Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oregon DMV - a 1932 vs a 2018?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce666, Feb 6, 2018.

  1. It does matter which DMV office you go to. I suggest the office in Lake Oswego. Used to live around the corner from the office. Nice ladies working there, but they don't give a crap about old cars. Just have all your paperwork filled out correctly ahead of time, and be polite, and they will sign off on it. I took my fiberglass t-bucket in to transfer the title from out of state. Car has an assigned VIN number from Arizona. Office ladies walked out, looked at the car, looked at the VIN tag, everything matched and paperwork was filled out right, walked out with a title to a 1920 Ford Model T.
  2. 41rodderz
    Joined: Sep 27, 2010
    Posts: 3,092

    from Oregon

  3. 41rodderz
    Joined: Sep 27, 2010
    Posts: 3,092

    from Oregon

    On a side rant , lol, is when someone wants to sell a project for a good chunk of change and does not have a title. Makes me lose interest quick in case there was DMV title hassels.
  4. donkeyfarm
    Joined: Mar 30, 2010
    Posts: 134


    When I register my Model A, I used private, Certified/Licensed DMV Vin Verifier. I had very little paper work for it. It was a quick trip to her office, where she had all the forms I needed to fill out highlighted, checked the vin, and took some pictures. She charged me a $120 for her service and a check for the CA DMV. The next day I had my title and plates. It is titled as a 1930. There has to be someone up there that does something similar. Maybe try talking to a local wrecking yard they may have someone they use or know.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. DDDenny
    Joined: Feb 6, 2015
    Posts: 12,057

    from oregon

    Mt. Park?
    I don't remember why but that location did seem to be the one people called "easy".
  6. Yep, that's the one. Never a hassle as long as you did your homework, and didn't make them look something up. :)
  7. 4wd1936
    Joined: Mar 16, 2009
    Posts: 778

    from NY

    About the registration in VT. You do not have to take your car there. The VT DMV has two forms you can download, one is the registration form and the other is a vin verification form. If you have a bill of sale with a vin number and have that number somewhere on your car a local "cooperative" can verify the vin number on the car and fill out the form with his/her police ID and badge number. You will get a VT transferable registration and VT plates. Nice folks in VT, even at the DMV if you play by their rules.
  8. deuce666
    Joined: Jan 10, 2008
    Posts: 148

    from Oregon

    All --
    thanks again for your help. Based on various suggestions, I just went to a different DMV field office. They processed the car as a '32 with no issue. And after 60+ days, I just got the tags (but waiting on the final title and registration).
    deuce triple 6
  9. Torana68
    Joined: Jan 28, 2008
    Posts: 1,079

    from Australia

    This needs everyone’s consideration I know everyone likes to do their own thing but you won’t beat down a government decision on your own .
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. redo32
    Joined: Jul 16, 2008
    Posts: 1,473


    Always great to hear about a happy ending when dealing with DMV
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Rramjet1
    Joined: Mar 13, 2018
    Posts: 54


    When I brought my 32 sedan project to WA. In 1993 there was a tough inspection system in place. When I bought the car in CA. It had a Vin made from the 350 Engine number otherwise titled as a 32. Found one of the original Vins on the frame while working on it. Was able to get Sheriff to verify it. Took paper work to local DMV office and they said only CHP could verify. Took the paperwork to a different office and no problem. Got to WA. And headache started all over. By the time I was ready to title it a new DMV classification for Street Rods was in place thanks to SEMA.

    Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
  12. Rramjet1
    Joined: Mar 13, 2018
    Posts: 54


    Wasn’t always that way in WA. In 93 when I moved here from SoCal with my 32 2dr Sedan they were a guaranteed title state. If they titled an out of state car that turned out to be stolen it was on the state so the State Police inspected all out of state transfers.

    My 32 was under reconstruction and I had a CA 32 title with the vin I found on the rear frame kick up. It had been titled in CA as a 32 but with the 350 engine serial number for a vin. When I found the original vin I was able to get the Sheriff to verify it and I retitled it with that vin.

    I took the chassis to WA. State Police inspection to verify vin to title. They stamped the front drivers side of the frame in front of firewall to show they had inspected it and said bring it back when done and it will be titled as an assembled vehicle with current year of manufacture. Would have needed lots of modern vehicle stuff.

    Our boys from SEMA got a bill passed establishing a Street Rod DMV classification that saved the day. It was still a hassle getting it titled because inspection station guys were not familiar with that classification.

    I’m guessing the state is no longer a guaranteed title state because I don’t think the inspections are required any longer.

    Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
  13. Mr48chev
    Joined: Dec 28, 2007
    Posts: 25,421


    It's amazing that even after Deuce666 posted that he got eveything squared away to the way he wanted it people are still posting what went on in other states or 30 years ago.
    It's about doing your homework for the STATE you live in. What happens in other states doesn't count unless you bought the car in that state and took it to your home state.
    Usually either the higher up the food chain you go with any state's DMV the less overall hassles you have. Or going to a specific DMV office where the people working there are professional and don't have an attitude as long as your ducks are all in a very nice organized row.
    Study the damned laws for titling a vehicle in your state from the day you start thinking about building a car. Know what you need as far as documentation and make sure you have that documentation. Don't throw out that crap about not keeping receipts because you can't have your wife find out. If you are afraid your wife will find out what you spent, you can't afford to build a car anyhow. Not saying how much money you have stashed back to buy something doesn't count though. There is a big difference in paying all the bills and keeping the family fed and clothed before stashing away cash for car parts and not having the significant other know you have a stash fund then having everything paid and having the wife decide that the money you have saved to rebuild the engine would buy a new leather couch.
  14. Beanscoot
    Joined: May 14, 2008
    Posts: 1,020


    "Based on various suggestions, I just went to a different DMV field office. They processed the car as a '32 with no issue."

    Just for clarification, was it registered as a plain old 1932, or a reconstructed 1932?

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.