Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects opinion pole, 57 chevy nomad build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrome_fins, Jun 10, 2009.

?

should i...

Poll closed Jul 10, 2009.
  1. build it stock

4.5%
  2. build it the way i want it

86.4%
  3. sell it and build another thats not so rare

4.5%
  4. ?

4.5%
  1. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

i know im going to hear a lot of "its your car, do what you want" thats not what im looking for here, all i want is opinions, as i have a delimma, and i would lke to see what you guys would do in this situation....

i have a 57 nomad, its originally a dusk pearl/white top with black and silver interior, power pack car with dealer installed luggage rack. the car is now surf green with white top, the rear axle has been flipped below the springs and the front end has flipped chrysler spindles for a gasser stance. this is how i found the car...my delimma is this, i LOVE the surf green, my fav color, but being such a rare original combo, i feel a responsibility to build it stock....if i build it surf green and keep the high stance, i (realistically) wont ever change it back to stock, and there's a rare original car lost....
    so, opinions...do i

1. build it stock
    2. build it how i want it
    3. or sell this one to someone who wants to build one stock, original, and get another to do my way...what do you guys think?

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Surf green, high stance, when you die, the person who buys it at the estate auction can change it back to original

Are you in the Tulsa area? I remember a stock dusk pearl and white '57 Nomad about 35 years ago...I have some pictures of it around here someplace.

3. el conejo 1964

el conejo 1964

either 1, 2, or 3.

4. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

You are thinking too much again! Do it up like you want, it would just be another restored trailer queen all original.

5. skullhat

skullhat

i would build it the way i want it.

skull

6. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Build it the way you want it. Just please not another street rodded version I hope (18s and 20s, LXX take out or crate efi, 4L60E, blah blah blah) the world is full of them.

Marty McFly

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You're not doing anything that can't be reversed later, right? It's just paint. Do what you like.

8. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

no!! no big rims, if i do it my way, ill keep the high-in-the-sky stance, its got american racing 5-slot mags on it from back in the day. if i change wheels, i may go steelies, or something...i am from tulsa, but the car is not, i found the car stored ina semi truck trailor in owossow, ok 11 years ago. it was from texas til the 80s, i have the tx title, it had been drag raced at one time, sponsored by a salvage yard...no mods except the 4 spd hole in the floor, and the stance. since the drivetrain is gone, ill prolly go w/a 350/auto, i wannt be able to drive it

9. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Sounds like yiou just want to keep like it is pretty much, nothing wrong with that. As long as your not cutting it up do what ever you want. It can be made into a stocker if all the pieces are easlily replaced.

10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

In for a penny, in for a pound. Unless you are going to do it numbers matching bone stock, date coded glass, original wheels tires and caps, right down to the stovebolt six and Powerglide it originally had, do it your way. ANY modification makes it not original.

I am wondering, I though this was a Hot Rod forum, not a restorers forum. Cut it up any way you like, then it's one of one.

11. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

thats true, and even if i built it stock appearance, id still want a 350 or something i could drive. so itd just be a stock appearance. i do have all the pieces, everything but the glass....and the original 283 and PG trans

12. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I could never figure out why such a beautiful car as a Nomad would be turned into a gasser style.
    I'd convert it back to something more closely resembling stock but maybe with some classic wheels and bigger tires. But as the poll indicates, it's your car and you can do anything you want. That's the beauty of you owning it and not someone else.

13. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

well, when i say gasser, i mean mainly the stance, the body wont be modified, itll have all the trim, bumpers, etc...

14. If you're not cutting it up or making a Rust Rod do what ever you want, it can always be changed back by the next guy.

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The trim tag may say dusk pearl, but it isn't dusk pearl, so who cares? You're not talking about raping some pristine stocker, right? It's an old hot rodded Nomad. There are hardly any real hot rod Nomads left in the world. Be bold and stand tall. Think of all the fun you'll have with the purists! :D

Let's see pics!!!!!!!

16. since the original engine is gone its pretty much fair game but giving the rarity of the original package if you dont do anything that cant be undone its still fair game

if you do decide to do something that cant be easily reversed (and if you have the room) just buy a replacement for what ever it is your going to alter (did that make since?) and store the replacement parts if you ever decide to sell or return it to the way it was

allthough i think a gasser style nomad with the original color combo would be wild

got any pics of it how it is?

17. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

ive really enjoyed this thread guys, thanks, it has really solidified my decision, i love it here on the hamb, lol.....

18. Go nuts its just a chevy. Haha. It sounds as though everything that will be done / has been done is reversible. Go Nuts

19. I'd go with the not cutting it up but do what ever makes you the happiest. I'd lower it and at least keep it close to stock looking. The gasser thing is kind of a personal choice. I works on some cars.
    The color sounds bitchin' to me. I'm thinking about a similar color combo on my Merc.
    Just have fun with it.

20. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I say cut the thing up. This is what I did to my nomad when everybody kept saying leave it stock. So,I built it stock to suit me! LOL Tim

Attached Files:

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I bet that had the purists in a tizzy! :D

22. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

hahahaha a 150 nomad! gotta love it!

23. You'll have a lot more fun with the car if you like it.

There's always purists that say you ruined it but it's not ruined if you like it.

I'd much rather see someone's personalized/modified car than an over restored trailer queen.

In the late 70's through the mid 90's I had a nice, mostly stock HiPo 62 Corvette with some modern upgrades I added for drag racing. (I saved the original parts and reinstalled them before selling the car)

I'd always get the restorer guys telling me to stop abusing/ruining the car........

I'd say....
    "it's a Corvette, how's it supposed to be treated?"
    or
    "Buy it, then you can do with it what you like"

24. Is that done up like a 150/base model?! :eek:
    Must drive the restorers crazy!:D

The OP should leave the car like it is. You didn´t change it, so you don´t have to feel "bad" about "messing up" a rare car. Enjoy it like it is. What use is a 100point resto, if you´re scared to drive it?

25. henry29

henry29

I say build it how you want it, and enjoy it.

26. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Whatever you do...GO 283/301/327 MUNCIE that's my vote

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

A 150 Nomad??? Never would have thought of doing that but I guess thats what makes the world turn;)

28. budhaboy

budhaboy

this thread is useless without pics!

That said, I think the pseudo-gasser set up sounds pretty slick, and you should keep with it(post pics anyway dagnabbit!)

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

it's just a chevy, build it the way you want!!

30. chrome_fins

chrome_fins
    from Tulsa, Ok

will post pics over the weekend, its not pretty...not right now anyway... bwt, i love the 150 nomad, that is just too cool, would have never thought of that...