Register now to get rid of these ads!

original 34 ford grille

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, Jan 4, 2011.

1. 48flyer

48flyer

I found a nice original 34 passenger grille but it has been painted. all the bars are straight and it does not appear to be bent or rusted thru anywhere.
    I know this is a loaded question, but, what is one like this worth?
    I think the seller is asking too much money, but maybe Im not being realistic. I just wanted some real life estimate.
    Thanks guys

2. $800-$1000

what is he asking? pictures?

3. how much is he asking?

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

All day long,.... if it's the real deal. I seen a painted one last summer that was a old Argentine reproduction from the 60's being passed off as a Ford unit.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When a new Drake reproduction is what? $2500.......... Should give you an idea. The Drake repo IS really nice........it took him a few years to get it right as he's slightly anal about his reproduction parts being as good as origional.

Frank

6. 48flyer

48flyer

He's asking over $1000. I have not seen it in person. The fact that its painted has me worried a bit.

Attached Files:

7. That's a grand any day of the week, missing the trim, but still a grand easy.

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Look for cracks around the crank hole

9. 48flyer

48flyer

True, you dont see them lying in the corner of every garage!

10. Seen guys happy to pay $3,000 for a nice one!

11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Might want to consider what it'll cost to rechrome it.
    I did and bought the Drake.

12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Expect to pay a lot more than a grand for a good one.

13. 48flyer

48flyer

the rechrome is an issue ive been thinking about. probably another grand for that. But I'd have an original grille. I talked to him again last night and he assured me there are NO cracks or rust in it. I'm going to look at it tonight

14. alchemy

alchemy

The rechrome is a BIG, HUGE i$$ue. Have you priced it? Give a friendly chromer a call or show him the pics before you purchase. That is why Drake's grilles are so popular.

Plus, is there a bend in the outer band about 5 o'clock, near where the trim strip goes? You think a regular rechrome is expensive, try having the chromer do some straightening on sheetmetal first. Wow.

15. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yep, got a quote of $2000 to start and go up from there depending on the condition of the grill. And that was a couple of years ago.

16. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

The fact that it is painted is what will concern the plater. Almost every pieces I have rechromed that was painted was hiding filler and/or crappy welds. Of course these are almost always parts that were originally plated. It can almost always be fixed, but adds cost. Inspect the backside for any questionable areas first. The little dent on the one pictured in the 5 0'clock area looks like a 30 min. fix at worst, unless there is something I am missing.

I say $1,500 ballpark if it isn't hiding anything horrible, which is our typical quality that the vast majority consider show chrome; unless you were going for high end show competition with it; then it's more like $2,500+

The paint needs to come off before the true condition is known.

17. 48flyer

48flyer

I passed on the grille. It had been cracked and welded down on the bottom and the crank hole had been repaired. There was pitting on the front and rear of the shell and the bars were corroded pretty bad on the sides. It was a decent wall hanger, but not worth what he was asking.

18. bill3337

bill3337

There's one on Ford Barn right now asking $665 that looks to be in roughly the same condition, but $1000 for that one even in the condition you described wasn't out of line. I sold a '34 grille like that over 10 years ago for $850.00 and paid a $1000 for a '33 in worse shape than that.

19. BCR

BCR

I had a 33 rechromed last year. It was the most perfect original 33 I had seen in awhile. The chrome was pitted but there was no rust, no cracks, no bends. $1200 plus shipping both ways.

There was a guy selling some drake 34's on the HAMB from California around November. One of my customers bought one and I think he only gave 1750 for it new in the box.