Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration OT buying a 50's Refrigerator to stick in the shop....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Oct 26, 2010.

1. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Real Nice one!!! Swell as a two-tone!!!

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wow. looks great. i love vintage fridges. i have several, most all of them were free or at the most $20

i have a badass GM that i paid $20 for that runs like a top and is in perfect shape. came out of the original owner's basement, had to defrost it before i moved it.

3. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Mine:

I just brought this one back from the dead.
    How it looked when Sergio gave it to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The donor -Yeah, I put a Wesinghouse in a Westinghouse!
    I ran to the local dump and got this for free, I used the
    compressor, condenser and thermostat controls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I swapped everything over and got it in primer.
    I paid a guy to solder up the lines and charge the system.
    I lucked out, everything worked first time around.

[​IMG]

Next, the real paint and shelving. Loaded it up with beer and soda,
    The next morning everything was frozen. Got it tuned in now
    and just need to stripe it. Cool shop fridge and close to free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. saints

saints

wow that is a great fridge.....

5. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

This is from our shop, unfortunately it doesn't work proprely. We got it for less than 10 bucks, painted.

Attached Files:

6. yruhot

yruhot

Heres a photo of our 1942 Fridgidare, Moved the newer one out onto the patio and hooked up a water line to the old on to make ice. Love the retro in the kitchen. Didn't notice any real issues with the power bills sincenew ( older) one installed has been installed yruhot

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      139.1 KB
      Views:
  7. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

this Coldpoint was getting tossed out at work so it came home to keep my soda pop cold.
    [​IMG]

8. saints

saints

here it is complete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BrokeBastards

BrokeBastards

we have a 57 gm frigidaire and my pops has been runnin it since the 70's, holds my beer and keeps it chilllllled, plus just invested in a 53 vendo coke machine, which vends beer and coke,(never know what your gonna get)!:cool:

10. I have two of them, an old Montgomery Wards, not sure what year, and an old Admiral. I only have a shot of the monkey wards one that I cropped out of another shot. It's not real fancy, but one of these days I'm going to paint it up.

[​IMG]

11. Tech question:
    I have a modern frig and the problem is the thermostat is located outside of the boxes, so when the room temp is below ~60*F it stops working because it thinks it's cold enough. The result is the freezer temp goes too high. Are vintage frigs wired the same, lame way?

12. Don't know why the stat would be on the outside, the temp controls should only care about whats going on inside the fridge.

13. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

14. olds fan

olds fan

Wow, a fridge in the garage. I have a small 3 car, but no room for a fridge. Even the cooler has to stay in the trunk of the coupe. My beer sits on the floor by the service door, learned to drink it warm. Guess if I had the room for a fridge id find some other tool or machine id rather have. Seems many of the old fridges are GEs, my mother has a 1949 in the basement still running. Time was we built some good products.

15. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saved one just like yours, It had a build date on the back 12/3/33 works great keeps beer cold and some times it will freeze beer if you don't drink it regular. I donated it to my son for his basement shop.

Attached Files:

16. ardyboy

ardyboy

I had a big old one(a three door) in my garage for years and over those years I covered it with some pretty cool bumper stickers until that was all you saw of it. I was working a little overtime one Sunday and one of the women contract drivers was telling me that her fridge died. She had five kids and had taken in three more when her sister died. She was a little out there but a really nice lady. I told her I would clean up my garage fridge and deliver it to her house if she would like it but I wasn't going to take the bumper stickers off--that would be her job. Well--my wife and I cleaned it up so it sparkled and my son helped me deliver it but she wasn't there when we dropped it off. The next day she came in to work and brought me over a coffee to thank me. I asked her if she got all of the stickers off of it. She said she would never take them off. She said it was so cool she wanted to put it in her bedroom.

17. mudpony21

mudpony21
    from Mayberry

hey guys I was checkin out your thread and I actuall purchased one of the general motors frigidaire units today like leaded has to put in my shop. but have no clue on how to identify it or find parts to fix some small stuff? any clues?

18. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

i did found some help at the net, and will check it out,post comes.......

19. mudpony21

mudpony21
    from Mayberry

awesome, i tried to look up some info but didnt come uop with much. dunno. maybe its just me.

20. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Just picked up a similar one today,itsa 1951 model,the door is a lil different i think.

21. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

22. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

My 1951 Frigidaire DM-90

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

sorry, couldn't resist.

24. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

:eek:My dad is a psychologist, he doesn't understand my car obsession and to him cars are just appliances. He equates me fawning over a 56 Ford parked along a street with walking into somebodies kitchen an saying "Wow, 64 Fridgidaire, metal ice tray and everything".

I hope he doesn't see this thread!!

25. LOL He's probably just pissed that he can't make any money from car guys. When was the last time you saw a hot rod parked in front of a psychologist's office? We do our therapy in the garage! :)

Jim

26. roughneck424

roughneck424

27. mudpony21

mudpony21
    from Mayberry

Well here is my beauty, needs a few things. parts are hard to find lol...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

If he's a shrink, he should be familiar with the concept of nostalgia..

Shawn

29. skoh73

skoh73

Art Geco,
    My Grandpa passed away this spring and had that same fridge in the basement. I've had my eye on that forever and let everyone know that I wanted it to fix up. She threw in the damn trash- UGH!!!