Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage OT: Oshkosh Airshow Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OshkoshRob, Aug 2, 2008.

1. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oshkosh Airventure 08. A little off topic but you can't be a car guy without liking this kind of stuff.

2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I love the pics, thanks.

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

thanks for posting. gotta love flying hotrods!

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

You lucky bastard, I'd love to go to that show! You have more pics I hope!

5. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Thanks, just a different kind of hot-rod..

CC

6. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing

7. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some more.....

8. bad ass stuff man "OLD CROW" was on a resent edition of dogfights on the history channel , very cool stuff..

9. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

I believe the "Old Crow" I'm standing next to is actually owned by Jack Rousch.

10. flatjack

flatjack

Living a 1/2 block from the airport, I kind of take the show for granted. But today I was out working in the yard when the F-22 was performing. What an awesome machine! Also cool to see it flying with the P-38 and P-51. When he makes those high speed passes North - South he is flying right over the middle of our street. Pisses my wife off, because it always rattles some picture off the wall.

11. Black Primer

Black Primer

You gotta love those hot rods with the machine guns on em'.

12. belair

belair

I bet the guy in the f-22 wishes he was in one of the other two!

13. Must be a rush to watch and hear some of these vintage planes up close....thanks for the pics.....

14. Bobby G

Bobby G
    from Detroit

Get some pix of the Mustang AV8R. I designed it and am curious to see what it looked like at the show, though I am sure I will get some images when my chief designer gets back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Great pics!! Gotta love the warbirds.:D

16. Scott K

Scott K

Thanks for the picts. I haven't been for a couple of years and really miss going to Airventure.

...not anymore. Jack used to own that one, but sold it a year or two ago. Jack has another D model Mustang (that's what you were standing next to) named Gentlemen Jim. And this past spring, he had the build finished on his "new" Old Crow (it's a brand new plane, very few original parts), a C model.

Attached Files:

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for posting the pictures. Nothing like a bunch off vintage aircraft to get my attention.

Frank

18. cptcorn

cptcorn

Awwww Man! I Used to get to go each year... I made all the signage for the Schwiess BiFold Doors display out there ;)

Oshkosh is an awesome place and a must see for anyone into aviation

19. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

Well no. Sorta like you driving a new 2008 Maserati GranTurismo Coupe with electric windows and air conditioning, and pulling up beside a 40 Ford with a flathead. Plus he was probably born in 1978 and was conceived after his parents went home from the Disco...

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need more, much much more! Wingnutz how you doing there??

21. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Cool pics! Sure wish we had stuff like that up here.

22. Bobby G

Bobby G
    from Detroit

23. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

24. GREAT PICTURES!!!!! Thanks for posting them.Never having been to Oshkosh,I always look forward to seeing pictures from the show.It's on my "to do" list before I go to the great airfield in the sky.

I have some pictures in my photo file that were sent to me by a friend who attended a couple years ago.He and a friend flew from California to Oshkosh in a Cessna 172(I believe) and back.Took nine days.During the flight his friend(who is also a photographer)took some unbelievable pictures of the journey.I wish I could post them but the files are enormous.My favorite has to be the view of Mount Rushmore from about a thousand feet.

Also for those in the Michigan area,next weekend is the Wings of Thunder show at Belleville Michigan.

25. Was the P-38 the Glacier Gal...one of the ones they brought up through the ice about 10 years ago?

26. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

One and the same!! It was amazing to see the plane in person after hearing the story.

27. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Always wanted to go to that show. The closest was when the CAF had the 50th anniversary show of Pearl Harbor attack in Midland. It was great. FIFI was flying then and you've never heard anything like a B-29 with all four engines cranking on the tarmac ready to take off.

28. belair

belair

I think any fighter pilot would give up one his (in his mind) overszed nuts to fly a WWII fighter. At least one with an appreciation for the history of air-to-air combat. Gotta be a lot of folks dream. But then, some people might prefer some lame-ass Italian car with girly-girl options to the perfectly styled lines and classic sound of a flathead 40. My dad was in Greenland in the mid 50s. Said you could still see some of those P-38s thru the ice.

29. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Thanks for the pics Rob! I was there M-F, 7am until after the "Fly-in" movie ended each night, and I loved every second of it. I've never seen so many P-51's in one place. "Happy Jack's Go Buggy" was my favorite of them all...

Met Bob Cardin and thanked him for his part in bringing "Glacier Girl" back to life. That dude's a fucking stud, and that plane is a piece of living art now.

The seminars were cool too. Saw Dick Rutan talk about flying F-100 Super Sabres at tree level in 'Nam, immediately followed by Burt Rutan updating his progress with SpaceShip 2 and his endeavors to get me (okay, and some other people) into space "affordably." I saw Richard Graham speak about his experiences flying the SR-71 from '74 to '81. I'm just a little jealous of that guy.

Seeing the F-22 maneuvering like that, all the while at full burner was awesome. Not to mention the incredible formation performances done in a gusting 30 knot breeze, the Harrier, the F/A-18's, the constant drone of the B-17 and Tri-Motor rides, etc...

I even took advantage of all the workshops to get some torch welding and TIG practice in whenever I was in the area.

I tried to find Wingnutz but kept talking to the wrong yellow T-6 pilot I guess (there were only six or seven?)

Now I can't wait for next year. That was the show of the decade for me. Again, thanks for the photos... my camera took a life-ending dump before we even left Phoenix so your pics are a welcome sight.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008