Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original 40 Ford Coupe, Buff it or leave it alone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barnfind 56, Jul 20, 2010.

1. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Chris;
    All of the ideas to 'preserve' that car by using polish, or wax, are merely emotional excuses. If you prefer that option, go for it.

So, as so many have stated, it's a personal preference, not hinged on whether the car will survive the options, or not. Keeping the weathered paint, worn upholstery, and pitted chrome are not a death sentence, just an option.

Enter it in a demolition derby, or park it in knee deep mud during the off-season, abuse it how you will, it won't last long.

On the other hand, given reasonable handling and normal care it'll be around for as long as one that was given a brand new paint job.

Some cars, I believe this is one of them, have that original untouched appeal. (Even if it has been painted once or twice since it rolled off the assembly line) Some cars need a lot of body work and therefore new paint is an option.

2. dudley32

dudley32

I'm like everybody else...light buff..I love it...

or just give it to me...d32

3. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Beautiful. I've been driving around a car with the original paint for three years, just waxing it to keep it up. I'd say just maintain it as good as you can and drive the snot out of it.

4. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

That is a beautiful car.

My opinion, clean it up with a good cleaner wax (Meguiars dries clear) and pretend you're sixteen again.

5. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Leave it, buff it, leave it, buff it, YOU LUCKY MAN! GREAT FIND!!!!!:D

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Considering how nice the car is today, someone took very good care of it for many years before it went into storage. I think it deserves to be cleaned up to bring it back to what it looked like when it went into storage..

8. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Pardon me, but I'd leave the paint alone. It is just too cool the way it is. I'd do what it takes to get the car drivable, and dependable. Just keep it dry. The old Plymouth in the picture was partially repainted during WWII. It was parked in '56, protected, and uncovered in '05. It hasn't been wet in 50 years, it sort of shines at 20 feet, and it's driven everyday it's dry. I did collision repair and paint for 30+ years, but I like this Ford as is. Shoot me if I play too long.

9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Here is my old forty before and after. I drove it with the flat look for nine years and finally waxed it. Wish I had done it nine year sooner. good luck

Attached Files:

10. Obvious troll is obvious.

11. sawzall

sawzall

Awesome car I like all the accessorys i'd love to know
    more about the rearview mirror

12. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Treat it with CLR, then buff it out. That car is too nice to let continue to fade, imo. It needs some lovin.

13. I have to think doing something to the rust to preserve the car makes sense, even if you just use CLR and then a fine brush and some brown paint where the metal's exposed, so it still looks like rust, but isn't. Buffing and waxing is okay too - again it's to preserve the car, normal maintenance.

Otherwise, yeah, to me that's a car it doesn't hurt to leave alone. It reminds me of the one I see at one local show that according to the history was in Hawaii at Pearl Harbor, escaped being shot up by the Japanese to survive as a summer car for a military officer before being parked in a garage for years - it's totally original also. Yours may not have the nice story with it, but hell, they're only original once.

14. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

You are correct, that is where the car came from. Curious about how you know that.Well I tested a area with some cleaner wax and it really made it shine, I was shocked! After looking at it today it looks as if the body was painted but not the fenders, the body is more blue than it is green. Not sure why this would have been done and I bet they didn't care that it wasn't a perfect match, it had to have been done in the 50's since the car was parked in '63. I really wish that would never had been done but there is nothing I can do about it, I wish it didn't bother me but it does. I know I am being pretty critical about a 70 year old car! It gets its first bath in a long time tomorrow.

15. You did just what I would have done - having your hot rod looking old, but not neglected... :)

Now, we need an update photo!

-Dave

p.s. Awsome find (as if you didn't know :D).

16. cooltoys1

cooltoys1
    from Buffalo NY

oh goodness...more pics please. Tell us more on how you scored this gem.

17. cjmac

cjmac

I vote rub it. Been a longtime lover of original paint cars and like em flat, but this one has so much paint remaining you'll be glad you did. I rubbed my original paint 59 f100 and people can't believe it is original until they get up close and see some of the nicks and dings. Hard to beat an old relic that no one has messed with. Keep us posted. Neat car. CJ

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  18. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The 59 on the license plate denotes a Sarpy County car and IIRC Papillion is the county seat.

19. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

well, if you came the hambers for votes and you will side with the most votes, allow me to weigh in without much yappin' and say.....buff it. and furthermore, you got yourself quite the gem there friend!

20. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Ok cool, you learn something everyday. Especially on the HAMB! Thanks.

21. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

okiedokie has got it right

22. i agree also agree with okiedokie, i like the used but preserved look.
    Al.

23. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Mate, in the end of the day it's up to you, BUT, if you want my opinion, Buff it!!

Firstly, if we're in favor of what was being done back in the day with a '40 Coupe, it would be to buff it....... I'd say that they used to as well! I personally could not have my classic/Hot Rod/Muscle Car not clean!

I would feel strongly about my car and keep it clean 24/7!!

I'd treat it like a baby!

And hopefully the only I'll have to treat like baby for a few more years! Lmao!

HC.

24. Leave it alone. Put a dropped axle in it and drive it!!!

25. What a sweet find! I agree with Hans, clean the paint & some good wax, it's still going to look old, and yes it needs a dropped axle and new chrome on the original bumpers. HAVE FUN.

26. awesome old car, leave it

27. man what a score! I havn't trolled right through the thread so if my suggestion has already been posted I'll apologise now. I would give it a really light rub all over with a fine scotchpad and then clearcoat it. You could add a flattenng agent to the clear if you don't want it to look too shiny - but either way the clear will seal the paint and preserve it for a lot longer .

just my 2 bits worth...

28. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Clean... buff.... wax.

29. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

It is VERY cool as is!

If it were me, I would buff it and put lots of wax on it.
    It's wetter than hell around here though and I would want to protect it from the moisture. I have no idea of what you need to make sure it holds it's own where you are.

Either way, can't go wrong.
    One of the coolest cars of all time and an original like that is way cooler than a restored or rodded car to me.

30. bt34

bt34

My 34 (avatar) was painted in the 50's and gets waxed once a year(since 2002)
    mainly to preserve it from moisture. I recommend the wax treatment.My opinion only.
    The coupe sure n hell looks neat though.