Register now to get rid of these ads!

On the road again—Got My A Roadster back in action after a 30 year hiatus!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Oct 6, 2008.

1. I say some of the stuff you accomplished would be damn near worthy of last weeks tech week. Outstanding job. -Weeks

2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Bloody hell, excellent job!!!!!!!

3. I love it!!! Hate to say it, but you can buy a pre-made complete wiring harness for dirt cheap, and takes like 45 minutes to install :D But, your set up looks great, car looks awesome!!! Now get back on it...oh and, watch that 2 bladed fan...prone to cracking apart!

4. ratman

ratman

Very cool great work

5. Megan,

Great job, the thread put a big smile on my face.

CBB

6. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

How cool. Hope my daughter gets into it like you are Megan. Look forward to reading your progress.

7. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Just what I was thinking. As good as any tech we've had.
    Thoroughly enjoyable reading. :)

8. Amen, brother.

9. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

OUTSTANDING,Great work!

10. megan you ROCK! great work!

11. kruzr

kruzr

looks great.........nice work

12. kisam

kisam

You rock Megan! So happy for you!

13. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

This is great! I love watching you get this little A up and running. Keep us updated. Can't wait to see what is next.

14. sololobo

sololobo

It doesn't get any cooler than this sweet machine. That banger sounds so great. Super work Megan, you rule!! -Sololobo/Larry

15. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Girls rule while the boys drool!

16. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Good job, congrats! and that "custom" exhaust sounds great!!!

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

so cool
    its going to be hard to get that grin off your face....isnt it?

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

What a super story. I've been following since you first discovered it. Your rescue is absolutely perfect and the fact your doing it yourself is priceless.
    This reminds me of the first Model A, a '29 coupe, I had in 1960. I found it in a leanto shed outside Alpena, MI. The guy had it and a '31 2dr and was headed for Alaska to homestead some land. He sold me the A with the warning it hadn't run in years. My dad towed me home (Oscoda, MI, Wurtsmith Air force Base) on the end of a rope in February. Much like you I nursed it to running condition and drove it to Pennsylvania the following spring to visit my grandparents. While there my grandfather and I replaced the drivetrain with a '48 flathead out of the schoolbus he had that I rode to school in the first two years. Too much for this thread, you just got me reminising, sorry.
    Anyway, You've done an excellent job reviving the old girl (they are all female to us guys) and I wish you many miles of roadster cruising. I can't wait to see 'HER' in person. Oh yea, GOTTA KEEP THE FENDERS.:cool::D

Frank

19. Nice job Mama! You rule!

Bummed we won't see ya this weekend but have fun!!!!!

20. Tony

Tony

Very cool Megan!
    I'm happy for you..that's a great little car and obviously in the right hands!

Tony

21. Brandi

Brandi

RIGHT ON!!! Congrats, Megan! You've busted ass on that. What's next on the agenda?

22. camargma

camargma

its definitely fate with the tootsie wrapper! its looking absolutely great and keep up the hard work!

23. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

I'm impressed.................Well done Megan.:)

24. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

WOW!!! Too cool.

Loved the video. Couldn't see too much in the dark, but your grin was hard to miss!!

25. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

Congrats, on a real nice car.

Very impressed you done it all yourself.

26. NOT SO JOLLY ROGER

NOT SO JOLLY ROGER
    from Tennessee

27. NoPaint

NoPaint

The car looks amazing! Just so you know the exhaust looks like it could a Porsche part. Often times the Porsche guys put on the dual and quad outlet mufflers out back (where the engine is). Once you get it off and a single exit exhaust installed you will probably like it even more and if it is a Porsche muffler you could make about $200-$400 off that piece!

28. greaser

greaser

You GO Girl. How sweeeet it is! Reminds me of when my older brother paid 35 bucks for a 29 pickup. Us young-uns towed it around the house about six times to get it running (No way). We towed it home and asked dad to have a look........I can still remember dad bending the points with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. Fired right up!
    Those are memories that stay with you, and your makin memories for the little guy also!
    Great writing and GREAT job!

29. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I just can’t stop smiling everytime I think about my little A!

You betcha! Christmas is coming :D

Good thing I am up on my tetanus shot! It is funny you mention Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: a girl (probably 11 at the most) referenced that movie in terms of a roadster just last week. I was really impressed with her!

I think I’ll try that tonight, they will sooooo think I’m serious!

I totally agree on the bonding part. Last night I had to panic stop and the car stayed straight and didn’t pull left or right. Made me feel like I’d done a pretty good job!

Lots of people have told me the A sounds like an old Ford tractor, I’m ok with that :D
    The clutch and tranny work great. The clutch was stuck at first but nothing a big pry bar didn’t remedy quickly. It must really be a good clutch. I was messing with the timing and the idle last night while rounding a corner in 3rd. I stalled it out, popped the clutch and got her going again without missing a beat. I love my little A :D

What a neat story, thanks for sharing. I had been joking with my old man friends that if I couldn’t get the banger motor going I would sacrifice and put a Flattie in. Glad I got the banger going! I’m sure you will meet her soon enough. Her name is Vera, you’ll have to ask next time I see ya! ;) :D