Register now to get rid of these ads!

Only in America OT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fab32, Jan 20, 2006.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just watching the Barret- Jackson auction. A 1967 Corvette went for $200,000. Thought that was a little high but hang on. A 1969 Z-28 Camaro just went for $205,000. Wonder if I can talk my son out of the '69 Z I gave him for his 16th birthday.

Frank

2. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Who would think that someone would pay that kind of money for a CHEVY:eek:

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

True story Frank...1975 and I'm stationed at Altus AFB, Oklahoma. On the base 'For Sale' lot sits a 1969 Z-28 'numbers matching' 302 Camaro. I buy it for $1295 and rebuild the front suspension(it's 6 years old). Everything else is nice on the car. I traded it and $1000 a year later for a 1967 Corvette Convertible. I sold the Vette a year later for $4700(1977). Hindsight is 20-20.:rolleyes:

4. jdubbya

jdubbya

I have been watching it off and on myself. I about fell over the other night when an Amphicar sold for $115K.

5. That's the one that my jaw dropped on too .....some people have more money then common sense I guess..

6. <-----That Amphicar was from here.

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I am holding out....gonna keep my moms dirt brown AMC sport Pacer!!
    I feel big moneys is a coming.

8. lowburban

lowburban

Last night a 63 Impala SS vert went for $138,000. I thought that was a little much.

9. ARNIE

ARNIE

++++++++++++++
    That one even Shocked me!! The Sky is a different color in the Barrett-Jackson World!!

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I guess I'll keep my '91 Caprice Wagon forever and my daughter can sell it and retire........at 25 yrs old.

11. Mootz

Mootz

I seriously wonder if it is just a status thing....surely these guys realize that they could walk out to their car, plug in their laptop and buy pretty much the same car on the bay or anywhere for that matter for half the price...surely.

Mootz

12. What sucks is that people that have vehicles to sell are watching also and somehow think their stuff is worth in the six figures.

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Frank....you are one cool Grand Dad... I would have loved to have a man like you as a Grandfather.

Corvettes, Camaros and Muscle cars are doing really well at Barrett-Jackson.
    The street Rods have not done as well. And of course.....NO HAMB style vehicles even crossed the block.

I saw 6 or 7 cars cross the block ( that I had like them in the past ) add up to over half a million dollars for the bunch......easy

I had a 65 Z16
    67 SS Chevelle 396 - 375
    67 Z28
    68 Z28
    69 Z28
    69 Nova SS 375 aluminum head 4 speed
    70 Chevelle LS6

Oh well...cannot cry over the past. In 1979..I sold the 69 RS Z28 to buy a house ( that I still have ) and the 70 LS6 to buy furniture and stuff for the house ( so my wife would be HAPPY :) ) and I still have her....:D So I came out GOOD....

At least........I did not sell the 32 Roadster ...:rolleyes:

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Pretty sure it's just an ego thing...remember my 'Look at me' post? These guys know the cameras are on them so they milk it for all it's worth...they're just payin' for their 15 minutes of fame...

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't think so. Joe adverage isn't going to be watching the SPEED Channel, and even if he does flip by it channel surfing why would he stop? Just about as much chance of me stopping to watch some sweaty morons playing basketball or hockey.

16. Barrett Jackson is for investors not car collectors. Stu

17. i've run into this a few time in the last 5 or 6 years. it really is affecting asking prices where i live. there's a 53 riviera down the road thats been sitting there for sale for about 4 or five years. it's a $1000 piece of shit only because it still has the side trim on it. he wants $7500 because he saw one on barrett-jackson go for .............

they sold one on barrett-jackson for ..........whatever. is a common sales pitch around here.

still fun to watch though

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

$210,000 for a 1953 Ford truck!!!:eek: CRAZY :eek:

19. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Hey there makin a come back!

20. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

when i hear some one say anything about what one sold for and thiers is worth this much i will start asking about that car and how nice it was. then tell them what a pile of shit this car is and start throwing out numbers to make the car as nice as the one they saw sell for X (always adds up to more then the car sold for) and make them a real offer on the car.

21. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

This is just plain crazy this year. There are way too many old guys will too much money.:eek:

22. sean72

sean72

DANG DEUCE! You had some nice Chevys. Any pics of the Z16 or '67 Z/28?

Sean

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

For $1,150,000.00 I'd have a T head MERCER and a change, not a Chevelle convertable!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The insanity continues. Ray Allens '70 LS-6 Chevelle convertible just sold for $1,150,000. We used to run against that car in Super Stock and I'm here to tell you it was one awesome sumbitch. He was just at the micophone relating some of the stories about running the car, and talked about it winning $40,,000 in a one month period. That car put Truppi-Kling Performance on the map. I'll bet very few here even remember Truppi-Kling but they were one of the premier Drag car prep shops on the east coast and built many top contenders.
    Anyway, I'm sure Ray Allen is sure glad he kept the car all of these years and supervised it's recent restoration. Damn good money for a "stock" 454 chevelle.:eek:

Frank

25. JamesG

JamesG

BJ is for guys with HUGE bank accounts and really small.....well, you know.

And I don't know weather to laugh cry about the whole thing.

On one hand these guys are showing their ego's to the world and that makes me laugh, but on the other hand they are flooding the market with WAAAAAYYYYYY over priced cars that they will have to keep for ever or until they die and their wives are left to try and sell for whatever she can.

Then again, if you could run into that women, she would have one hellova bank account, probably a GREAT car collection, and for once she would finally be sassified in other ways that weren't possible with her late husband!

LOL!!!!!

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Most of what you see are Dealers buying back their cars and looking for a fool...... Sometimes a jerk takes the bait ands joins in

Often the dealer will bring it to another auction in time and say'' This sold for $X00000000!'' 'Give me 1/2 that'

Yes cars sell but not all and not for the money you see!!! ''SELL'' is a technical term meaning different things to you and me than them

And if you think a dealer supporting B/J with cars all year is paying any of the ''premiums'' WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THE EASTER BUNNY!!!!

So Boys & Girls this is a Dog and Pony Show That sometimes catches that fool that still has an Eldo Convert 0 miles bagged in storage! BET IT'S RED w/White top!!!!!!

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Old guys only still have money by being SMART are no buyin into this SHIT!

28. Bluto knows the score, lots of those guys are buying back the cars they brought. They pay the fees as an investment to raise the perceived value of the car. The dude that bought the Chevelle however, he looks very familiar, just cant place him.

29. sawzall

sawzall

I have always wondered about this.. I mean really did that olds "concept car" that was sold last year really go for over 1 million? or did the buyer and seller prearrange the sale and then run the car through B.J. for the "ratings" or the "glory"

who knows?

but then again..

who the hell cares...

30. Anderson

Anderson