Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Anyone a cook? Panettone bread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pontiac Slim, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..
    OK... Here'z the scoop... Cold here in Maine, kids comming home for Holley-days, I'm do'n the cook'n for Xmas...Desert gonna be an Amaretto/Vanillia bread pud'n. Recipe call for Panettone bread ??? Anybody know what that is? Or another type bread close to...?
    (trash'n on the coupe after Holley-days)
    Thanks

Ponriac Slim (for now)

2. fastroadster

fastroadster

Its a traditional italian fruit cake. Do you have a Cost Plus store, Costco, in the area? they would have it. I think it would be a bitch to bake one, but if you want to try. I'll look in one of my mom's cookbook (she passed away 5 yrs ago) I'm staying here with my dad with the help of hospice. So if you want I'll do some research for you.

3. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..
    Well I guess you answered my question.. Thanks... I'n not that great of a cook so I'll try an locate one..
    Strange...
    Two reasons I'm do'n the cook'n... Wife has medical issues, but... my two kids comming home, kid #3 passed away and holidays ain't the same..I'm sure you know...
    All my kids are interested in is a nice meal.. something special..Guess I can do that much..
    I wish you the best.. take care of your Dad...
    Pontiac Slim
    if you get a chance go on web site for story
    www.badlandscoupe.com

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you are goin to cook bread pudding, dont forget the booze...more the merrier. where is brandy, she is all up on this stuff...oh brandy!

5. phat rat

phat rat

forget the bread just remember the Amoretto

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, you finally got that shed off of your car? Been to Rangeley lately? Pannetone kicks ass, my wife makes that stuff, so delicious....

7. Is your avatar the end result of Pannetone??:D :eek:

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

yeah yeah here's a quick one on how to make Pannetone Bread............

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup milk, scalded
    1 stick butter (8 Tbsps.)
    1 tsp. orange rind, grated
    1 tsp. lemon rind, grated
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. brandy extract
    1 tsp. salt
    3 eggs, slightly beaten
    3 cups bread flour
    6 Tbsps. sugar
    3/4 Tbsp. dry yeast
    Directions:
    Add ingredients to bread machine as given. In seperate bowl, mix 3 T. bread flour with 2 oz. slivered almonds, chopped fine, and 1/2 cup white raisins. Mix well so raisins get coated (seperate with fingers). Let bread bake 20 minutes and add raisin-nut mixture to bread. (Or add at proper time of your machine.)

9. ponchoman

ponchoman

Slim,
    Don't know the first thing about panettone bread, although I am one helluva cook. But did check out your website, and it is totally cool. Seems you are as big a Poncho freak as yours truly. Keep it up!!
    Don

10. Wow! Who needs Google when you have HAMB.

11. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Watch out guys. If you make this stuff, the Milan Baker's Guild might come after you if you don't make it right. They're in the process of getting their precious dessert bread patented, but not so others can't make it, just to regulate what ingredients go in it.

12. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Hah ahaha I never thought I'd see a post about Pannettone on the Hamb.

Make the chocolate chip one, NOT raisin.... raisins suck unless they sing, dance, and wear converse all stars

[​IMG]

13. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

where're the raisins??? :D

14. repoman

repoman

Try to find a local Italian "Pork store" as we call them. We have them all over NJ. I cook Italian food myself, but never bothered trying to make my own Pannetone.

As an alternative, in good groceries you can usually find Pizzelles (use vanilla). They would make a good base for your pudding, or you can't lose with lady fingers soaked halfway in Amaretto.

Prego, gotta get back to the Arancini's...:D

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mix up the raisin's (white and dark) to make it "pc" panettone...

looks good, though i am going to be rockin a couple gallons of glug (come on der norske boys...give us your recipies)

16. cooljerk

cooljerk

marshall's usually has them for sale cheap this time of year...

17. The GF bought one of them Pannettone bread things from the Wal-Mart, it looks and tastes like regular old raisin bread. If you find some raisin bread, you have a good substitute.

18. McKee

McKee

The Italians up here make Pantalone bread...
    made from old trousers I think...

IT's H.A.M.B....not HAM!

hahaha

Happy Christmas
    Dave

19. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey...

Thanks to youz all for replys... Will do inta details on a number of issues mentioned later on tonite...
    Chillie is done (24oz of beer with a dash of Ameratto)
    Bake beans( just started)
    Chicken ( get'n ready to prepare)
    Pud'n sauce (done)

Yep.. this site has all the answers ... beats the crap out of Google....

If I can get through it without a meltdown I'll tell yaz a Christmas story that happened to my family 20 years ago today....

Later
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

20. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..

The "stuff came out GREAT!! Took a bit from each reply.. Don't think I'd ever try and make from scratch (not that brave or that good of a cook) But thanks and I saved receipes

Mr El Caballo.
    Na, never get to Rangeley, think'n it was June of 65 last time. Was arrested on the return home, figured "there's you sign" Never been back.
    Have a new roof on the old shop, built a new one off the house. Will post pic soon.
    Got chemical poision'n in June, had a rough time.. Didn't get back to work till Nov.

Hey Mr Ponchoman.. Glad you liked site.. Haz ta update it real soon. Am glad to see there are a few Poncho folks around, Feel like an outcast in Maine

Mr Repoman.. Italian Food!!!! The best!!! Ant good receipes ya wants to d-
    vulge?

Haz ta go... Hope yaz all had a great Xmas!! and thanks again
    Pontiac Slim (but full)

Attached Files:

21. repoman

repoman

I'll send you the recipe for my Spedini. It makes women's clothes fall off!

22. Unless you want to know how to make the best Chilli you ever tasted i cant help you.

23. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..

All right-ie then...
    Never heard of "Spedni".. ( wife is Italian even).. But will'n to try it.
    I make an "old school sauce" that takes 2-3 days, make something else that I forget the name but its flower/rog. cheese, pretty good..
    Send receipe..

Chilli .. love it !!! make that too.. lots a beer in mine. Like to try others
    Send it

Thanks
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

24. REPOMAN- Just post it. Then we'll all have naked women, everywhere. :rolleyes:

JOE:cool:

25. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I can cook Italian.........from scratch..........but you'll have to get naked.:eek: :D

Slim I love your website.........I'll give you the holidays BEFORE I start tugging on your ear.;)
    xxx

26. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Hey taquila does that to and its easier to prepare!from the spelling can you tell I'm not a drinker?

27. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey...
    "Naked cook'n" !!! Done worst....
    Thanks for web site comments....

Pontiac Slim

28. repoman

repoman

Here's my spedini:

This is a twist on Spedini Alla Romana, which is only made with bread and Mozzarella. The traditional is like an italian shish-kabob, mine is lighter.

I prefer to use homemade breadcrumbs from a day-old loaf of rustic Italian bread. A trick is to combine canned breadcrumbs with the coarse homemade.

The anchovy paste is optional. My step-mother always liked it without.

Ingredients:
    2 wooden skewers
    1 cup breadcrumbs, coarse
    1/2 lb fresh mozzarella
    2 eggs
    1 stick unsalted butter
    4 tbsp light olive oil
    1 garlic clove, crushed but whole.
    2 tbsp anchovy paste
    1 tbsp capers
    1 whole lemon
    Black pepper to taste

Prepare mozz but slicing in 1/2 in whole slices, then cut the circles in half to leave a flat side.

Beat two eggs into an egg wash, add black pepper.

In a small saucepan, melt butter and olive oil with garlic and anchovy paste.

Dispose of garlic clove. add juice of 1/2 lemon to pan and remove from heat. Add capers to pan.

Preheat oven to 425.

coat mozz with egg wash and coat with bread crumbs, then back to eggs and another coat of breading. The bread coating should be thick.

Place cheese on skewer flat side down and repeat until all the cheese is coated and on skewers.

Place skewers in small baking pan (I use a cake pan) and pour butter/oil mixture over spiedini.

bake for 8-12 minutes. keep an eye on them as different cheese will melt faster. The goal is a crisp coating with well melted cheese, but mozz is delicate, and often will turn into a puddle in the pan if not careful!

I usually put my sliced mozz in the freezer to harden while I prepare the other parts.

After removing from oven, serve with a squeeze of lemon, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, fresh ground pepper optional.