Register now to get rid of these ads!

OSR Bought Out CK Deluxe??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Enbloc, Mar 18, 2005.

1. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Spike,it isnt my definition,it is the definition of alot of people here.hey i would love to see my efforts and hard work in any rag.but for some to say that all or some of the cars in OSR or Street rodder or what ever are crap is pretty silly."I" feel that any car that is pictured in any rag is good for the persons who built it.i personally read the stories behind the cars,not just look at pics of the cars,and besides who wants to see the same car that is at Viva then see the same car at Paso from the same rag and that has happened...just my thoughts...Thanks,Spike for filling me in.....i am now a better person for it...LOL

2. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Marketing ploys have no logic, only a bottomline.

I wanna start a magazine like Classic Bike Guide. Highlight some cars built now with consideration to an older way of doing things. Not old school, but consideration of the older in a newer light. And also highlight things of car culture heritage. Throw backs in design and heritage. Bah, ain't nobody interested in what I have to say anyhow..... :)

3. Spike!

Spike!

..Thanks,Spike for filling me in.....i am now a better person for it...LOL[/QUOTE]
    I do what I can ...LOL. Seriously, even from a marketing stand point, It just doesn't make sense for OSR to buy CKD. I guess only time will tell.

Spike

4. Will be interesting to find out the truth.......

When I heard about CKD/TRK a coupla months ago I thought it would make perfect sense to sell off the CKD name. Seems I may have not been the only one to think the CKD name mighta been worth a few bucks.

5. Spike!

Spike!

They can keep the name. Its a shame they have to buy a proven name in order to sell magazines. Time will tell and hopefully it will tell CKD readers what they are actually buying. A name. If you liked the original crew of CKD, then buy TRK. If you want OSR with a different name, buy "The New CKD". They should, in all fairness have "From the makers of OSR" boldy printed across the cover so people aren't fooled into thinking they're getting something they're not.

Spike

6. 55olds88

55olds88

Rod and Kulture is good, got them at the weekend (just), I too am surprised that OSR bought the remains of CKD and even more that they are going to keep it running and as a totally seperate entity....... what next Aaron as editor ??
    I must say the team at Rod and Kulture are so far the best of the "big" magazines I have delt with.

Should be interesting..........

7. Missing Link

Missing Link

OSR is too mainstream. Even Wal-Mart carries it. Fuck that. If I can easily get a copy of it then it's definately not any good. It's not "under ground" enough for me. Before you know it everyone will want to be a "rat-rodder."

Sometimes I slay myself. Or should I more concisely say...

Sometimes I "lead sled" myself... :confused:

8. Spike!

Spike!

I heard a rumor that all the OSR staff had "CK DELUXE" tatooed on thier fingers. They bought the font placement from Aaron himself so it would be authentic. First tech article will be "tapping and oil pan". Rock-A-Billy-Riffic Katz and Kittenz !

Spike

9. seldom scene

seldom scene

I enjoy the mags for pure entertainment. I look forward to finding treasure in my mailbox, something to read to relax and divert my attention from the problems of living in this world. I have learned not to take the mags too seriously, a mistake I made too frequently in the past, if they give build credit to the wrong person, or make mistakes. I get excited when I see pics of my car in the mags ( in the background ). All have their distinct style and flavor, some better than others, but keep 'em coming, all of them.

10. Believe me when I say some people unfortunately ALREADY think CKD is TRK, Spike (as in HRD>>CKD>>TRK).

The biggest dealer here is leading people to believe that......a month AFTER I told all my customers about the event (so at least my guys know TRK is a NEW deal). Hell, they were still telling people the next issue of CKD was "coming next week" two weeks after I'd said it wasn't happening at all. Blood suckers. I'm just lucky to have some cool customers that don't want to deal with them 'cos they know what they're really like.

I deal OSR. I've dealt CKD. I've got TRK coming (should be here today). Each fill a space for guys here. I'm glad I can bring them in, since they are different things to different people (although I am glad that, as 55olds88 stated, the TRK people have been pretty damn easy to deal with so far).

11. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

I agree. OSR has it's good and bad qualities, so did CKD. I'm just happy there are ANY magazines out there with cars I like. You can't make everybody happy all the time. They're just magazines, enjoy them for what they are, pictures and words about cars. If you spend all your time looking for the "perfect" magazine, you may miss something cool.

12. Spike!

Spike!

I hear what you're saying Peddro. My status at CKD was merely a contributor, so I heard all the same things from the same person. Drove me crazy. Now I have a bunch of materail that needs to be liberated from that person. Anyone in Bakersfield want to earn a few bucks?

Spike

13. Shoprag

Shoprag

OSR's wanted to buy CKD way before zombie and those guys left but someone wanted to hold onto it, then after everyone left him what else could he do but sell out. thats how the guy works without mentioning names, milk a business dry and then ditch it. what a wreck. I know of a few things that are gonna be in the next few issues, it sounds like a good treat.

14. Spike!

Spike!

Yeah...thats the way it happened... ha ha ha ha.....

Spike

15. pick it up and read the editorial. http://www.rodandkulture.com

16. cool, we need more Ratt RodZZZz and KUZZZZtom KUlCherrr MagZZ. Big cuffs, fatt betty page chics, stand up bass slapin' oversized pomp sportin' rockasilly YEAH!! Fugly cobbled together shit boxes with plexiglazzz window chop jobzz....skullz skullz and more skullz I just got stabbed by my own iron crossezzz....Jeez thatz not swell. juZZT like the Old DayZZZ!

17. werez my lucky strikes? Has anyone seen my switchblade comb? nevermind, it was under my 300 lb betty pudge in leopard print capri pantZzz. Iz it right to build a nice traditional hotrod with an old mill and all that then put frickin' borgesen joints on it? how about some radials too? how about some skull and devil decals? how about a tilt column out of a chevy caprice classic for my comfort? as long as it has a NOrm grabowski shift knob to tie it together. I know....i'll put a 60's carb scoop on a 40's v-8? that would be trick! I know what would get my Rat Rod in OSR.....if I have no floor! or even better yet, my frame horns have magnesium blockz on the bottom and it's so low that it makes sparkZZZ when i drive down the road, just gotta watch out for bumpz and potholes and curbs and such cuz if I hit it, my rat rod will come to a dead stop and my cab will fly off my frame cuz it's only held on by two popcorn tack weldzzz juzt like the real rat rodderz do it.

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

There would be no OSR if not for CKD. Ironic that they bought the rights. I bet I know exactly why they did it. They want to keep OSR as it is and with CKD, they will hope to create a more respectable mag within the industry, based on the title's heritage. Will it work? Not if they are not serious about keeping the two mags seperate in content, style and design. By doing this, they are going to make it hard for TRK because of their massive distribution network.

I am looking forward to picking up TRK at Viva this week.

19. TINGLER

TINGLER

Popcorn Tack Weldzzzzz...
    Ha hahaha...That rocks. :D

20. RotHod

RotHod
    from So Cal

I think OSR would be better off changing the name of their mag, use spell check, stop adding Z's to every other word. And PLEAZE stop with the ebonics for rat rodders in every article...it's cheezzzzzzy!

21. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

YES!,,,i think this is what it should be called along with a tag line under the title..

"OL SKOOL CRAP"

"..crap back then,..crap today.."

22. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

..or

"same crap,,different decade"

or

"bringing you the crap that they wouldnt show you back in the 50's"

or something like that.[​IMG]

23. RotHod

RotHod
    from So Cal

"OL SKULL KRAP"

24. Plowboy

Plowboy

I happen to think the spelling is awesome! Just like "back in the day" all the good bands had nifty spellings like the Wild Boyz, Tigertailz, Alcatrazz, Wolvz, Wikked Wayz, and Sleeze Beez. It would be better if they could have had a word in the title that used multiple XX's and double TT's as well.

"Ol Skool Hott Rodzz and Chixx".

If they would replace every "to", "too", or "two" with just the number 2 that would be awesome. Also take out every "for" and replace it with a "4" that would be killer.

"I am 2 cool 4 skool. My ratt rod iz 2 hot 4 u, it roxx!"

Now that is perfect text. Of course I learned to read off of all my 80's hair band records.

"The Rodder's Journal" ? come on, how lame!

26. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i guess this is too much of a compliment,,

..how about

"crap made to LOOK like it was from the 50's,but even back then it wasnt this bad!"

27. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

I was just at the OSR forum. and I'm sure it has been said a thousand times but what are they doing. Ther was a post on how to rat rod a 71 Dodge truck!

28. Scotch

Scotch

Its funny to me. Previous posts have said: "If you think you can do a better mag, do it yourself..."

...so that's kinda what I'm doing and it's actually going quite well. It's really not that hard to do a good quality enthusiast magazine with correct spelling, good writing, and photos that are actually in focus.

Granted, my mag isn't all about the old school "scene" and it never will be. But, I'm not suprised to see the scenester rags having to combine forces to survive. HAMB-style cars are a specialized niche of the market- an admittedly counter cultural response to mega-buck billet cars. This groove has managed to truly touch the souls of many and deserves its respect in the mags, however...

...it's not the kind of movement an entire magazine should be built around if that mag intends to survive long-term. This stuff isn't for everybody..which is why many of us can relate.

My mag will give HAMB-style cars their respect and just due, but I also intend for my mag to be around a couple decades from now.

...and the pictures will still be in focus then...

*OSR- THE "AUTOBUFF" OF THE NEW MILENNIUM*

Scotch!~

29. Mike

Mike

I think we've overlooked the most important issue. Will the mag contain ads for penis enhancement products? ;)

30. or flat black penis pumps with red striping an rubber skull squeeze pump?