Register now to get rid of these ads!

one piece sbc rear main seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stitchn, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Stitchn

Stitchn

I have replaced two piece rear main seals but not the one piece. Any tips so that it will install & not leak the first time. I know the engine & trans need to be separated, but would like some tips on how to remove & replace the one piece seal correctly.

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

I just did the same job but it was a fresh engine with a cleaned up crank and the oil pan off.The seal is pressed into an aluminum retainer held to the block by four 1/4 inch fasteners.Remove fasteners,carefully pull off the seal retainer.There's two notches in the retainer so you can use a screwdriver to pry out the old seal.Check the crank end for damage where the seal rides,if it's pitted or scored,the crank may have to be removed to be lightly machined.If the crank is ok,clean everything up,remove any burrs on the retainer,put a smear of gasket sealer,not RTV, on the outside of the seal,best to press it in with a dedicated seal driver but the traditional block of wood and hammer works if you have experience with that sort of thing.There's a half gasket that goes between the block and retainer,more gasket sealer,some grease on the seal,bolt it back into place.
    Ok,your engine is in place with the oil pan installed? I haven't done the job this way,but I assume you can wiggle the retainer out without destroying the pan gasket.
    Someone else here likely has more experience replacing the seal with the pan on and will speak up!And for kicks,do check a repair manual too.

3. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Don't bother pulling the aluminum retainer, pry the old seal out using the previously mentioned notches. Clean the rear surface of the crank and inspect. Install new seal with a seal driver, or the block of wood and hammer. If it makes you feel good, put a little bit of sealer around the outside of the seal, and out the edges of the oil pan about an inch. Re-assemble.

Pulling the aluminum retainer only disturbs another sealing surface to start another leak.

4. Retrorod

Retrorod

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS CENTERED!! Too many guys replace a leaky seal only to find that the alignment of the rear plate (seal retainer) in NOT centered on the crankshaft. Here at the 'ol Dealership we have cool tools from Kent-Moore to make sure all these components are indexed properly. These one piece seals DON'T LEAK when properly installed.

5. Stitchn

Stitchn

Thanks for the help, Gotta love the Hamb.