Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods opinion on air compressor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Hey guys, before I go too far, I know that a motor and separate compressor is a better setup.. I just can't seem to ever afford a decent one.
    I came across this earlier and I can pick it up for about 100 or maybe 75 dollars. I read that they were fairly durable and most guys have been using them for years with no issues.. Im just wanting to air up tires, use the occasional air tool... may be light paint work. This one seems to be spec'd well enough. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. That's fine for pumping up tires,air tools use a lot of air and with a 25 gallon tank your going to have to wait a lot and let the compressor run to get the pressure where it needs to be,,but if your patient it will work. HRP

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny has pretty much summed it up.
    But I will add that after using other people's compressors of this sort, for my first compressor I pieced together stuff I bought here and there, an 80 gallon tank one place, a pump from another (it was off an old commercial refrigeration unit), a motor I borrowed from the landlord of the shop I rented at the time, and a pop off valve instead of a pressure switch, so it was a constant rum. IIRC, the pop off valve was for a hot water heater, LOL.
    I doubt I had much over $100 in it and I built and painted at least 3 dirt oval cars with it before I added another big portable antique gasoline engine powered compressor to the system I could fire up when I needed more air volume.
    My system in use now includes the tanks from both those units, the compressor from the gas engined rig, rebuilt with new rings, bearings and valves and powered by a 3 ph. 7.5hp elec. motor and a pressure swich finally. included, LOL. I've been using this setup since early 90s. Have bought a new Eaton compressor pump to install, but haven't done so yet cause it's hard to stop other stuff to work on something that still works!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. stimpy

stimpy

for small usage they are ok , do not get it hot ! as they do not like long periods of running, when the pump dies and it will as its non lubed ( teflon lined parts ) save the tank as you can use it for a portable air supply or auxillary tank . they do sell simular ones that are oil bath for the same price , you have to look for them ( menards had them for $119 not to long ago http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...ith-13-pc-accessory-kit/p-1442768-c-12910.htm )

yes the tank is small , but the oil bath will make it last longer . my brother uses his to charge his 20 gallon tank from his burnt up direct drive one .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

also don't be fooled by the "4 horsepower." it seems they rate them just however they want. I found that out when I got a giant Quincy pump to put on my "5 horsepower" craftsman compressor. the 5 horse motor popped its breaker before the compressor even got up to pressure, I went to a compressor place and bought an actual 3 HP Baldor motor and it has been working fine ever since.

6. Another thought,these small capacity tanks are known for the amount of moisture they create,,reach down and open up the petcock at least once a month and drain it,,more often with hard usage. HRP

7. stimpy

stimpy

more like every time you use it ! up here in the midwest ( No Ill by the lake) my 5/30 sandborn I drain everytime I use it and it spits water like mad , still looking for the water hose connection .

8. some air tools use more CFM of air than others...DA's and inline air files use a LOT of air , an impact doesn't need as much . i have a bigger compressor for when i'm seriously using some air tools , and a cheap used $20 one for airing tires , etc. i used it with my impact a few days ago and it worked fine

if you can be bought for $75 i'd get it...you can always sell it to someone else when you get a bigger one and probably not lose any money

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I have one of those, Craftsman with the (alleged) 5 hp.
    Annoyingly loud.

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Just to add:

Oil-less=LOUD.

A friend bought a good sized (maybe 60 ga)oil-less one to run his CNC plasma machine. Sumbich was unbearable. He sold it, right quick.

11. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

image.jpg Looks like my father inlaws craftsman oiless air compressor
    He had their service rebuild it and he rebuilt it with their parts twice
    And it was so loud that you had to step outside to hear one another
    I would keep looking.
    Bought this little piston pump USED 30 years ago , Its had 2 tanks rust out from under it and still going strong