Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Optima Battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmdeaton, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

They do look weird, for what it's worth, not much.

2. robracer1

robracer1

X4 for Odyssey, I truly believe Optima batteries will go the way that the junk Mexican made Stewart Warner gauges have become and yes I've had a Optima battery in a Vette that lasted 11 years but you will see those days are over as time goes on. This is my opinion, so please the die hard Optima fans don't freak out

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, those batteries may be fine if the battery is hidden out of view, but if it's right there in the open, in a traditional car, they look like ass. Moriarity, I don't know if these are worse than 21" wheels and rubber band tires though, that's a close call.... :D

Moriarity likes this.
  4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are battery covers that mask the looks of AGM batteries and retain the traditional look. Mounting the battery in the trunk or out of site is another solution.

Blues4U likes this.
  5. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

When I quickly read that I thought it said you had the battery for 40 years with no problems. Now that would be impressive :)

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the risk of repeating myself, there was a thread about this on here several years ago. In it, a VP from Johnson Controls joined the discussion and explained a lot of things. Some of the guys got on him unmercifully, but he played it straight and explained the problems with moving a manufacturing from anywhere to somewhere else, and assured us that their goal was to provide a quality product. I thought he was a stand up guy and took him at his word. After my first Optima died about 5 years ago (it had gone well over 10 years), I purchased another and it has held up fine. The second one was purchased well after the operation had been moved, so at least to me, any problems they may have had quality-wise have been taken care of.

There is an old saying that is appropriate here : "When I am right, no one remembers, when I am wrong, no one forgets". I for one, am glad Optima is around.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    egads likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No one said you had to look at the ugly ass thing. :cool: 900+ cold cranking amps, no venting, 1/3rd the weight, 1/2 the size.
    upload_2018-7-5_11-2-3.png
    This sits in my trunk
    upload_2018-7-5_11-2-39.png
    There is enough room in there to store the battery tender as well. I know it is hard to believe but they have some pretty good advancements in battery technology in the last 100 years.

milwscruffy and robracer1 like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Of all the cool touches on the Bandits car that little suitcase battery enclosure is one of my favorites, I had one just like it years ago that was my mothers but I took it to Goodwill:confused:.

Bandit Billy likes this.