Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Open drive banjo info

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Randysbelvedere, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Randysbelvedere

Randysbelvedere
    from Toronto

I recently traded up to a steel 29 roadster and I have a question about banjo axles.

The car has an open drive 47 pickup axle with coil overs and a fake quick change cover that I’d like to keep, but really don’t like the added width of the truck axle.

I’d like to either narrow the axle tubes and shafts, or is it possible to swap the bells and axles for passenger car parts?

I have a lot to learn about these vintage parts, but would appreciate some advice from those in the know.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alchemy

alchemy

Yes you can swap the axles and housings. You will need to make new mounts for the coilovers, but that is WAY easier than shortening stuff. I think 40 Ford parts should get you an inch per side.

3. Randysbelvedere

Randysbelvedere
    from Toronto

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

There is a web on the underside of the banjo center section, it runs from the outside down to the torque tube flange, it will have the #of teeth on each gear stamped into it... divide the smaller # [usually 9] into the larger #... this will give you the gear ratio that the car left the factory with... hope it helps...

5. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Another option, You could also swap entire rear axle with a car axle, then just add an open drive input.
    Then still have to add coil over mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. I’m doing this on my ‘28 Tudor. It depends I guess what your going to run for suspension besides the coils. I’m using a T spring over the axle with ‘36 bones. In this case it’s a ‘47 open center, ‘36 bells and ‘41 axles....makes it slightly wider then the stock A.

7. butch27

butch27

Can you post a pic of the rear? I want to change my spring over to coil overs.