Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original Prewar Willys - my everyday drivers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studeq, Mar 27, 2013.

1. alsancle

alsancle

That Willys ute is the unbelievably cool.

2. Those wheels on the 34 coupe must be 36s as they have the slots,33s had plain items. What a great thread !!! JW

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. Weasel

Weasel

The Willys ute is actually a 1937 TJ Richards body with a 1940 nose grafted to it - they were not built by TJR after 1937. The 1940 utes were three windows built by Holden using the Holden bodied coupe doghouse.

I used to drive my 1933 roadster around stock up until ten years ago....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

That is a really neat car!

5. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

Hope that '35 will remain original!!??

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Wasn't it the 39s that had the triangular headlamp lens in the fender nacelles? Saw a 4door out on a ranch in NW Texas many years ago and got the round gas tank from it for a future project that hasn't gotten here yet.

7. Now that you mention it, I remember that the new owner said it was a 37 Ute with the later front end. I forgot about that. It was not my car, and it was about 5 years ago now, so my memory was not so good until you mentioned that fact.

8. These are 39 Overland headlight lenses, 39 Willys are the same as 38s. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  9. Those '39 lenses and retainer ring are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the '39 headlight system. It was the most complicated of all the Willys head light systems...but also the most unique. They were only used in the latter part of the '39 production year.
    The early '39's were indeed just like the 37-38 models, but called the model 48 on their serial number plate. In addition the model 48's still had cable brakes, and the sleepy eyed '39 was the first Willys with the hydraulic brake system. Dashes, fenders, hoods and tail lights were some of the other changes in that production year. Incidently the glass still turns up at swap meets, but the stainless retainer ring is hard to find, as is the potmetal piece that holds it all together.
    g-willys

10. lht

lht

gotta love a willys

11. Weasel

Weasel

In addition to what g-willys posted, the 1939 Model 48 was basically a carried over 1938 Model 38 - still on the 100" wheelbase and was called the 48 because it had 48 hp - brilliant nomenclature! The real new for 1939 Willys was called the Overland and featured revised rear fenders which more enclosed wheel openings - this carried over into 1940 as well. The wheelbase was enlarged to 102" - the rear axle was moved back and centered in the new style fender, and the engine horsepower was upped to 61 hp. I can only echo what g-willys said about the Overland headlights and the rarity of them. I have a complete spare 1939 Overland front end from my gasser sedan with the complete headlights and the belt line tail lights which were unique to the 1939 sedans. As an aside, factory two door sedans were built in 1938 and 1939 only and were available as a Model 38, Model 48 and Overland....

12. re49

re49

"Will-ees" or "Will-is" ??

13. I guess it was pronounced Willis back in the day...I have heard a commercial from the 50's with that pronunciation. However today you will hear it pronounced Will-eze...that is the one I prefer...Sorry John North wherever you are !!!
    g-willys

14. I too have heard that and in the movie HOT ROD the old guy yhat had the coupe called the 41 a Willis. JW.

15. Here's my daily driven 37 back in 1980. JW
    [​IMG]

16. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

The Willys was so wildly popular when they were new they offered weapons in their accessory catalog to protect from possible theft. Obviously these guys meant business!! [​IMG]

17. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

Here is my friends 20 Willys Overland. It is his summertime daily driver.

[​IMG]

Pic by sillu

18. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

This is a stock 36 sedan I have owned for many years.It is titled as a 33????

Attached Files:

19. Nice, do you have a shot of the back? JW

20. I've had this 35 since 1981 and had regular use in the eighties , will get her back on the road in the near future , after the 37. JW
    [​IMG]

21. willyscoupe

willyscoupe

I don't see the screw holes for your window ? Does it crank out ( 33-35 ) ? Or are the 36 screws just painted so I can't them ?
    Nice car !

22. Willyscoupe,
    '36 sedans have a fixed front windshield...they do not open like the 33-35. They do have a chrome window molding on the outside that does screw to the body flange.
    g-willys

23. And also the belt line doesn't go around the back of the body,etc,etc. JW

24. willyscoupe

willyscoupe

Ya I know that , I own one of each . Maybe my last message wasn't clear ?

25. Willy great thread. My buddy has two 38 sedans. One being built as a gasser, and the other is rotting in his backyard car musem. He needs all 38 door hinges off a fordor for the gasser. I think hes going to buy repops, but Original always better.

26. Jeff, is that for Chris ? JW

27. Willycoupe,
    I took another look at your post and I was the one who wasn't clear. I didn't look at the correct picture (until now). It does look like he filled in the holes...sorry for the mistake.
    By the way, I am finding that on the build of my '36, it is really a small, small car.
    Trying to put the same stuff in it that I have in my '39...it's tight!
    g-willys

28. Chuck R

Chuck R

Would that make it a woody?:)

29. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

heres my stock 41 sedan, its getting a exhaust right now, but its a summer driver.

Attached Files: