Register now to get rid of these ads!

Once and future hot rodder

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by mynode, Oct 8, 2012.

1. mynode

mynode

So, what am I doing here you ask?

Well apart from the fact that I like to talk about cars, I've been giving some thought to building one again. About 10 years ago I sold all my cars and concentrated on motorcycles, but I’ve got the itch for a car again. I once had a 1970 Corvette with a ZZ502, a 1971 240Z and a 1972 El Camino SS - all at the same time. I’m thinking about something older this time, a flathead perhaps.
    I’m considering building something a little different than the traditional hot rod. I have this background story bouncing around in my head: It’s the early 1950s and a hot rodder with a good grasp of engineering and decent fabrication skills sees a slinky Italian berlinetta in a magazine and says to himself, “I could build one of those”.
    This car should be a blast to drive in the street. It doesn’t have to be all that powerful, but it should be light and agile. My old 240Z was set up for autocross and it was an absolute joy to drive in the street and that’s what I miss the most. This would definitely be an ambitious project to execute with early 50s technology, but I believe all the necessary elements would have been available.
    Who am I to contemplate such an ambitious project? A fool perhaps or a dreamer, but I have a lot of relevant skills. I’ve rebuilt and modified numerous engines, transmissions and all the other systems one finds in a car. I have a lathe and mill and MIG and TIG rigs backed up by decent amateur skills. I’ve done body work and painted cars and motorcycles, even wild stuff like candy apple over old school metalflake and hand pinstriping. I’ve even done a bit of hand-formed sheet metal work. My current project is developing a programmable electronic ignition for motorcycles.

2. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Hello from Guthrie OK

3. It sounds different, but thats not always bad. In any case, welcome to the HAMB. Hope you like it here.

4. Vet65te

Vet65te

Welcome fron Sonoma County. I grew up in the Sunset District of the "City".
    Mike T

5. mynode

mynode

I live in the Inner Sunset.
    I'll say it even though it goes without saying: *LOVE* your Vettes!

6. RH2795

RH2795

Welcome from New York.

7. Vet65te

Vet65te

Mynode, thanks, most of those cars started out as major projects, the types that get 'towed home'. I was a bit further west of you, on 38th Ave between Kirkham & Lawton. When you find a new project, post up some pics.
    Mike T.