Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT car related and I know the answers are here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leon renaud, Sep 1, 2007.

1. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I need to know how to wire up a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 engine and OD automatic transmission to operate in an older car.I have the complete 92 Crown Vic and it runs mint 40,000 1 owner miles.Can anyone tell me what I need to remove from the Vic to assemble my own wiring harness for this engine/trans?This is the first fuel injected power plant I have worked with.My budget doesn't allow for a custom ordered wiring harness.I also need info on installing a fuel injected 305 in place of the factory 4 cylinder in an S10 pick up I'm looking into S10 websites for that info.I'm sure one of you guys here on the HAMB can help me with the 4.6 swap
    Thank You
    Leon

2. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

3. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Leon- call me at the shop and if we cant get it figure out - my mechanic (who works at a local dealer) will know

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I don't know about the 4cyl to V8 swap in the S10, but I'm thinking pretty much everything wiring-wise would be the same - except that you might have to lengthen some of the wires. You'll also need to change over the computer, and pretty much everything else should continue to work.

Keyword here is "should"

I have an '89 Chevy full size truck that came factory with the 4.3 and 5spd in it. I swapped it out for a '95 350 out of a Tahoe, and changed over most of the sensors from the 4.3 to the 350, and everything worked pretty much correctly. I dumped the factory oil pressure sending unit and the temp sending unit in exchange for manual gauges and senders, but the only thing that I need to fix with that is that I'm getting 'phantom' signals through the original sending unit wires - so I need to chase them down and ground the wires so they'll stop that. I also get a "shift" light when I'm in 5th gear now, so that bulb needs to go away. I also changed the computer from the 4.3 to the one 'required' by the 350, but lost a ton of power and driveability so I went back to the 4.3 'puter. Even the distributor just plugged in and ran.

As for the Crown Vic wiring harness, there's someone on here who is selling inexpensive harnesses that you might be able to use. They are over in the classified section on here, so I'd suggest checking them out. The only other suggestion I have would be to strip the stock harness out of the Crown Vic and put it into the car you're dropping the motor and trans into. That way you'd use the original computer and harness the way it was meant to be used - at least halfway close to the way it was meant to be. Then eliminate circuits that you don't need or use, and adapt your gauges and the like as you need them and want them.

5. rodknocker

rodknocker

it would be easiest to remove the whole harness from the engine compartment and the dash harness,if you're gonna use gauges from the dash, and then the whole power circuit.In short, pull all of the harnesses and tape off the ones you don't use

6. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

BTTT one more time.

7. squirrel

squirrel

what rodknocker said. Get the complete engine/computer harness out of the car, you'll find that you can separate all the wiring that connects to the computer, most of it is connected to the sensors/injectors on the engine (and the trans if it's computer controlled) and there are only a few wires that need to be connected to the rest of the car. You'll want a factory shop manual for the specific year car. I did this years ago with an 87 ford truck engine, it was tedious but worked fine.