Register now to get rid of these ads!

One of those seasons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucklz, Sep 21, 2009.

1. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

I had hoped to have a nice cruise season with my newly acquired '49 Baby Lincoln. She had some tinkering that needed done but should have easily made it through the season. The overdrive was not hooked up and missing the relay; the stock side draft carb was tempermental; the pusher fan wasn't enough to make it through a traffic jam; etc. Enough piddlin stuff to give me a reason to spend my day off in the garage but not miss any of the events I was planning to attend, i.e. Salina, Greaserama, cruise nights around the metro. I made a couple of shows earlly in the season and had some great response.
    I ran through the list getting ready for Salina. Getting the overdrive, the last thing, working would make the trip so much easier on me and the car. I bought a newly manufactured relay and wired her up. The OD worked like a charm for around 60 miles. Then it devoured itself. I was told the culprit was the 90w gear lube. I did not choose this as the lubricant but I probably would have if it had needed any.
    I have been looking for replacement parts for my R-11 overdrive since early July. I finally bought a transmission adapter from Bendsten's. (I am going to try to do a thread on the conversion) The bright side would be I still have my Comet with that fresh 200/I6 backed by a T-5 to drive to the shows.
    Wrong! The Comet won't stay running to the end of the block. I have played the fuel, fire, timing game so many times I wade through distributors, carbs, ingnitions and timing chains when I pass through the garage. Each functions on its own but not as a whole. I am so aggravated. I don't know if I am going to push her to the curb come trash day or set her in the field until I can get to a cookie cutter M2/V-8 swap.
    It is spilling into the OT vehicle, too! The Honda SW is leaking oil down the sparkplug tubes; the MINI's fuel pressure regulator is clicking like a lifter gone bad; I smell antifreeze in the Lightning; the dresser has a hesitation during acceleration; the corks on the pushrod tubes for the knucklehead are spewing oil; I am afraid to start the lawn mower (well thats the excuse I give the wife for not cutting the grass.)
    All of this keeps pushing my truck build back. I know my neighbors are tired of seeing that pickup cab setting on saw horses with axles, differentials and stock piled around it.
    I keep telling myself its the joy of vintage vehicles. I know I am just bellyaching. If anyone else feels this pain let me know. Maybe we can start a group. You know, a message board where we can lament the mysteries of traditional hotrodding and kustoms....

2. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I feel your pain.
    I was painting Sunday and everything was going too good. The brakes on the Bugatti are wetness away from being done and the motor is a day away from pollutin.
    The suburban got a fender painted to play with, and perfect yellow and black checkerboard scallops. I went through a storage shed, 1957 ranch wagon projectus nextus, looking for a part" I know I have" and that was 2 hours wasted. I got the Sterritt block outta the DD burb that has been laughin at me for two months. I had to get the Bug. on wheels to get the cherry picker out and lift 300? lbs of black granite. The wife likes the "new" silverado more than the 72 burb cause it has A/C. (still 99 degrees here.) and on, and on ,and on.