selling out. I try not to advertise for anybody (except small shops) but I'd be proud to wear a HAMB shirt the next time they come up.

20. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Ryan: Rat-on. can't you just see them lurking on here for about 10 to 15 seconds?. they probally can't hit the "delet" button fast enough.

21. I think this is a sad thing. I hope this is not the begining of the end.I've been logging on to this place for a lot of years and learned alot even though I don't post much. Ryan thanks for telling them to fuck off, I hope they just stay away. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]