Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT-fitting delkron cases in paugho rigid frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by METAL MELTDOWN, Jun 17, 2006.

1. I know that a bunch of you guys are into harleys as well. I've got a clearance issue with putting a delkron cased evo into a rigid paugho frame. According to paugho my numbers check out for this conversion in their stock rake, no stretch frame built to fit an evo. They told me that normally if they know delkron cases are to be used they pre-machine the rear engine mount to allow these cases to fit. I have been unsuccessful so far in gaining the req'd info to modify my frame to work. I am reluctant to do this until I get the info because it still appears to me that the backbone doesn't give me the required clearance to slide it in. Anyone else have this problem during a build. Posted this on "The Horse" but no luck, can any of my Hamb'r bro's come thru? thanks for any help

2. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I just put a Delkron case evo in a custom frame two days ago.. I have a mock-up stock evo case that I use for checking mounting holes and stuff.. I don't see any huge diff. between the two that would require machining the mount.. Delkrons are made as replacement cases... How many cubic inches is the motor? What kind of jugs and rocker covers do yo have?...EVILT

3. It's a Delkron case evo(84 evo top end), using stock bore barrels and heads, the heads have been milled 50 thous. When I try to slide the engine in the heads hit the top tube and the mounts are about 5/8 of an inch inch high from sitting down on the mounts. I have slid this engine in two aftermarket shovel frames where the top tube has been removed and it dropped in just fine. I'm at a bit of a loss and am disappointed that paugho has not really been very helpful. I asked for a template, blueprint, description or even a pic of the modified mount but to no avail. All I was told was that the front of the rear mount must be clearanced and it doesn't look like there is enough material by the bolt holes to remove steel and I don't think they are talking about the gusset. Looking for answers before I blindly start hacking.

4. kmbgt

kmbgt
    from Austin, TX

I'm know expert by any means. However, I know fitting my stock Ironhead motor into the Paughco frame required some finesse.

have you tried laying the frame over the motor and finessing it on.

I don't understand...why it would fit a stock frame and not a Paughco frame unless the motor mounts were off. Especially with a stock style set up same size motor etc... that it wouldn't fit. If it fits in a stock frame it should fit in a Paughco frame.

Do you have a standard Factory motor to test fit and see if maybe your motor mounts are just plain off?

5. No I don't have a stock motor to check the motor mounts but doing some measuring they appear to be off slightly but not enough to be this big a problem. The reason the motor fit in the other two frames was the fact that the backbone and seat post tube had been removed from both frames.

6. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI