Register now to get rid of these ads!

on the frame!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by laid 54, Mar 21, 2009.

1. laid 54

laid 54

Hey guys, just got her on the frame, getting ready to channel...just would like to hear what you guys think so far, and i'll try to get some more pics uploaded for ya :)

Attached Files:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Channel? What? Gonna sink it into the concrete shop floor?
    Might look tough but won't get much milleage on it that way.

Oh. Wait a minute! You're using those old-style traditional air bags under that car, aren't you?

Sorry.

3. laid 54

laid 54

yeah i started savin for the bags when i was in 6th grade...finally have it all pieced together now that im in 11th

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i'll give it up to ya, looks sick.

5. striper

striper

That shows a lot of persistence for someone your age. Good to see you know what you want and keep at it. Looks good so far.

6. laid 54

laid 54

thank you for the kind words guys, i really appreciate it!

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

keep us posted on your progress, i'm always interested in 53/54 chevs of any flavor.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Looks tough. Great progress, so far. Keep it up...

9. laid 54

laid 54

will certainly do! basically everything im doing to mine is going to be as period correct as i can get it (other than laying on the bags) i will keep you posted man, and thanks for the feed back!

10. laid 54

laid 54

heres another shot from earlier

Attached Files:

11. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

Im really liking it

12. laid 54

laid 54

thanks guys, i really appreciate it! i have some pics from the chop on my profile if anyone is interested in seeing them, but thank you for the comments

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Alright, spill you guts. How much is the chop and is there anything particularly different about this one because it looks perfect! Keeping that rear window can always be a bit more tricky so tell us.

14. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

is it really on the groung because it looks about 4 in off the ground

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I'm going to have to see more of this one. Looks good from here.

16. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

17. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

18. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I think he means he just got the body on the frame?

regardless, I'm impressed you've been saving for 5 years! Props to you buddy!

Did you do all that metalwork yourself? If so, count me doubly impressed!

Oh and forgive my ignorance of Chevys, but are you gonna sink that rear window or cut it or ?

My friend has a chopped '54 with a shoebox ford rear window, now I see why!

19. laid 54

laid 54

hey thanks man! i'll be honest, this's been the deepest hole i've dug for myself in my 16 years of life....BUT ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT! i got the car when i was in 8th grade and i knew i wanted to chop it. this's my first chop so im really glad to hear that you like it! i knew from the start that i wanted to keep the original wrap around rear glass in it....even though my dad, ron, and ed (the guys who've trained my to beat on sheet metal since i was a little kid and have taught me everything i know about metal work) strictly advised against it. but me (being "young and dumb") didnt take the advice and kept the glass. it took about 2 years to get the roof in its current condition but im really happy with it. i started out by measuring everything out (about a million times) and decided to go with 4" out of the lid, i figured it was a somewhat safe cut since that was the magic number that everybody seems to pick.. not really anything out of the ordinary on this one, other than keeping the pilars straight and sinking the rear window frame. i'll put the process pics up if you'd like?

20. laid 54

laid 54

that last post was for jefferey james, sorry if it seems out of nowhere haha... but thank you very very very much for the comments everybody, i really appreciate them! they give me inspiration because its tough to get guys to take me seriously because im a 16 year old kid... but thanks again guys,

and YES all the metal work is my own, i could not consider this my car if anybody did my work for me : )

the rear window frame has been sunk so the rear wrap around is gettin' sunk into the body....im i have the stainless all reworked to fit around it too, it has to have a little more finessing done but will be done soon, i'll be sure to have pics up of that.

thanks again for everything guys!

caleb

21. laid 54

laid 54

just saw knucklehead's post, it is 3 in. off the ground, but that is on stock belly, the trunk and rear hump are all cut out, but im gonna cut the rest of the floor out tomorrow to channel it.....its gonna have the rockers on the ground when 100% done, sorry about the title, i just realized its misleadin, sorry about that man

22. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

All I can say is they learned you right!

I'd love to see more pics of this car!

When you roll up in that ride, believe me, everybody who's anybody will take you seriously!

23. primed34

primed34

I thought you were kidding about being in the 11th grade. I am truly impressed with your work.

24. laid 54

laid 54

thank you very much man! i have i few hundred pics i've taken of it and im in the process of sending them all from my phone to the computer right now...takes forever but i'd love to get some more pics up on here! thank you again for the kind words man

caleb

25. 2Hep

2Hep

Hey no sweat, it took me 2 years to get my roof right on my '56 and I'm 33, so props to you! Looks great! What are you using for seats?
    -Brian

26. laid 54

laid 54

I thought you were kidding about being in the 11th grade. I am truly impressed with your work.

thank you very much!:) wasnt kidding about being in 11th grade.... my moms about ready to KILL me because she's on the prom commitee thing for my school..........and i just informed her that im skipping prom to work on the sled:D thanks again man

caleb

27. laid 54

laid 54

hey thanks man! im hoping to locate some cool old t-bird buckets, do you think they would look right in it??

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you're well on your way to having a very sick car, and judging from your attitude, you'll go far in general. not many 16 year old kids around that are as well spoken, gracious and open to suggestion as you seem to be. your daddy did something right. keep up the good work and keep us posted. it really is looking good so far.

29. laid 54

laid 54

will for sure keep you guys posted! and thank you, i am very grateful when people are willing to say good things about my work and are willing to help me with advice and suggestions, it means alot to me because i see so many people that arent willing to help anybody....its great to talk to people who actually care about others and are willing to help, it means alot man.

caleb