Register now to get rid of these ads!

only run from the cops when you have a decoy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RayMiller, Aug 15, 2005.

1. RayMiller

RayMiller

This past weekend I found my self in a bad spot when I got the attention of the police with the tell tale signs of loud engine rpm. When the cop shined the spot light at me ( he was in on coming traffic at night) I freaked and hauled tail. My 55 is satin black and so is my buddy's 51 and the cop didnt know the difference and my buddy got pulled over. Not a problem though because he pointed out to the cop that the flatty 6 in his car is'nt loud nor fast and the cop let him go because he could not tell what the car was that he saw. So I got off and he got to yell at a cop, fun for all. I felt bad that my buddy got pulled over but he was'nt mad, he was actully proud, he got to tell a cop off which is his dream. I'd like to hear if anyone else has any good runnin from the law stories.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Decoy cars were the order of the day............back in the moonshine wars.....

But that's a another whole story .......for another day

3. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

thats a good one ..Heres one for you we were in my 50 ford with bias plys an straight pipes ...anyhow we were goin right and the bias plys were hmm barkin cuz we went a lil fast but I got pulled over cuz the Officer(pacman)
    trie to get me for exibitation of speed! I tol him all about the tires and how they arnt the best handling ....he continues to write this ticket so im gettin pissed startin to raise my voice he askes me to step outta my ford and continues to cuff me for arguing that i wasnt speeding ....so im cuffed and sittin on a curb with all my friens pointin an laughin! Here comes back up
    another officer pulls up walks around my ford a few times asks pacman why im cuffed and why i was pulled over..the 2nd officer says...the kids right its them bias plys uncuff him and apologise..that lil fucker looked so embarrased
    but i kept my cool told him it was a mistake but the older cop was tellin me about his days in shoeboxes as a kid..all in all it was kinda rad!

4. ian

ian

Hahaha...truly classic.

5. RayMiller

RayMiller

I used to have bias ply tires on my 55 but when they are all bald they dont handle well, damn firestones, plus I burnt the back ones to the point that they show cord, best 50 bucks I ever spent. worst rubber smell though.

6. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

hey i did a smokey leave at a stop sign after a cruise nite in my 50 PickupThe Nugget,sure as shit there was a cop around the corner he pulls me over and see the smoke billowing out of my rear fenders and says hey what the fuck are you doing..so i said that wasnt fucking me it was that honda that was in front of me,i drove into his smoke.he tells me go home and chases down the honda..HAHAHA
    but the very next day i went to Singer Island car show and was doing a U turn and romped on the gas..sure as shit there was a U.C.cop at the lite he pulls me over and says license and reg.so goes back to his car...comes back to me and says nice truck sounds good,but get the fuck off the island or i will through your ass in jail and impound the truck! so i left!!!
    lesson learned for now!

7. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

O man i have a bunch of stupid cop storys (me being the stupid one not the cop)

Me and my buddy were out cruiseing in my old 62 sedan deville one night. We were just out on the back roads driving around. We ended up going thru a small town at like midnight and the cop see's this big black caddy with flames on it and must of been attracted to it. He start fowling us. And i knew he was back there and i was shitting my pants cause at the time i had a restriction that i couldnt drive after 10:00 (another long story there)

So these two small town rookie cops pull us over and are having a feild day. they have me and buddy cuffed in the back the car in 2 min flat. Accused us of spray paiting shit cause the cans of paint in the back seat from the krylon flame job the night before on the caddy. Then the older county sherrif pulls up just as there writing us seat belt tickets and getting ready to tow the car cause i couldnt drive it back. when the cop starts yelling at them Telling them it never had seat belts and that my buddy could drive the damn car back.

It was funny to see them two rookies get lit up. But it wasnt funny having to have that damn restriction another 3 months when i was 2 weeks from being done with the first 6 :rolleyes: Some times you have to learn the hard way right.

8. Squablow

Squablow

If you can weasel out of getting a ticket for something harmless like burnouts or loud pipes, more power to you. But don't be "running from the cops" and starting a car chase or anything like that. No one needs to get killed to avoid a loud muffler warning.

Got pulled over in my old '69 C-10 for speeding once, almost got a ticket, cop told me he used to have one just like it, got off with a warning. Wouldn't have happened with anything new.

9. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Back in the day I had a '70 Nova SS. I lived in a rural area and was heading home from work late at night. I was moving along pretty good, and was a little surprised to notice a set of headlights back in the distance that seemed to be closing on me. Don't know why I thought it was a cop, but back then we always thought the cops had brighter headlights, and maybe that had something to do with it. So of course the thing to do was get on the gas. And guess what? This guy picks it up too, although he's about a half mile or so back, and it's pitch black out. So we're going through the twisties and all in a heavily wooded area. Being more familiar with the area, and maybe a bit dumber, I was stretching it out in him. After about 5 - 7 miles of this, I thought I'd lost him and headed towards home. A few minutes later, I park the car in my driveway, and as I'm about to get out, the cop comes cruising down the street. So instead of getting out of the car and having the guy spot me, I lie down and the seat and hope he doesn't realize I was the car he was chasing. Next thing I know, the guy's knocking on my window with the flashlight on me. Turns out the cop was pretty cool. He asked why I took off, and I said I thought someone was following me and was scared. He gave me a bit of a lecture, and then told me I had a nice car, and I should slow down so I don't smash it.

I had another instance many years later where I was going way fast and a cop passed me in the other direction. He hit the brakes and was trying to make a u-turn, but had to wait because of all the traffic. Not sure why he didn't hit the lights, but he probably didn't want to let me know he was coming, figuring I might take off. Which is exactly what I did. Got a good ways ahead of him before he finally turned around and got headed in my direction (I was keeping an eye on the rear view mirror the whole time). But by then I was up by a bunch of stores so I turned into a parking lot, parked the car, and spent about 15-20 minutes doing some shopping. Never saw him again.

I had a couple more similar situations. Not sure I'd call it fun, but it sure gets the blood pumping.

10. I think Deuce Roadster needs to spill his stories... cuz I have a feeling they're gonna be GOOD!;)

I actually had a local police officer "challenge" me to a race one day. I was 16 and had a Granada with a mighty "250" six... but it was "poseriffic" with the mags and all. He prolly thought it was a 5.0 or something. I was in the right lane, he pulled up next to me and shot me "the look", and pointed ahead, so I gave him "the nod" and waited til the yellow... to turn right! He took off like a bat outta hell, smoking tires and all, and I bailed to the right. It was pretty priceless...

Jay

11. Buddy had duplicate dark green '56 Ford F-100s up in Fife/Seattle, WA, one had hidden tanks under the bed, the other didn't.

12. I have a good story, but it involves a very not HAMB appropriate Lotus Europa and I haven't told it in years because no one ever believes me except the buddy that was with me riding shot gun.

13. Swingshift

Swingshift
    from Tacoma WA

I had a cop pull a gun on me in a parking garage in Seattle.I was doing burn outs around each corner in a 68 cougar .Once I got to the bottom he was sitting there with his gun drawn.Waiting for me.He stopped us,made us put our hands on the dash and called backupThree cops pulled up around us.One of the cops approached and asked what was under the hood.They made me get out and gave me a lecture about reckless driving and told to go home.When the cop who asked about my car left he did a little burn out in his cruiser and waved.I still think cops are the enemy but that one hadn't completly sucombed to the dark side.Thank god

14. Pyro

Pyro
    from Marcy, NY

Ok... this one involved a dirtbike but seeing as i dont have a lisence its all i got. The first day of summer break this year i decided to talk out my 72 hodaka wombat 125 that i just finished and see what it could do. i took it down highway 42 and was going pretty good (no more than 60 cause it breaks up round there with the nobbies) and low and behold theres a sheriff thats spots me on one of the side streets an promptly pulls me over. When he got out he asked is that a wombat and i said yes and he proceded to lecture me on y i shouldent be doing this and then told me how he used 2 ride hodakas back in the day. because of this and because i had no priors for this he gave me a warning and instead of impounding the bike he "offered" to ride it home while his partner followed behing w/ me in the truck. it turned out pretty sweet... no ticket, some cool stories and all of this wouldent of happened if i took out something new, man this vintage stuff rules!

15. One day on the road about a year ago I wrote this.

State Troopers..., Shoot over my bow...!

Had on hell of a daytrip last Friday..., I Drove down to Elmer Missouri to pick up some parts from Choprods and on the way back I was stopped by the State Patrol from 3 different states!!!!

1st was the Missouri State patrol..., he really didn't stop me but he let me know by his hand jestures that I was going a tad bit fast...! I smiled and saluted him for the courtesy warning!

Next I was about to pass a semi..., but he saw the Iowa Trooper off to the side and hit his Jake Brake and I got really close to his truck and backed off. The trooper pulled me over and said that he was going to give me a ticket..., But he did see the truck slowing down quickly..., so he gave me a written warning for following to close and not having up to date Ins. documentation!

Well shortly after entering Illinois I rounded a bend in the freeway and saw a trooper with the Radar... [​IMG]! So I slammed on the brake and saw my speedo go down to 75 mph in a 65 zone..., "Shit" Busted big time...!

He walked up to the car and before he could say anything..., I said that I know I'm guilty because I've been suffering from a terminal case of HUB disease..., and he asked what HUB disease was..., and I said it was an acronym for "Head Up But"...! [​IMG]

He laughed..., took my license, registration and Insurance card back to the cruiser. He returned back to the car and asked me what year all the car parts are from and I told him a 35 Ford and he told me that he has a 36...! (Maybe I can bribe him ) He said I'm going to give you a warning for the speeding and improper display of registration (wtf..., [​IMG])!

I said that can't be..., because my plates and everything are brand new...! So I stepped out of the car and low and behold somebody had cut off my year sticker with a razor blade...!!!! He the asked me if I had parked my car in Milwaukee because there has been a rash of registration thefts... !!!!

I've been ticket free for Many years and I did deserve to get tickets from each trooper that Friday..., but getting three warnings in three states is a good wake-up call...! [​IMG]

Don't want to give my record in trouble before getting my roadster on the road!!!!

16. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

okay okay okay, i got one. me and about 7 cars worth of guys went out and did crop circles in the local harbor freight parking lot one night. we left that place so full of black smoke it lingered for about 20 minutes under the lights. we were only there for about 5 minutes, we all left in a single file line, i was shotgun in the lead car 33 plymouth 5 window, pontiac 400...blah blah blah, anyway we "avoided" this one cop car who was trying to pull 4 of the seven over that didn't take a turn at one of the stoplights. (see avoiding and evading are two different things) in the end only two $5000.00 tickets were issued for wreckless driving! peelies in the parking lot at midnight where there is nobody but us hot rodders taking good care of the ozone

17. great story....I got a big grin on my face!

18. Snake9t9

Snake9t9

How does one get a wreckless driving ticket for anything done on private propertly (parking lot). I could see a vandalism citation but no way the wreckless driving would actually stick.

19. Marko

Marko

Snake, it has to do with public access. It is a public place, albeit privately owned. A DWI can also be issued is such a place. Now, if it was your "lower 40", do what you want, it is your property.

20. Snake9t9

Snake9t9

Ahhh, I see. Must be a real fine line there though.

21. Not all cops should get yelled at....our own "Bigdirty" is a cop in California....crimfighter and ticket writer during the night...hotrodder and good 'ol boy during the day. Wish all cops drove model a coupes.....lol

22. Jeffie James

Jeffie James

so me and my buddy bill are just finishing up an 8 week speed build of my 48 F-1, paint is still dryin on our way to the cumberland show, we break traffic at the 70-68 split and haul tail, we'd already missed a few good hours of beer, so its just me and him, hes in his 46 plymouth loud ass pipes high compression motor, nobody else on the road. sweet! so about five minutes into this pipe screamin get down, crown vic headlights pop on in the median, headedd the other way, SHIT!!!! im thinkin im screwed cause i got no title registration or anything, runnin a dealer tag. so the cop flies up behind me shoots around me and pulls bill over. ???? im thinkin, what the fuck?? so after a few minutes of watchin bill have to step outta the car and go thru the routine, the cops leaves in his own cloud of smoke throwin it sideways and down the road. we did about 70 the rest of the way.

23. autocol

autocol

i've got two, but i'm a good boy so they're second hand...

first, a mate gets pulled over driving a holden ute. it's pretty loud so the cop asks him to pop the bonnet (that's the hood kids!) because we can't change to big engines or anything without certificates from engineers and all that shit. the cop points his torch (that's a flashlight kids!) into the engine bay and, with the light on the intake, says:

"what is it?"

matey, thinking that the cop probably has at least half a clue what he's on about, says:

"oh, it's an edelbrock manifold with a holley 850." (no, the car was not a HAMB machine).

our cluey cop replies:

"look, don't lie to me mate, is it a V8 or not!?" :eek:

my second story is actually more of a joke/legend, but it relates to the decoy thing so it made me think of it.

five mates go out drinking, four of them are knocking back victoria bitters at record speeds, the other calmly sipping cokes. the bar staff, wanting to encourage the group for having a designated driver ("DD"), give the fifth guy free cokes all night while the other boys spend a bundle getting thoroughly tanked. come about eleven thirty, they finish up their drinks and head for the door.

"DD" starts stumbling as he gets to the exit, boots it open and stumbles outside, while the others wait by the door for a a couple of minutes. DD continues his way down the street, knocking over rubbish bins, hiccuping, swearing to himself, and falling twice on his way to his car. once there, he fumbles through his keys for nearly a minute before opening his car, climbing in and firing her up.

within a hundred metres the cops pull him over and pull out a breathalyser.

"sir, we have reason to believe you're driving under the influence of alcohol, so please blow into this tube until i say stop."

DD happily takes a deep breath and blows into the tube.

"i don't get it!" says the cop, "i just saw you stumbling down the street drunk as a skunk, and yet you've blown 0.00!"

"of course," says DD, "i'm the designated decoy!"

24. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

you owe your buddy a six pack.

25. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I was thinking the same thing. I have had cops refuse to come investigate a fender bender because it was in a parking lot (hence private property) In most states you can get a DWI anywhere, including your own property. I knew a guy who got one sleeping it off in the driveway. Funny thing was he had never driven, was out with friends and got wasted. They didn't want to face his irate wife so they just stuffed him in his car when they got him home. Poor sap somehow knocks the parking brake loose and the car rolls down the long driveway and smacks a tree which aroused the police suspicion and they stopped to check it out. He had the keys so was legally in control.

26. Outrunning the cops seems cool until you crash into someone's wife and kids... or someone's dad... and kill them.

I, myself, deserved every ticket I ever got... and have a lot of respect for police officers.

Sam.

27. rickkane

rickkane

About 30 yrs ago I had just bought a 64 Olds cutlass convertible and spent the day and evening riding around with freinds and drinking PBR, throwing the empties in the back seat. About 2:30 in the morning,I had just closed the Point Tavern, a little bar outside of Poland, Ohio, and was on my way home when the gumball machine went off in my rearview mirror. I was so blitzed I didn't realize the trouble I was in. It was a township cop, who I knew somewhat. When he walked up to my car he looked in the backseat and about fainted. There had to be 60 cans back there. He asked me how many of them I drank. I admitted to quite a few. He then asked me if I was going home, about 1/2 mile away. When I said yes he told me to get going and he would follow me. I got home and got out to thank him for letting me off. He said it was OK, he didn't think I posed a threat to anyone, because when he first started following me before he lit me up, I was going 8 miles an hour.

28. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm with Sam on this one. We have a cool little program in Indiana called the "safe driver" program or the "prosecutors diversion" program. You qualify if you don't have a ticket in the last two years, weren't going more than 25MPH over the limit and if you didn't get a seat belt ticket with your speeding ticket. You still pay the fine but you don't get anything on your record unless you get another ticket in the same county in the next 12 months. I don't sweat the tickets now and keep the speed within 25MPH of the limit. My record has been clean since Dec. 1992 thanks to this.

However Dec 1992 was a 104 in a 55 ticket that might sound funny and make for a good story but I got almost $700 in tickets, my car got impounded and I could have lost my license for six months. I got another ticket in January of 1992 for 119 in a 65 that should have taught me. That resulted in actual jail (which wasn't fun) and another huge batch of money in tickets, lawyer, impound fees, towing, etc...and I very nearly got the shit kicked out of me by a Shelby County sheriff that didn't see the humor either. A state cop kept that from happening and I don't badmouth State cops anymore. I was lucky I didn't kill myself or anyone by going that fast on public roads (even though there are some public roads that you could do that relatively safely). Anyway, "running" might make for a good story but it can make for some really shitty ones too.
    My friend Jim lost a $17k 67 Mustang GT convertible trying the same thing (totalled and insurance DOES NOT have to cover that and didn't). He also lost his license for 1 year, spend about $4k in court costs, lost his job, and has permanant damage to his body from the accident.

Not to be a buzzkill here anything..... just don't wanna see anyone get hurt. We've all probably been lucky one or two too many times already.
    So take it to the HAMB drags!!!!!

29. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Rememeber a LOT of Police Officers are car guys. Most times if you are not a total A hole they will let you go. After talking to a few it would seem that when they do let you go you think you got over on them but they know whats what and just let you go. Ratrodray buddy sound like a jerk. His DREAM is to tell a cop off?? Get a life dude.

30. atch

atch

at the very least...